hair length among male metal-heads

How long is your hair?

• Total voters
Just out of curiosity, how exactly did long hair come to be associated with metal?

Probably a left-over hippie rock-and-roll thing. A lot of those old bands had long hair. Sabbath and Zeppelin did. All kinds of others. I guess metal just took it a step further by almost requiring it in the 80's.

Though I miss those days of long hair for everyone, I guess my balding ass appreciates these days of everything goes.

ack-thumb1.jpg

\m/

ack

When I was younger I grew my hair long,about halfway down my back like most my metalhead friends.When I turned 16 and wanted a job I cut it.I grew it out a few times in my 20's.I always keep it short nowadays.I could grow it out now if I wanted.My boss wouldn't care but I just prefer it short.Easy to wash never needs combing.I doubt I'll ever grow it out again.

My hair grows to the sides,(in volume, so to speak) so I need to trim down the bush regularly in order not to look like a complete oddball.:p

That's how mine was too. I actually had a nickname of Bushman in high school.

I found that growing it as long as possible to weigh it down and NOT brushing it while dry helped a lot. I wish I had realized the not brushing thing sooner. Here was me in about 1987, probably not too long before a trim.

chris-hair2.jpg

ack

That's how mine was too. I actually had a nickname of Bushman in high school.

I found that growing it as long as possible to weigh it down and NOT brushing it while dry helped a lot. I wish I had realized the not brushing thing sooner. Here was me in about 1987, probably not too long before a trim.

chris-hair2.jpg

ack

eeeeekkkk o_O

hahahaha. so it does weigh it self down when it gets longer?
because mine is curly as fuck right now

Yeah, it does. Mine was pretty curly too, but not fro-curly, so I guess it depends. You can see in that pic it looks just a bit longer than shoulder length, but it was probably about 3-4 inches longer than it looks. Later I had it even longer (see pic earlier in this thread) and also changed my brushing habits (and probably had a different hair cutter too) and it hung way more.

ack