Distortion Pedals

Magicawe

Carnivorous Jesus
Apr 7, 2002
Visit site
I just play through the clean channel on my amp and its getting a little boring I want to buy a distortion pedal that can do lots of things not just one thing. Suggest things please!

I'd have to agree. The MT-2 Metal Zone pedal is about the best for the money, can predictably turn any clean channel into a pretty brutal crunch.

If you can afford it, give one of the valve distortion pedals a go. I used a mesaboogie v-twin for ages as my main distortion and that sounded quite nice. Also has 3 differnt channels (2 switchable at once) and is pretty indestructable. Also looks very cool, pick one up second hand if you haven't got the money for it new. You won't get tons and tons of distortion out of it, but it should give you enough.

As far as other pedals go, boss make good stuff generally so you could check that out. Even better would be to get something like a GT-5/6 or something like that. Good Solid and a decent multiFX. These things can take a hell of a beating and will give you some modelling stuff to play around with as well as decent effects.

Apart from that, have a look at a POD or something like that, should give you plenty of sounds to play with.

The SansAmp GT2 is by far the best I've ever used. GodslasheR's right it ain't noisy at all, good punch for solid leads. Recommended setting: Center - HiGain - California; Level = 40; Bass = 100; Treble = 70; Drive = 70 :headbang:

As for the Metal Zone...it SUCKS! I used to own one, pretty tolerable on chug-a-chug playing but the lead sounds are just too fuzzy and thin.

i am not trying to say metal zone is a bad or lousy pedal, but to use the metal zone pedal alone, there aint enuff crunch going on... maybe a 7 band eq to add on to the metal zone would help a lot better.. but the sansamp gt2 alone will do just the trick... the eq setting on the sansamp is very sensitive, which is excellent cos u can tune in to any sound which u desire.. and i know this pedal is great for recording... i have used it for recording a lot of times and it has never failed me...

Hey, i got a multieffects like a few months ago. I like mutlieffects. it gives u a change to experiment with different sounds, and creat a ur own. I have a GNX2 Digitech it costs 500 bucks. it looks aswome and has a great sound. its sturdy. has like 62 effect facrotry and 62 presets. u can do anything u want. go to www.digitech.com and just read about it. U can simulate ur amp to sound like a huge ass stack!!! it worth it.

what i use is an Ibanez TM-5 Thrashmetal Soundtank.
i think it's pretty good because it has a lot of gain for heavy sounds, but you can also get good rock sounds with less gain (still pretty heavy).
i use the distortion of my Marshal-Amp, too and it's really cool and variable, too. but it has not as much gain as the TM-5.

hope it helps (don't have much experience with different distortion pedals)

Metal Zone is great. Multi-effects pedals are also worth the money. You can get a pretty good one for not much money. As far as live sound, though . . . I would recommend sticking to individual pedals for your effects. Unless you can afford rackmount.

A tube amp uses vacuum tubes to help get their sound, unlike many newer amp that uses transistors. A few good tube amps:

Bogner Uberschall
Soldano SLO 100
Mesa Dual Rectifier

etc...

Preamps?

Custom Audio Electronics 3+ SE
Bogner Fish (out of production)
Soldano SP77 (inexpensive)
Ignater IE4 or the new M4 or the Randall RM4 (has different modules you can buy)

None of these amps need any sort of distortion or overdrive... they'll all get it on their own.