Munich 14/11/2001

M

matteo

I'm back from Munich where I saw a briliant Saxon gig last night. Munich is 350 km from my hometown (which is in the North of Italy), so I drove more than 3 hours challenging the snow and bad weather just to see 'em but I gotta tell you it was worth every single moment because Saxon delievered a blistering 2 hours and 10 minutes, 21 song set!! The gig was in a sell-out, hot like hell, rock club in front of 600 odd German metalheads who furisouly banged their heads, sang, cheerd and clapped from the word go to the end, the crowd singalong being a show itself!!! The guys were in top form and Biff really enjoied the gig. He proudly said that it was a long time since Saxon last sold-out a gig in Munich and he also asserted that KG is their best selling album since 10 years (so I guess since Solid ball of rock). The set was excellent, perfectly balanced between old and new songs, my personal highlights were Backs to the wall, Dallas 1pm, Never Surrender, The Eagle has landed, Crusader, the wonderful Broken Heroes, Conquistador, In the court of the crimson king, Dragon's lair but every song was played at its best! The last encores were Wheels of steel and the mighty Princess of the night, probably my favourite Saxon track all-times. The set would have been absolutely perfect if they had also played Motorcycle man, 20,000 feet, Power and the glory but you can't have it all! It was my third Saxon gig and I can honestly tell you it was easily the best, probably the best gig I have ever saw in my life so my only advice is to do everything you can to catch'em because Saxon still rocks!

Matteo

Hi Matteo,

thanks for your great report.Since I was also in the audience for that show, I can only nod in approval to what you state here.

But haven't you recognized that Biff had a really bad cold??His voice sounded much rawer due to that fact.But this is again what I like about a band like Saxon:They don't even think about cancelling a gig or cutting a gig short due to an illness.They deliver a great show every night no matter how tired or ill the individual members may be.They have a show every single night and travel hundreds of kilometers between venues all through the night.Days-off are extremely rare, maybe 1 day-off after 7 or 8 shows and (sorry guys) they are no longer among the youngest folks in rock business.We fans appreciate this highly!!

I've seen four shows this time (Stuttgart, Würzburg,Nürnberg and Munich)around and I can only but thank the band,the crew and Uli for making it again an outstanding experience, much like it was two years ago on the "Metalhead" tour.And be assured that whenever you come to southern Germany again I'll be around!!

Have a safe trip to all the remaining shows on this tour and to the eastern european shows in february/march 2002 and the US festivals in the summer.Maybe we'll meet again anytime soon.

Yours,

Karsten

I agree, the Munich show was outstanding! I came all the way fromn the United States and saw the Stuttgart, Wurzburg, Nurnberg, Vienna, and Munich shows and they all were great (even though Wurzburg was a bit shorter than the others). I must say, Saxon is a great live band who gives it 100% every night. Not very many other bands will consistently play for over 2 hours each night. You can tell they love playing. I liked that they played some different songs each night, such as Thin Red Line, The Power and the Glory, Motorcycle Man, Forever Free. I can't wait to see them in the US soon. Cheers!

Wurzburg was way shorter, you are correct here.About 1h50min if memory serves...Biff didn't like the "disco" setting at the Capitol in Würzburg and maybe he was also disappointed a bit by the audience of hardly 400 people I'd say.They also had this "meet and greet" thing afterwards were everyone was invited to come, take photos and get their stuff signed.

The Munich show was superior to the others only due to the fact, that the venue was way smaller than the gigs in Stuttgart and Nurnberg.They played for 20+ minutes longer in both cities.Bad thing in Munich was that they had to us the Metropolis PA, which (together with Biffs voice that night) sounded awful.

Karsten