Music that creates images.

D Mullholand

[project closed]
Aug 9, 2001
Visit site
Music is a strange and unique phenomenon, a powerful experience that works on many levels and while it's all just soundwaves transfered through the eardrums into our brain, the interesting stuff happens after that. Besides affecting emotions, one of its most exciting traits is the ability to invoke visual responses : either static pictures, or dynamic "movie scenes". I'm not talking about soundtrack music exclusively - even music like Opeth can be incredibly visual. I'm wondering, what is the link between music and the resulting visuals ? This is totally subjective territory, it probably depends on the listener's imagination and personality as much as on the musical material.

Which music has the best potential of being visual ? How does it depend on its complexity ? Complicated/contrapuntal music mostly does not fit - the mind is always focused and even when you try to build something from such music, it's more often a story than a sequence of scenes. Let's look elsewhere. Can primitive music be visual ? Unlikely in most cases. Primitive music (and I mean quality primitive music - shitty music is out of this discussion) focuses and enhances the state of mind. If it's aggressive, it develops and soaks in the listener's aggression, becoming something like anti-meditation, leaving the listener exhausted in the end, if you choose to follow the music completely. If it's relaxed, then it becomes complementary to the mind and becomes a form of meditation. But affected is only the state of mind, no intense images here. The search goes on.

Texture. One of the most important things. Monolithic sonic textures are not very effective - you won't see images throughout the whole course of a Beethoven piano sonata, for example; this is not to diminish their value, such music works on another level, and it's not the one where the images appear. Why do textures work like this ? Part of it comes from the cultural background of the listener. A primitive and bad example : the usage of flutes/violins by black/doom metal bands. Whenever a flute sample appears in a penguin album, and plays a cheesy melody, the reviewers write : folk-black metal ! And the violins, even in My Dying Bride ? Of course, the conclusion is "classically influenced" ! Bullshit, of course. But the fact is, the bands use the sound, no matter what melody it colors, to evoke a cliche association. "Cellos are instruments of sorrow." For me, such devices, unless used properly, fail to evoke associations and imagery. But it can be worse : what does every cheese-metal band use to build an "atmosphere" ? Of course, samples of raging medieval battles, howling wolves and those annoying crows. Sure, if there's a sound of a crow there, you won't see a cow instead, unless the recording quality is "true". But a good band can make you see that fucking crow, using music and lyrics, and then the little crow will be a lot more intimidating, for it will croak only in your head, as an element of a scene that appears before you !

But going back to the textures - used accordingly, they are a crucial element. I'm going to bring up Blackwater Park here : it's the most textured Opeth album, and at least for me, the most visually inspiring. As a contrast, Still Life is more complex, and equally emotional, but the melodies are so involved that the visual part is arguably less prominent. There is little time for the mood to settle down, still the constant mood-shifts fit the story perfectly.

What does Blackwater Park bring is more repetition, but also more textural diversity and depth. The chordal distorted passages of Drapery and the minimalistic acoustics in the middle of the title track have enough details going on in the background, so the repetition does not become unnatural, and works positively to establish a scene, before going to the next one. The fact that certain reminiscences and similar melodies occur throughout the album gives even more depth when you look at it from this angle. And the misunderstood Dirge for November is instantly redeemed - I do see a logic for the excessive repetition there, it makes the movement painfully slower and gruesome in its inevitablilty. It's like when you suddenly see something seemingly unspectacular slowly approaching you from the distance, and you have an irrational fear, and you find out that you cannot move; it's coming closer, you see it clearly now, but when it reaches you, it moves right through you and beyond; you feel desolate and sense that something's changed, but you can't put your finger on it, and you know that you'll never understand it. I'm not going to describe the images themselves - I'm waiting for more details to arrive, and the ones that are already there, are linked to the other songs in unexpected ways, so I guess my vision of Blackwater Park will be mine only for a long time.

The Opeth example may not be the best one - I could name other music which has this effect for me, and I'm sure you can find better examples.

But so far we have a few definitive elements of visual music :
1. Textural depth, with an equal balance of diversity and similarity.
2. Not primitive, but also not too complex, or convoluted/cluttered musical material.
3. Importance of change at the right time, change of texture and theme.
4. Links and structure, to add logic (or anti-logic) to the images.
5. Connection of textures and melodies with the listener's associative thinking.
6. Possibility of temporarily discarding one of these elements to enhance the effect.
We can find all of these characteristics in soundtrack music, in varied amounts.

I'm sure I missed a lot, so I hope you can add your thoughts, corrections and arguments. Like, what is the role of lyrics ? What can be shown by the lyrics and how must the music complement the lyrical images ? When the words are clear, strong and gripping, at the climactic juncture the music must be as straightforward as possible; it doesn't have to follow the words precisely, otherwise it becomes cartoonish and over-the-top. Sadly, there are not too many great lyricists in metal - most of them are either immature drunkers or dictionary-abusers (see Borknagar - what a shame, with such great music)... Oh well, looks like I'm straying into Rambleland...

Can you describe a piece of music (Opeth or any other) which brings the most profound images before your eyes ? Which music makes you see something and why ?

