Whitney Houston

While Whitney's passing is sad, everyone who was a fan of hers and saw through the media all her dirty laundry, saw this coming. She had too many leeches and enablers around her to really make a break and clean herself up. In reality, she needed to get away from the cesspool that was the pop scene and align herself with the T.D. Jakes and Bishop Winans and go full tilt Gospel. Now, Whitney's voice is silenced, but not the memories of her early greatness. May she find the peace in death that she was never allowed to have in life. RIP.

In my experience, metalheads in genetral will appreciate any great singer and musician, despite the genre. Whitney Houston was one of the greatest pop singers, no doubt. Anette and Tarja both have said that Whitney was one of their biggest idols and influences when they were starting their careers as a singer and they both have performed Whitney's songs during their early days as vocalists.

It's a shame how the celebrity business can wear out human lives. Wealth and bling-bling really isn't everything but only that is shown to the public who will know nothing else. There is always a human being underneath, the one who carries the burden of his/her public image alone. Whitney is another victim in the long chain of celebrities who passed too early because the burden had obviously become overwhelming for her a decade or two ago already. RIP

^That's true, Enigma. And I forgot that Tarja mentioned in her earlier interviews that she wanted to emulate Whitney Houston.

Another talent gone to waste by way of the beast that fame creates.

Well, growing up in the '80s---and I'm sure anyone else in my age group will say the same---her music was part of our "life soundtrack" at one point or another in our lives; I'm sure anyone who was a kid during that time either owned one of her records or has some memory tied in to a song or two of hers. And remember the guy who filed a lawsuit against his neighbor in the '90s due to her incessant over-playing of "I Will Always Love You"; suing her for mental anguish for having to hear that song over and over again? :lol:

As if this couldn't be more tragic...her ex-husband Bobby Brown had a sort of "breakdown" onstage during a performance with his band New Edition the other night when he learned of her passing. And her daughter has been hospitalized twice already, apparently for suicide attempts. Very sad.
icon_cry.gif

Btw, I meant no offense to suggest that metal fans couldn't appreciate other music by any means! Hell, I know I have a few CDs in my collection that some of the purists would be scratching their heads over.
scratchheadblue.gif