Harley Benton 4x12 cab

Jackal_Strain

Sigurd Løberg
Feb 16, 2006
Trondheim, Norway
I'm wondering if any of you guys has any experience with this cab? From what I've read or heard, the build quality is real crappy, but I'm looking to take the speakers from it and put them in my 1960 Marshall cab.
It comes equipped with Celestion vintage 30's, but the cab itself costs so little that I'm getting a little suspicious.
Do you guys know if it comes equipped with "real" V30's or some cheap copies?

The build quality isn't that crappy. The tolex is crappy but It's exactly the same cab as Framus cab. Real V30 inside. Sounds fair. I'm not sure the marshall cab will be an improvement cause it's fiberboard (not sure if this is the right word) while the HB is plywood.

Well, heard the wheels on the Harley bentons are really fragile. Wheels are pretty cheap though. I just find it hard to believe that a cab that cheap can match the build quality of a cab allmist 4 times as expensive.

A friend of mine has the Framus one and he's convinced me to buy two of them as well... Are you sure that the H&B is the same cab? In that case I'll get two of those instead... Wheels are for those too weak to lift the cab ;)

You know... Chinese factories and mass production... And yes, the wheels aren't great.

have only heard the 212 so far. a guy was searching for a new amp in a store while I was checking out a few amps. when he had decided to get an Orange head, he checked some cabs and surprising enough, when he compared the HB 212 with the Marshall 212 (dunno which version exactly) EVERYONE (there were like 5 people in the room) agreed that the HB acutally sounded a bit better than the Marshall..........

The other Guitarist in my Band owns one of these HB 4x12 cabs. Haven't heard it myself, but he basically said the build quality obviously is not very good, but it sounds much better than his marshall, though not as good as his mesa 4x12. And yes, real V30s. So considering the price, seems like a good buy.

~BURNY~ said:
I'm not sure the marshall cab will be an improvement cause it's fiberboard (not sure if this is the right word) while the HB is plywood.

The pro model Marshall cabs (not the Valvestate or MG series cabs) are 13 ply birch. The back panel with the input jack is particle board, the rest of the cab is birch ply. Their construction has been exactly the same since the '70s. The Mode Four oversized cabs are birch ply throughout, as are the TV (Tall Vintage) oversized cabs. I think the cabs for the handwired reissue series are as well.

The Marshall 2x12s and the small sized 4x12 cabs from the MG, Valvestate, and AVT series are actually particle board, that's correct.

Exocaster said:
The pro model Marshall cabs (not the Valvestate or MG series cabs) are 13 ply birch. The back panel with the input jack is particle board, the rest of the cab is birch ply. Their construction has been exactly the same since the '70s. The Mode Four oversized cabs are birch ply throughout, as are the TV (Tall Vintage) oversized cabs. I think the cabs for the handwired reissue series are as well.

The Marshall 2x12s and the small sized 4x12 cabs from the MG, Valvestate, and AVT series are actually particle board, that's correct.
Thanks for clearing that up.

~BURNY~ said:
Thanks for clearing that up.

No problem. There's a lot of confusion about what the various Marshall cab models are made out of. They're pretty much all different. I have no idea about the combos, though.

IIRC, Engl makes a cab from MDF that's actually supposed to be pretty good.

I've seen a couple Marshall 1960 cabs with the tolex removed and the wood oiled before. They actually look pretty cool.

Yeah, I mentioned these in another thread - at Thomann a HB Vintage 4x12 (the one with V30's) is cheaper than just buying 4 V30's on their own. It's insane value, even if the build quality is crap.

Think about it - you can buy the cab, use it til it breaks and then take out the cones when you're done with it. Then you can either put them in another cab, or sell them for nearly as much as the HB cab cost in the first place.

Steve

Fredrik-Ablaze said:
I'm really considering getting two of those HB cabs instead of my ENGL 4*12, loading up one of them with the V60's from the ENGL before selling the ENGL cab
ENGL V60 + HB = 940 EUR
ENGL V30 = 890 EUR

so you get a V60 loaded HB for 50 EURs ;)
*lol*

you can even use the wood of the HB for your fireplace and still have 4 V60s for virtually 50 bucks lying around

Or I simply buy two HB cabs, swap the speakers in one of them with my ENGL and sell it as an ENGL V30 for the same price i bought the HB cabs for? =)

xmarcelx said:
ENGL V60 + HB = 940 EUR
ENGL V30 = 890 EUR

so you get a V60 loaded HB for 50 EURs ;)
*lol*

you can even use the wood of the HB for your fireplace and still have 4 V60s for virtually 50 bucks lying around

Fredrik-Ablaze said:
I'm really considering getting two of those HB cabs instead of my ENGL 4*12, loading up one of them with the V60's from the ENGL before selling the ENGL cab

Haha I was actually thinking of doing the same thing myself! Are we brothers or something? Maybe it's the swedish blood. I know we use the same amp aswell...:danceboy:

Goddamn Guitar said:
Haha I was actually thinking of doing the same thing myself! Are we brothers or something? Maybe it's the swedish blood. I know we use the same amp aswell...:danceboy:

Possibly Ola, but if it is the same one I need to use it next saturday since im gigging then ;)

Are you joining the Machinery guys to se nevermore in gothenburg in a few weeks?

Fredrik-Ablaze said:
Possibly Ola, but if it is the same one I need to use it next saturday since im gigging then ;)

Are you joining the Machinery guys to se nevermore in gothenburg in a few weeks?

ah shit I have to skip reheasal then... I haven't talked to the chineryboys but I will probably go there with some other friends...