Video Games Thread

Well I rented Modern Warfare 2 and wasn't impressed. Hype always pisses me off. Sure, Infinity Ward has a mastery of creating FPS games that companies like Bungie will never know, but I've just gotten too soft and found this one ridiculously difficult. I laugh my ass off thinking about how many times I was hit by snowmobiles and crashed into trees and stuff like that though. :D

If my PC can handle it, I'll try to get my hands on that version, otherwise it's just another FPS game I played and forgot about.

So to summarize: great but non-surprising game - Infinity Ward (and Valve) own the FPS genre - way too much emphasis for online multiplayer - way too much hype - I keep seeing snowmobile lights whenever I close my eyes - the game is hard for me cause I suck. :D

I recently started playing Boarderlands on the PC and my-god this game is addictive. Bazillions of guns, in-game mods, great-ever-evolving story telling, superb AI. When you (Korruption) say that Infinity Ward and Valve own the FPS genre, Boarderlands will make you second guess that statement.

Consider Gearbox an honorable mention then. :D Actually, they did make the "Opposing Force" expansion for Half-Life (along with 2 others I think?), which was the first one I played.

MW2 is godly. It is a bit more difficult than other COD games though, so that may well be a turn off for some. I love it to death, can't get enough of it. So freaking epic.

Borderlands is also killer, but it is way too grindy for my taste, and the story is a bit bland for my liking. I love the look, the RPG gameplay and the guns, but the execution is a bit on the weak side for me.

I just picked up Dragon Age: Origins for my computer last week and it has pretty much taken over my life. I think I'm getting close to the end now, which is a good thing since once I finally beat it I will be able to pay attention at work again :lol:.

Been a while since anyone posted in this thread, so here it goes:

My recent gaming exploits include the completion of the godly Mass Effect 2. Very different mechanics from the first game, some good, like the tighter shooting and the thermal clips, some bad, like the lack of experience points from killing enemies, instead only from missions. But really, at its core its still the same game, amazing story, epic as all hell in every way.

Final Fantasy XIII - Good JRPG, way to fucking linear. Still, great story, amazing combat, beautiful visuals = Better than your average game.

Suikoden Tierkreis - Amazingly fun handheld RPG, just as good as the console versions, although sadly set in a parallel world, so no familiar characters, and no new True Runes.

Tons of others, but those are the ones worth mentioning.

I'm in the midst of playing Bioshock 2. A decent successor to Bioshock set 10 years after the events of the previous game you play as a Big Daddy wandering the depths of Rapture fighting off Splicers, Rosie, the new Big Sister and adopting little sisters to help harvest ADAM for you to buy new Plasmids and Gene Tonics.

The game is good, the story is very well written, I just wish that they would have improved the graphics more and cranked up the pace of the game a bit. Overall I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

I also just finished Aliens vs. Predator from Rebellion studios. While the first stage of single player missions is just a boring FPS, with very few scares or make you jump in your seat points in the game, the one thing that really impressed me was twofold - the attention to detail was outstanding both in terms of texture mapping and character design, but also all the little things that make you think back to the Alien and Predator movies - the second thing is the fluidity of the graphics - during one part of the Marine campaign, you get stuck in a tunnel, with only flares, a dim flashlight and muzzle flashes from an movement tracking machine gun for illumination. The eerie red glow of the flare illuminates a swarm of Aliens coming towards you, crawling up the walls, across the ceiling, pulling themselves out of air ducts. It's so fluid and full of detail, for a moment you find yourself thinking that you're there in James Cameron's Aliens.

The Alien missions are pretty cool and simple. Kill or harvest the humans, free the Queen and wreak havoc. You have the ability to walk on any surface, have multiple attack modes and your vision automatically adjusts to being in the dark.

The Predator missions were my favorite. As you progress through the campaign you start as a juvenile Predator on his first hunt, collecting your weapons along the way, and honoring your fallen brothers, as you leap from tree top to building top. At one point most of your weapons are one shot, one kill type weapons, which does take some of the fun out of the game, but lends perfectly for stealth stalker mode.

In the end the game definitely could use improvements - more levels instead of the same 6-10 that you repeatedly go through during the course of all 3 campaigns. More ALIENS vs. PREDATOR! Very rarely does the aliens encounter a predator, and when the predator encounters aliens there needs to be substantially more aliens. Most of the time you're simply killing humans who stand no chance against alien acid or a predator combi-stick. Controls. While fighting the game flows smoothly - until you have to interact with a control panel, sever a security guard's head, recharge your power, pickup a battery etc, at which point you need to stand in exactly the right spot, hold the "E" key and wait for the cutscene to end, during which you're open to attack AND taking damage.

On a scale of fun-ness I give it a 8/10 on the first play through.
But because of the improvements needed I have to give Aliens vs Predator a 6/10

I downloaded a short demo of God of War 3, and from the short bit I played, Im definately going to buy it when it comes out tomorrow.

Lately Ive just been on a MW2 craze, shits amazing in my opinion.

I've been playing Mass Effect 2 the last couple weeks after finally ironing out some graphic issues, had to replace my faulty 8800GT and got a Radeon HD 4890, great card so far! And I'm loving ME2 just as much if not more than the first one. I also have Modern Warfare 2, but haven't played it yet. My next purchase will likely be Assassin's Creed 2 (just released for PC today actually), but that will be a few weeks down the road. Anyone tried Metro 2033...looks like an interesting FPS.

I've been playing Mass Effect 2 the last couple weeks after finally ironing out some graphic issues, had to replace my faulty 8800GT and got a Radeon HD 4890, great card so far! And I'm loving ME2 just as much if not more than the first one. I also have Modern Warfare 2, but haven't played it yet. My next purchase will likely be Assassin's Creed 2 (just released for PC today actually), but that will be a few weeks down the road. Anyone tried Metro 2033...looks like an interesting FPS.

My game haul for today was:
Metro 2033 (X-Box 360)
Resonance of Fate (PS3)
Dragon Age Origins: Awakening (PS3)

I have to finish up Final Fantasy XIII in the next three days, as my girl gets back from Southern California visiting family, so my game time will be drastically reduced. Once I knock that one out of the park i'll pick up Metro 2033 so I can have a break from the RPGs. Once I finish that, its on to Dragon Age, as that one is supposed to be no more than 15-20 hours, then its on to Resonance, as that is a full blown epic RPG.

It is a CRAZY time for games. The next three months have so many releases it is ridiculous. Gotta pace myself and my wallet! :headbang:

Perfect Dark for XBLA should be coming out tomorrow, back to ol-school goodness! Nothing to say right now cause I haven't played it in years. I liked the multiplayer but didn't play jack of the single player mode. One thing I hate that they didn't improve were the lights. Oh fuck those things were/will be painful!

300px-RyuHayabusa.jpg
>
kratos.jpg

:D

As soon as I can afford to buy a new game I'm going to get whatever awesome new first person shooter is out... Someday soon hopefully lol. i'll be getting Halo Reach for sure though, even if I have to sell my shoes! -j

I'd got with Metro 2033, as it is fucking atmospheric as hell. If you want the best, go with Killzone 2... godly. Fuck MW2... good game, but nothing on the aforementioned ones.

Final Fantasy XIII... what a piece of fucking shit. Someone needs to remind Squenix that they should be making games, not interactive movies... Ugh, what an abortion. Grr and things.