Day Jobs?

DirectorOfHatcheries

New Metal Member
Mar 3, 2005
Connecticut, USA
Hey there,

I was curious if any of the members of the band had "day jobs" (ie. work in something other than music). If so, what field? I'm also curious about forum members who happen to be musicians. I myself am in the telcommunications field for a cellular phone company but play in several bands.

Thanks for taking the time to read! :headbang: :headbang:

I have a couple of dayjobs. I do tech support as my 40-hour-per-week job, and I give guitar lessons and do guitar repair for about another 10-20 hours per week. I also play in a band. No wonder I'm so damned tired.

Not only do I play in a band, I also work full-time, attend school and play classical contrabass guitar with my school's guitar ensemble. The drummer for my band also stated to me that some of his students want to learn bass and want lessons, so I think that I might start with that for some extra cash.

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure considering the amount of projects the Borkmembers had going. ::shrugs::

Lazare, I would love to see footage of you on the news. It would be a real trip.

TheRealLazare said:
I've been working in television for many years now, both in front of and behind the camera :cool:
Legendary, that's what I'm going to school for now. (Mostly behind camera)

DirectorOfHatcheries said:
That's what I thought but I wasn't sure considering the amount of projects the Borkmembers had going. ::shrugs::

Lazare, I would love to see footage of you on the news. It would be a real trip.

So does that mean there is or isn't footage available?

i am curious to know how band members with day jobs get extended periods of time off to focus on the band; tours, recording, and stuff? i guess it means a very flexible employer, cause it would not be good to have to quit and look for a new job after every tour. also if there is a conflict between job and band, which takes priority?

I'm studying at the university to become a teacher...

At the moment I'm a course regarding the culture of the western pedagogy and the didactics behind it..how our focus has shifted from product to process.

mr V

I've seen Lars Are on TV... On a show called OsloTV and during the norwegian quart festival he informed about artists. (He actually recommended Black Eyed Peas :p ). And, if I'm not too wrong he is a journalist in the music section in the norwegian newspaper "Fædrelandsvennen". Correct me if I'm wrong!

yes i am also curious about taking time off to do tours and other band related matters...i assume you would have to have a flexible employer, either that or you just have to be slick with doing multiple things. I will be going to school for music production soon and i am wondering how I can make music, play live, work, and study all at once, it seems very stressful and I am a bit scared.

Innipunn said:
I've seen Lars Are on TV... On a show called OsloTV and during the norwegian quart festival he informed about artists. (He actually recommended Black Eyed Peas :p ). And, if I'm not too wrong he is a journalist in the music section in the norwegian newspaper "Fædrelandsvennen". Correct me if I'm wrong!

Reccomended Black Eyed Peas, eh? Of course, I'm sure there's always a good reason for one to make statements like that.

TheRealLazare said:
I was being serious, although I understand it can be hard to believe, hehe. I've been working in television for many years now, both in front of and behind the camera :cool:

I didn't think they let long haired guys like us in front of the camera - but thats cool to hear!

MrV: Do you go to university on scholarships, grants or do you still work as an audio engineer as a day job?

Vintersorg said:
I'm studying at the university to become a teacher...

At the moment I'm a course regarding the culture of the western pedagogy and the didactics behind it..how our focus has shifted from product to process.

mr V

A teacher hey? I'm hoping to go along the lines of teaching too. Obviously I don't have big dreams in it and I'm only going to study to be an art teacher. Mostly going to concentrate on my writing, Comic book and band really.

Quick question, what made you want to study to become a teacher? I have my own personal reasons just would be interesting to see if they were somewhat similar.