how loud do you usually record amps??

We're recording our next album and I have the Post Gain on the 6505+ lead channel at just above 4 (IIRC). Gets rid of the really nasty high grainy stuff but doesn't yet get too ... "congested". We're using it with a Krank cab and a 57 to a TG2.. yum yum! Our guitarist complains that the sound is great, but difficult to play with! :devil:

To me, the level is dependent on what the whole signal chain is and - more importantly - what sound you're after (well, duh).

On my Marshalll DSL 50 I tend to record with the master at about 5/6, any louder and the power amps starts distorting and making the sound all squashy.

Pant leg wavin. Usually just enough for moving air. Some speakers that do not like to breakup an are actually better representation of your sound when they don't.

Recording, Marshalls begin to inhale at about 4 an they start to pump air nicely at about 6-8 on master. I'm referring to an older JMP style, non master or modded master or early with master JCM style.
Peavey gain head, XXX, 5150 etc.. master/post on 4-6, pre about the same. I have a Trace mod so it sounds good at lower volumes too, to me at least.

Anyone with an Engl Powerball? I use to have the master at 12 o'clock and the channel volume at the same. It's pretty loud and thats my usual setting for rehersal. Haven't tried it any louder.