Best Metal Releases of 2013

It's just that I didn't pay much attention to metal this year, being too busy catching up with other favourite genres and I can't contribute much, if it were only metal.

So, for me, album of the year is Queens of the Stone Age's "...Like Clockwork". Pure depression ;)
Also liked a lot Riverside "Shrine of New Generation Slaves". Pure beauty :)
Will have to think about other stuff.

Wardruna -- Yggdrasil is up there for me.

I rate Circle more highly than most of the Trve Kvlt name dropping that is ending up on the usual metal blogs "Best of 2013" lists.

I rate Circle more highly than most of the Trve Kvlt name dropping that is ending up on the usual metal blogs "Best of 2013" lists.

Sure enough it's on my list, too, but the extended version with all bonus tracks. Haven't listened to the basic edition since the day it came out.

For the latter half of the year, my favorite would be Carcass - Surgical Steel; other noteworthy releases include Omnium Gatherum, Grendel's acoustic EP, Ereb Altor, Hanging Garden, Jex Thoth and what did I forget now, Riverside Trin already mentioned, Hypocrisy wasn't bad at all either. Disappointment of the year is easier for me at any rate - Turisas 2013.

I'm on the similar note with trin here - 2013 wasn't the most metal year for me, at least when it comes to new releases. For a good part of the year I had no time to actually listen to music properly, and when I did, I either listened to albums I've missed in the recent years, or some old schoöl trve kvlt stuff of the '80s and such.
Anyway, for 2013, my favorite release isn't metal, but post-punk...

Beastmilk - Climax

Album is available on bandcamp for free listening, do try it out. Great stuff, even though I liked their earlier EP a tad bit more.

Other releases I've liked are already mentioned - Carcass, Caladan Brood, Amo. I'll also add Darkthrone - their latest album is a bit weaker for me, compared to the previous few, but it's still awesome. Ulver of course.
I'm surprised no one added Leprous...or was it previous year's effort?
As for my local scene, I'll put two bands - The Stone, with their compilation Crna Hronika - collection of rare tracks by this Serbian bm band. The first Serbian bm band, if I'm not wrong.
The other one is Nadimač - these guys mix speed/thrash and everything possible for a really killer fast record. I haven't enjoyed their previous releases much, but this one got me.
As for the de facto favorite metal release, it is an EP/demo by a obscure, but amazing band - The Committee! Their first release, Holodomor, is absolutely amazing. They have a full length incoming for 2014, and I'm pretty sure it will just as dark, creepy and amazing as their demo. Not the easiest band to get into, though.
Also, I'll add that I believe that Toxic Holocaust's latest release could've been a winner for me for this year - but I'm ashamed to say that I haven't listened to it fully yet.
In fact, below is the list of all quality artist whose latest releases I've missed...there's time, I hope:
Lustmord
Altar of Plagues
Chelsea Wolfe
SubRosa
VHÖL
Inquisition
Manilla Road

Makes you wonder what the hell have I been listening throughout the year...

And to be an a-hole for a finisher, I already "hate" Alcest's upcoming release. Not really hate, but I've heard that one song, and read a few reviews. It seems that Alcest have lost it, really.
I'll need to listen to the album myself, to make a proper judgement, but it seems to me it will be a downer. Missing metal elements aside (I could live with that), but it seems Neige has totally changed the original concept of Alcest. Disappointing, really.

Ok, I've now created the Spotify playlist: link. The featured tracks are listed below - not in any order of importance, though teh growlz are mostly in the second half.

Legend: Band - Song (Album)

The Ocean - Mesopelagic: Into the Uncanny (Pelagial *)
Leprous - Coal (Coal)
Amorphis - Mission (Circle)
Haken - Pareidolia (The Mountain)
Constantine - Alice (Resign Due **)
MyGrain - The Ghost in Me (Planetary Breathing)
Dark Tranquillity - Uniformity (Construct)
Omnium Gatherum - New Dynamic (Beyond)
Alter Bridge - Calm the Fire (Fortress)
Fireproven - 18 Hells (Omnipresence [EP])

* Album of the year
** Finnish album of the year

Damn, how could I forget The Ocean. Leprous I still need to buy, kinda avoided it when it came out to save myself from excess frustration over missing their recent gig.

My list:
Falkenbach - Asa
Fjoergyn - Monument Ende
Hamferð - Evst
The Vision Bleak - Witching Hour
Vattnet Viskar - Sky Swallower
Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn
Ereb Altor - Fire Meets Ice
Amorphis - Circle
Thyrfing - De Ödeslösa
Duncan Evans - Lodestone

New Turisas is just... crap.

Like I said, not much metal here ;)
I tried to include just one song of each album, but I had some pretty hard time with QOTSA, for example and was somewhat torn between Mission and Nightbird's Song.

This year #1 is Wolfheart - Winterborn.

Of course, there is Circle on my list.
There is also Apocalyptica - Wagner Reloaded.

Lets say Wardruna - Yggdrasil yet, so there is something but only finnish music. :)

Bubbling under is Kuolemanlaakso - Uusi Uljas Maailma. Released in 2012, but just found it, thanks to Eurynome. Of course I had have heard of them, but I was just ignored the whole thing.

Also I think this year's worst disappointment was Turisas. Bought the CD, as it felt something like duty, but give it away to my friend. Yeah, Crab.

Last year's topic I wrote how I'm waiting for Tuomas Saukkonen's collection (My Darkness?). Well, it is still on the way to release, so I wait a bit more.

While waiting for official news from Barren Earth regarding their new vocalist, I'm checking out the recently released Hamferð debut, which Filip already listed above. Haven't reached the last song yet, but what I've heard so far justifies inclusion in my best-of-2012 list, too.
Thumbs_up.gif

I'll also have to make some changes to my list - I've (finally) went through Toxic Holocaust's latest album - Chemistry of Consciousness.
A real killer album. Punk/thrash at its best.

Already mentioned Riverside and Leprous are what comes to my mind first. I must confess I didn't explore much music this year. And Circle goes without saying :) Orphaned Land's All Is One wasn't a disappointment, but it didn't really get me on my knees.

In fact, below is the list of all quality artist whose latest releases I've missed...there's time, I hope:
Lustmord
Altar of Plagues
Chelsea Wolfe
SubRosa
VHÖL
Inquisition
Manilla Road

Makes you wonder what the hell have I been listening throughout the year...

Listenting to SubRosa's More Constant than the Gods on Bandcamp right now. Pretty good stuff.

I do love end of year lists because they allow me to find bands I would have missed otherwise. I've added Vattnet Viskar and Oranssi Pazuzu to my list of bands to check out thanks to Pitchfork's end-of-year list.