DDrum Triggers, good or bad?

JeffEstrada

Ascend Recordings
Dec 16, 2010
Hey everyone.

I was looking into triggers (Red shots) lately as I don't have the money to shell out for enough mics to mic a drumset. Are ddrum triggers any good?

I put "ddrum" on the custom sneap search and the first threads that popped out were called:
"fuggin ddrum triggers"
"Fixing piece of shit DDrum triggers"
"ddrum pro triggers false triggering"

....what do you guys think?

They're great until they break! I've found that they give much more isolation than the Drumdial triggers, and give a cleaner transient click than either the Drumdials or the Rolands. But the piezo is basically just 2 very thin bits of metal and at some point it will snap and die. So now mine just act as mounts for my Drumdial triggers.

thank's a lot. I'll end up ordering one, then trying it out for a few days. If it's good I'll definitely be buying the rest for a kit.

I have the DDRUM pro trigger and while they are absolutely great, the sensor and wiring are poor, ive had to replace my sensor twice ( due to snapping) and the wires have been resoldered 3 times.

I would go with the roland triggers all the way, built really solid, the sensor is amazing ( huge piece of foam that picks up vibrations).

Roland are pretty much kings in the EDRUM world, so it makes sense that they also developed one of the nicest triggers.

roland are the best imo, i had the ddrum and drum dials, the dials get desensitized after a while because you have to put a piece of double sided tape on em, i would also put a small piece of tape on top because they would detatch otherwise, ddrum broke on me too much, it was annoying fixing and replaceing rolands are solid! there pricey but when you have to keep replacing the other ones the price isnt too much to consider, ive also gone as far as to make a custom kit with built in triggers, that was actually my best experience ever with triggers, but not all drummers want you to modify their kit or use your house kit. nowadays i record em all and use logic sample replacement then go by hand to add/remove hits

http://www.toontrack.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=35473 theres where i got my design idea for internal triggers, these are cheap and super easy to do, it catches every hit! the kick one i would recommend even if your using ddrum or dial with it, the kick is soooo easy, i have gotten the ok from drummers to attatch it to their kick(all you have to do is take two screws off of there kick then put the trigger plate under the screws and reattach, one band loved it and paid me for it to use live

heres the link to the DIY kick drum design, this one i recommend, its so easy!
http://www.toontrack.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=36446

The difference being that most gear can easily last for years without problems, whereas the ddrum triggers just don't seem to be sturdy enough for their intended function. Hell ddrum have even brought out their dual element version (drt?) because they know that the elements are prone to failure.

they're pretty cheap.
so if you break one or two a year, I'm pretty sure you get your money's worth and their cheap enough to replace that it's worth it.
I don't personally know anyone who's had one break on them.

I haven't broken even one yet and they are attached to my drums 24/7.

Oh, abd they are the pro models so i can't say anything about redshots

I bought a set of Ddrum triggers for my latest recording cuz the mixing engineer demanded trigger tracks for all the drums. At first I wanted to just get roland's cuz I already had the roland kick trigger but he convinced me to go with the Ddrums as he said they worked best in his experience.

Well when I ordered them and brought them to the studio to track I noticed the foam part wasn't attached to one of the triggers. We had to glue it back on before recording. Then we realized one of the triggers wasn't working. Mind you this is straight out of the box, first time use.
Luckily my drummer has a small set so we just used a different one from the pack.
So yea they work... if you're lucky. :bah:

Hey everyone.

I was looking into triggers (Red shots) lately as I don't have the money to shell out for enough mics to mic a drumset. Are ddrum triggers any good?

I put "ddrum" on the custom sneap search and the first threads that popped out were called:
"fuggin ddrum triggers"
"Fixing piece of shit DDrum triggers"
"ddrum pro triggers false triggering"

....what do you guys think?

the thing is YOU might take care of them, but other people won't. i have 5 redshot triggers, all broken bc drummers do the "oops i hit it" bullshit.

that being said, while they worked, they were awesome! i started recording bands using redshots. got a kick and 4 snare/tom triggers for $20 on used.guitarcenter.com

I have the DDrum DDTKIT Pro acoustic trigger set and never had a problem with it.