LONG Client Rant....and pwnage

C_F_H_13

Protools Guru
Mar 21, 2006
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
So I've been mixing a record for a local band for...oh about 2 years now. Basically these guys would bring me 2-3 tracks every 3-6 months to mix for them (electronic based music...not many real instruments). Despite the fact that it's pretty stupid to mix over that kind of time period and expect any kind of consistency, I "finished" with them in January. We had completed 12 tracks but I also had 2 Protools sessions from them that were never even opened or discussed.

Then out of no where they called me yesterday to ask me to recall 4 of the 12 mixes I had done, mix 4 new tracks, and do recalls on the 2 tracks we've never even opened.........all by the end of the week. Turns out the band had already announced their cd release, and planned a big show without actually having a finished record.

Unfortunate for them, I had just commit to 2 back to back long term projects that would keep me busy until mid july straight. I explained to them that if they had booked in advance I would of been able to do it, but I'm now 100% committed to other projects and have no days off to do it. At this point the band leader gets super pissed that I've "fucked" them and demands all mixes/PT documents/anything else I got of theirs. Being the professional I am I already have consolidated mix sessions/full mix prints and stems/ and detailed notes of everything.

As I handed over all the files band leader says

Band Leader-"We're the song XYZ and YYZ?"

Me- "we never started it. U told me to wait for new vocals you were recording."

Band Leader- "That's fucking bullshit dude, we did both of those songs in may of last year, where the fuck are the files?"

Me- "No we didn't, I have detailed logs of everything we did, including when I gave you rough mixes and what songs we worked on each day you came in."

Band Leader- "Fuck that I have a cd at home with a rough mix on it that YOU gave me. Give me the fucking Files."

Me- "I never did anything on that song. If you have a rough mix of it, it's your own rough mix. As I've said I've got logs of data, and studio invoices (I worked out of a local SSL studio for all of this) that show which songs were done which days."

Band Leader- "Fuck this I'm calling Producer X and telling him you lost files".

So about 20 minutes later I got a call from the producer...

Producer- "You're really fucking us here man where are those files?"

Me- "Already explained to band leader. We never worked on that song, and I have my own paperwork and STUDIO X's invoices to prove that. Your band is unorganized, and has no idea what was done when."

Producer- "He has a rough cd from you. Explain that."

Me- "If he does in fact have this rough cd, I want it. All my cd's are custom labeled and have dates and invoice numbers on them. Those invoice numbers correspond to studio invoices. If in fact it exists, which it doesn't, I can match the number to a studio invoice, see what songs were worked on, and figure out where the files went. But none of this happened, he's making it up cause he fucked up and forgot to mix 2 songs. I do triple back ups and have never lost a single file... ever. Especially not an entire 2 songs."

Producer- "........."

Me- "I'm making PDF's of all my invoices/studio invoices for you right now. You can figure it all out. Sorry it didn't work out but they are really unorganized and I simply don't have the time to baby-step them through all this. "

Producer- "just got an email from the singer. He "lost" the rough cd. What now? How can we fix this? We need those files badly man."

Me- "Did you just hear what I said? The files don't exist, it was never worked on. There's no files to have."

At this point the producer gets into a rant about how he's going to make sure that I never get any work again cause I've really screwed them financially and he'll make sure all his producer friends knew about it. I explained to him that while he's free to do whatever he wants, he'll look like an idiot pretty quickly. I explained that while I'm still a little fish in a big pond, I'm a well liked fish cause I am incredibly organized/thorough and most importantly, very good at what I do. I also explained to him that his own reputation was incredibly tarnished in this city because of a few incidents involving booking studio time and not paying for weeks/months on end.

Producer X hangs up on me.

So at this point my blood is boiling pretty good, despite the fact I know I'm 100% right about the files and there is really nothing they can do. I am pretty fucking pissed that he's more then likely going to go out of his way to try and fuck me though.

Guy I'm working with now is laughing behind me and he just called the studio manager to tell him the story cause everyone thinks this is way funnier then I apparently do.

Lesson learned for the day:

Make a band member sign off on what was completed that day. That way there is never any doubt.

Good for you that you got the invoices! now spread the word about this shit and your version of the story.

He "lost" the cd hahah

Yeah I'm trying to not turn this into a "he said/he said" story, where we're both bitching about each other around town. However the urge to do it was too great, hence the anonymous/nameless post here. I knew someone would appreciate the whole thing.

I do think it's pretty funny though that "losing" something is still enough evidence that it existed for some people.

Put the name of the cunt producer and band here. They´ll be forever on the internet just to show how douchebags these motherfuckers are. You´re being to kind to this fag, he even threatened you.

Put the name of the cunt producer and band here. They´ll be forever on the internet just to show how douchebags these motherfuckers are. You´re being to kind to this fag, he even threatened you.

