Will Ulver ever return to metal?

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
Personally I don't think that they will, and since they released two of the finest black metal albums ever, they don't really need to. Discuss (if you want to anyhow).

I believe that Garm has stated in several interviews that he is bored of metal, so my guess would be that they won't.

i only hope that "utopian enterprises" will the a legitime follow-up to "perdition city" since the last ep's did not show any of ulver's quality any more...

@firedwarf
from "metamorphosis ep":

"note: ulver is obviously not a black metal band and does not wish to be stigmatized as such. we acknowledge the relation of parts 1 & 3 of the trilogie (bergtatt nad nattens madrigal) to this culture, but stress that these endeavours were written as stepping stones rather than conclusions. we are proud of our former instincts, but wish to liken our asssociation with said genre to that of the snake with eve. an incentive to further frolic only.

if this discourages you in any way, please have the courtesy to refrain from voicing superficial remarks regarding to our music and/or personae. we are as unknown to you as we always were."

I don't really care if they do or not, though I could do with some guitars in their music now and then (metal or not). One thing I would hope they wouldn't do is avoid metal for the sake of avoiding metal (something that I get the impression The Gathering does). I seem to recall Garm saying something along the lines of metal being about rebellion, which was fine when he was younger, but not really interesting now (he may've just been referring to Black Metal, can't remember). At the primal core of metal I'd say yes it's about rebellion, but I see it as much more diverse and mature than that (again, The Gathering seem to see metal as being limiting), I would hate it if they were avoiding the genre because of any ideas of this type (ie if a song would benefit from having metal in it, then that shouldn't be avoided).

veil the sky said:
.......but the thing about ulver is their uniquity.

if they start behaving more conventionally again then they will lose that appeal.

I love it when you make an intelligent, well thought out post (which you do at times :p ;) ) and underneath it you've got:

THE NEW HATE PIT

Anti-war protesters ......some mature and even handed debate .......in the HATE PIT????? ....no

emblazoned across the page :cool:

MightyA said:
I believe that Garm has stated in several interviews that he is bored of metal, so my guess would be that they won't.

If irony were strawberrys, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

Wussup d00d, it's about time you got in here! :)

I realize that Garm has stated his boredom with metal, and the liner notes in Metamorphosis make Ulver's direction clear, BUT, can any of us really predict where Ulver will be going next, regardless of what may have been said in the past? Also, Garm was part of Arcturus for awhile, and while it isn't black metal, it is a form of metal.

Just pondering away, as usual.

Nothing much NAD!

I agree, though, that is interesting to see what Ulver will be doing within the next year or so. I don't really like the newer stuff, but it's somewhat fun to just observe them change.

you are a fucking fag veil,not a weirdo
:lol:

I would like to listen to some acoustic guitars on the Ulver albums,I think they would do the trick just fine