Loudness War info

bpcrshooter15

Nov 13, 2008
Seeing how this is a pretty relevant topic here, does anybody know of any good legit sources of information on the "Loudness War"? I'm giving an informative speech over whatever I choose for my college speech class. i've sat here forever thinking of topics and could only come up with this or "why slayer owns your soul", I choose this.

there was a thread (or two) i've seen on here talking about this, i just dont remember the thread name. and you know us... the thread name is not always a good predictor of whats being discussed on page 2 :)

That is hilarious that this topic came up because I am doing the exact same thing haha.

I used some stuff from Wikipedia. Also, the Bobby Owsinski book, The Mixing Engineers Handbook, has some interesting things in it too (but not a lot).

Honestly this is done SO much.. perhaps give some positives of the 'war' too? Eg. able to listen louder because there aren't any crazy transients ready to explode your ears, and nowadays most songs are about the same volume so there's no need to change volume between songs.

People here have shown you can get plenty loud with barely any artifacts through clipping and limiting. Death Magnetic was a result of distortion being placed on the drums in the mixing stage, and it was fucked before it even reached the mastering studio. Lamb of God's 'Wrath' album is the result of a dodgy mix (too much lows on the kick) and the mastering engineer not accomadating this and using LOTS of compression and make it pump like a bitch.

The Loudness War is real, but imo its mostly hype. Many people prefer crushed music anyway, at least initially (the long-term effects, ear fatigue, etc. I don't know about and are very hard to test).

i initially neglected that because every teacher is all "don't use Wikpedia, its satan", but I forgot about the references usually linked.

Actually, there was some research a couple of years ago... They took 10 random articles from wikipedia and then from encyclopedia britannica, and both had approximately the same number of errors. Every teacher is really sceptical about "everyone being able to change the article" but it turns out to be pretty reliable. People writing articles in encyclopedias are people too don't forget it.

Anyhow, on loudness war. Here is a nice clip if you can use them in presentations.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ&eurl=http[/ame]

Also don't forget to mention that metallica's new album has emerged victorios from the war :puke: