Writing Solos

Radd

Self Portrait
Jul 19, 2005
NJ
www.soundclick.com
What's your method James and everyone?
Do you have more than one method?

In my case I'll track an improvised solo, listen to the awful mess and hear a "real" solo within it then learn how to play that and track it. I'll keep doing this, often in sections of 2 or 3 or whatever, building up the process until I'm content with it. It takes a little while to do this. Half the time I'll go into a solo with an idea of a particular lick or something that I want to use. The other half I just wing it.
My education on theory is very limited down to barely the basics. I've tried to study it a few times but I just get ADD when it comes to that.

I would imagine that this is a quite common method but wonder how others do it.

yeah, i improvise for a bit over the changes and develop my ideas for an intro, a melody, any dramatic/flashy runs and/or build-ups, any call and response type bits, and an ending.. i play through it a few times, recording each take. then i keep anything that's good as is and then start punching in by section on whatever needs to be better until it's just right. finally i go through and listen for anything that could benefit from a harmony and add those in. i only think about theory if i get stuck.

Ok, interesting. I'm not sure what you mean by "call and response" though.

I've always felt like I'm missing out or holding myself back by not knowing much theory but yet I know that it's not necessary and if I did know theory like the back of my hand then my solos might sound to clinical with less chances of spontaneous magic occurring but that way of thinking is probably just nonsense.

I don't know much about theory either, the only thing I really think about when soloing is what interval will create what feel. I try not to improvise aimlessly, though, I like to give every solo I play a name, before I play it (or if I'm not feeling creative enough, use another band's song name =S), then I create a story to go along with it in my head as I play and try to translate what I'm thinking onto guitar. I've felt that makes my playing feel more inspired so it actually goes somewhere.

I like to give every solo I play a name, before I play it (or if I'm not feeling creative enough, use another band's song name =S), then I create a story to go along with it in my head as I play and try to translate what I'm thinking onto guitar.

Bizarre. I have a hard enough time thinking up stories when I'm not playing guitar let alone while I'm playing. Besides the general feel I'd like a solo to be and where to take it at each particular moment, I'm busy thinking about not playing bad notes. More power to ya. That's pretty amazing.

if I did know theory like the back of my hand then my solos might sound to clinical with less chances of spontaneous magic occurring but that way of thinking is probably just nonsense.
you got that last bit right. total nonsense. ;)

i do know theory "like the back of my hand".. and i can assure you that the only way that knowing theory will make your playing sound "clinical" is if you are a hack to begin with. if you ever feel inspiration and are a creative person, knowing theory will only enhance you pallete of colors to "paint" from and in no way whatsover would taking on that knowledge suddently make you a "not creative" person. c'mon.. that's a no-brainer.

i do know theory "like the back of my hand".. and i can assure you that the only way that knowing theory will make your playing sound "clinical" is if you are a hack to begin with. if you ever feel inspiration and are a creative person, knowing theory will only enhance you pallete of colors to "paint" from and in no way whatsover would taking on that knowledge suddently make you a "not creative" person. c'mon.. that's a no-brainer.

+1

I'm firmy situated in the 'learn all the theory you can' camp... The more you know, it's always going to give you more options to use in your creativity...

Yeah, deep down I guess, I know you're right. It's just something I think about
when I think of theory which is probably just an excuse for me to not seriously study it and take the time since the few times that I've tried, it just made me sleepy, confused then pissed. Plus I never had a major interest in it which didn't help.
I'll have to see if there are any websites for dummies. Maybe give it another shot.

Anyway, anyone else want to share their way of writing solos?

+1

I'm firmy situated in the 'learn all the theory you can' camp... The more you know, it's always going to give you more options to use in your creativity...

Same

I usually start off with assessing the feel of the song, I send some friends a rythem track and ask them who it feels to them sometimes even. From there I write my I work my scales out. Lastly I do the harmonys, if there are any. :)