Honestly that would be more trouble then it's worth. They are the kind of people who have the money to sue for slander, whether it's warranted or not. I feel good enough knowing that my current employer thinks it's funny and has my back, as he's an B/A- level producer. The amount of work I get from him towers anything I did for producer X, so I think I'm in the win category right now.

dude...i know exactly what you are feeling. i had a similar situation with a band i was recording since November last year.

i really dont know why you even gave them the files in the first place. It's your work man! PT files and all of that belongs to your studio. they can have mixes and rough mixes of whatever, but those files are yours. and if they were the ones giving you those files in the first place. why dont they have them??

i tell all my clients that if they want them, they have to buy them from me. because im not just gonna give out my work to anyone so they can do crap with them and then have my name on them.

these guys that im telling you about, they stoled my PT files, made horrible mixes with them and then told everyone that im a terrible engineer. that i didnt record them well.

so...yeah, i agree with you. We will learn from this. and making a band member sign off on what was completed that day like you said is exactly what im gonna do from now on.

and dont worry if they talk crap about you, you've got your clients who can always back u up. they backed me up. and im still up and running, and pretty much everyone knew about this, and now they are really disappointed at that band. and nobody hires them anymore from what i've heard.

I admire how calm and polite you stayed (if you didn't cut the part shouting at those assholes :lol: ), good thing you document everything. I gotta do this, too.

Really, guys like this producer and the bandleader (dunno which one is actually worse) make me want to beat the crap out of something/someone. And I'm a very peaceful guy.
Even from just reading your story I'd freak out if i saw him. :mad:
I hope everything will be good for you in the end.

dude...i know exactly what you are feeling. i had a similar situation with a band i was recording since November last year.

i really dont know why you even gave them the files in the first place. It's your work man! PT files and all of that belongs to your studio. they can have mixes and rough mixes of whatever, but those files are yours. and if they were the ones giving you those files in the first place. why dont they have them??

i tell all my clients that if they want them, they have to buy them from me. because im not just gonna give out my work to anyone so they can do crap with them and then have my name on them.

these guys that im telling you about, they stoled my PT files, made horrible mixes with them and then told everyone that im a terrible engineer. that i didnt record them well.

so...yeah, i agree with you. We will learn from this. and making a band member sign off on what was completed that day like you said is exactly what im gonna do from now on.

and dont worry if they talk crap about you, you've got your clients who can always back u up. they backed me up. and im still up and running, and pretty much everyone knew about this, and now they are really disappointed at that band. and nobody hires them anymore from what i've heard.

I was actually contractually obligated to turn over everything. Whenever I do big engineering/mixing/producing projects there's always a contract involving ownership among other things. I always have the bands own everything right down to the drives so that if a drive fails I'm not liable. I do however keep the drives until the band asks for then as in this case.

The funniest thing about this is the band already had the main drive. I had the backup (which I in turn backup to my own personal system). So they really came to get the files out of spite more then anything. They didn't "NEED" my drive. I guess it was just a jumping off point to ask about the missing songs...

and YES....MAKE BANDS SIGN OFF!!!!

Its pretty stupid that someone you work with/for would take a clients word over yours IMHO.

Yeah well if you knew this guy it'd make sense. He's a what I call a "contractor producer". He doesn't actually do anything, he just puts together a team of guys and takes a cut off the budget before a single thing is done. Then he'll come in for about an hour a day and hang with the band. At the end of the day, his piece of the pie got smaller when the band would have to book 2 more days, so he was probably trying to make me do it for free/find these phantom files.

And as I said, he's got a reputation that I won't even get into....

jipchen,

I didn't stay quite as calm at the end. The whole part when he started threatening me got quite heated, but it was mostly alot of "fuck you" "no fuck you" type shit and isn't any more important to the story.

Actually that is what the band paid you to do was to make those files, so I'd say if they want the files handed over they have a right to that. That's what they paid you for.

Actually that is what the band paid you to do was to make those files, so I'd say if they want the files handed over they have a right to that. That's what they paid you for.

well...you do graphic design right?

a client asks you to make them a logo. you give them the logo and the photoshop (or whatever you use) file too?

i know it might be different in some cases, but pretty much everyone here gets the finished material. that is what they payed for. if they want the pro tools sessions i might charge extra for that. I

well...you do graphic design right?

a client asks you to make them a logo. you give them the logo and the photoshop (or whatever you use) file too?

i know it might be different in some cases, but pretty much everyone here gets the finished material. that is what they payed for. if they want the pro tools sessions i might charge extra for that. I

I give it to them in whatever format they ask for. If they wanted the Photoshop file, I'd give it to them. Layers flattened of course so they couldn't replicate what I just did on their own, and the same would go for audio. They want the tracks, print the stems and give it to them.