Want to Learn How to Use a DAW

Crunch Master

n00b Extraordinaire
Dec 25, 2010
I don't know much at all about how to use recording software. And I'm having a hard time just getting a program and hardware even set up, let alone do anything with it. I am literally starting from ground level square one.

I have installed the Reaper demo and the FL Studio demo. These seem like good programs, but I'm not sure which one I should start out with and try to learn.

I just got a POD HD500, and I'd like to use that for my guitar sounds for now.

Beyond this I want to of course have a way to make drum tracks for my songs. I've heard that to start out with I should just get some drum loops, and arrange those before getting into making my own from scratch.

I do not have studio monitors, but only a pair cheap PC speakers and/or AKG k271 headphones to use.

So far I got the Reaper and FL studio demos installed, and the related ASIO drivers, and my HD500 and drivers as well.

One thing that I don't understand so far, is how I can, or if it's even possible to be able to have both my regular PC sound and my DAW sound working simultaneously. Suck as I may have an instructional video playing in one window, and also have the DAW open and audible.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what to do when I have my HD500 connected, which wants to use it's own ASIO drivers, and a DAW wants to use another. How can this work?

So yeah, I need a lot of advice and direction here, and I hope you guys can help me...

uninstall fl studio, learn reaper.

Set internal soundcard as default soundcard

Reaper -> POD -> Headphones
Redtube -> PC soundcard -> PC Speakers

If you want them come out from the same source, like the PC speakers, get a small mixer like Behringer Xenyx 1002

Buy Pro Tools...the most intuitive and easy to use DAW IMHO.
If you want something cheap, go for Reaper...

...and if you want to improve your skills quick in audio, you must read
a lot this forum and...

rtfm_noob.jpg

...of every piece of software/gear you have.

Reaper FTW. STEEEEEEEP learning curve, though. I started on Kristal and got very familiar with it, but still tripped over reaper.

But once you fall in love, you fall forever. I'll never want another (DAW) in my life.

OK, it seems that Reaper may not be the best place for me to start off as total and complete n00b. I see Protools mentioned as perhaps more n00b friendly. But I think Protools requires specific hardware, and I don't think the other hardware I have is compatible. I have a a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP interface to run my mics into when I feel ready to do that. So I want a DAW that will be compatible with it, which I suppose Prtools is not.

I would really much prefer the most n00b friendly, intuitive DAW that I can start out with that will be compatible with my Focusrite unit. I want to be making music sooner than later if at all possible. Is there one that you can recommend to me? What about Cubase or Ableton?

OK, it seems that Reaper may not be the best place for me to start off as total and complete n00b. I see Protools mentioned as perhaps more n00b friendly. But I think Protools requires specific hardware, and I don't think the other hardware I have is compatible. I have a a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP interface to run my mics into when I feel ready to do that. So I want a DAW that will be compatible with it, which I suppose Prtools is not.

I would really much prefer the most n00b friendly, intuitive DAW that I can start out with that will be compatible with my Focusrite unit. I want to be making music sooner than later if at all possible. Is there one that you can recommend to me? What about Cubase or Ableton?

Pro Tools 9 is hardware independent. Versions prior that are not. Personally I have Pro Tools 8 and Cubase 5, I use the Cubase for my main stuff.

Pro Tools 9 is hardware independent. Versions prior that are not. Personally I have Pro Tools 8 and Cubase 5, I use the Cubase for my main stuff.

Thanks for the info.

For someone who knows next to nothing about how to use a DAW, which of these two would recommend?

I don't see why Reaper is any more complex than any other software to the complete beginner. The fundamentals of adding tracks/arming for record/recording and mixing are no more complicated than anything else I've ever seen.

PhilR said:
I don't see why Reaper is any more complex than any other software to the complete beginner. The fundamentals of adding tracks/arming for record/recording and mixing are no more complicated than anything else I've ever seen.

Agreed. Plus, when you actually read the manual (I know, it means cutting your penis cause real men never read the manual) it all makes perfect sense

If anything I'd Reaper would be easier for a total n00b as they're less likely to be bogged down with "console paradigm" expectations that most other DAW software sticks to. Cubase, ProTools etc were initially designed to be instantly familiar to people that had experience with hardware mixers and to the most part they stick with that.

I just found these two, and they both look way easier overall for someone like me.

Anyone here familiar with one or both of them?

Presonus - Studio One
http://www.presonus.com/products/SoftwareDetail.aspx?SoftwareId=11

Or

Propellerhead - Record
http://www.propellerheads.se/products/record/
+
Reason
http://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason/
+
Reason Drum Kits 2.0
http://www.propellerheads.se/products/refills/rdk/

well, was it Ermz who almost switched to the studio one but found it just a bit lacking as is, but was interested to check out what the future hold sfor it? So I would say that it's pretty good choice as it was made by the same guy who originally designed Nuendo/Cubase and Kristal (kristal is free btw, but really limited). The Record is designed more forward people who just want to press record and be done with it. I don't have any personal experience with it, but I understood it's not designed for the higher than intermediate users. But reason is good stuff if you do a lot of stuff with midi, but it can be rewired from other software also.

The propellerhead way is pure fail IMO, it would only work well for pure electrostuff.

Go with Presonus/Cubase/Reaper/Pro Tools/Logic. I would say demo them and choose the one you feel the most confortable with, it will help you in the beginning. Later, you'll have time and experience to understand the subtilities between them.

I would highly recommend Reaper + Kenny Gioia's Groove3 tutorial for any beginner. You will be up and running in no time with no need to read the manual. It is a much smaller investment than any other DAW and stupidly powerful and flexible.

I would highly recommend Reaper + Kenny Gioia's Groove3 tutorial for any beginner. You will be up and running in no time with no need to read the manual. It is a much smaller investment than any other DAW and stupidly powerful and flexible.

This. For sure.

The more I'm learning about Presonus Studio One, the more I'm liking it. I'm going to go ahead and install the demo and see how things go.