D Mullholand

Reactions: IcemanJ256
I have to agree with you in most points, but i do not think complex music can be trown overboard. There are many ways to approach complex music, one of them is being really focused and analizing their every detail, song structures, melodies and harmonies, consonacy and disonancy, contrapunt and sincopated ( Its sincopa in spanish im not shure in english, going form the weak part of the tempo to the strong part ). This things can and are present in bands that make images for me. One example is Cynic, they music is incredible complex and i have listened many times just picking the details, but many times i have just listened letting all elements just flows, what is amazing from cynic to me is how the music flows as a whole and has so many musical elements that are so well integrated you can forget about them and listen to the music flow, the images Cynic Focus creates for me are somehow hard to explain with words but are closely related to flowing...Another band that is complex and could make images is Aghora, if it wasnt for Santiago. He is a great guitar player but he is obsessed with heavy metal style on his solos, aplying things he knows from his musical background to heavy metal simplicity just does not work for me and it does not let the music flow. Some memorable moments in Aghora are in Frames until the first guitar solo breaks the flow. Is like that along all the album. Death TSOP is what i think you meant by complex things keeping you away taking too much mental efford to apreciate it, but even in TSOP you can find places to flow ( like in some parts of flesh and the power that it holds ) but again, Chuck's style was never meant to that approach his solos while amazing are just to straight foward to blend with the music, to the point that he usually creates riffs just for the solos. Is just not the kind of music you can picture things to. To me creating a nice atmosphere and flow is the most important thing to music to flow. I found myself picturing things with simple music Like Flowing Tears or Beseech because the elements are so well implemented. Not that well implementation of elements means everything, DT's Haven is one of the most integrated cds i have listened to, everything there just falls into the place, And it even flows in some songs but it just does not creates images for me, mainly because the songs are more arranged as individual songs following the exact same style of composition and musical elements, but the album is not created to be a whole like Opeth has done it. To me the elements that are esencial are admosphere and flow, and consistency as a whole. Now i have to agree with some of the statements you made about the admosphere, i think the concept people has of admosphere is just something that distracts from the melody, but there is much more to it. Some bands like opeth never include weird elements like nature sounds or obnoxious organs but the way they treat harmony in their songs to gently contrarest the melody with alot of caution, making an hymotizing effect is the way you create admosphere. You can create admosphere using the most complex elements, you can create admosphere using exotic elements, and you can create admosphere using nothing but a classical guitar as ive seen in alot of contemporaly classical guitar composers, and contemporaly music for that matter. I have encounter such complexity and yet hipnotising effect in things like free jazz, where a good management of chaos creates an expecific admosphere and flow, something most of the people i know do not understand because they cannot go beyong watching a bunch of people play random stuff.

As for the lyrics deparment yes it has a very strong part in the creation of images when used wisely, choosing the right words can be very powerful and it does not has to be complicated, they can be common day words ( Like on Demon of the fall, DT's Day to end, Lacuna Coils To myself i turned etc ) just as long as they are used wisely. Complex words are meant to express complex things, but a 3 letter words can be more complex if you consider the flow and admosphere created by the other words, the music, or a convination of the 2 things.

Well that is my opinion

i think the most important things to create mental images are complexity and how layered it is.

like i find the later opeth albums produce more mental imagery simply because there are so many different things to listen to at any one point and this allows a detailed picture to be drawn... with enough subtle changes to always change focus within the image and to progress/change the image

this was a really cool topic to read, but its hard to reply to coz u already said everything!!!!

and yeh lyrics definitely have an effect, since i learnt the story of Still Life i cant help but see the characters go through their scenes..
especially "Each and every one would die at my hand"!!

I agree a lot has already been said and challenging to reply but it is funny this thread appeared today....When I awoke this morning I put Shape of Despair in the cd player and just laid in bed for awhile. I quickly was in the state of half awake half asleep and along with the music i started having visions of the band playing live and different black and white photos of very sullen faces were being projected on the stage along with short black and white scenes from old movies of people crying. It was so moving in my half conscious state I awoke with the idea of e mailing the band, giving them the story and suggesting the use of projectors if they ever played live but decided against it:cry: . If you are familar with SoD then you know the very strong atmosphere they create and may be able to visualize what i'm saying.

Great thread D Mullholand, I enjoyed reading your post very much...thanks:)

Nice thread! Not much to add here...
Well, there is something: I think the artwork & booklet of an album can influence the images that are created by the music quite a bit.
And "primitive" music creates/enforces/weakens rather emotions than images, just like you said.

Misanthrope : hey, a cool reply ! You made me go and re-listen to Death's TSOP, and now I'm starting to see that it's quite good, to say the least ! And there's definitely something about Cynic that is visual.

Demon of the Fall, yeah, the first half especially - how could I forget...

Originally posted by Generation Speedkill
...............Mindy has a motorcycle.

Cute. Would you care to support this assertion ?

D Mullholand

I don't think any album filled my mind with as many images as MAYH the first time I listened to it. I remember after I bought it; I put it in my cd player, sprawled out on the bed and was swept away. I most vividly remember being carried over a dark forest as I listened to Epilogue; I had an amazing journey through that album.

The third Stabbing Westward album (Darkest Days) has a "imagery effect" on me, but their fourth one (They've gone from industrial to something along the lines of POP ROCK) is utter crap. No effects. No bleak atmosphere. Nothing.

Damn-good thread. But personally, i think that technical bands can acheive much more in the imagery department...

Death - Cosmic Sea.

Chuck is amazing. 'Cosmic Sea' is like pink-floyd on LSD. Instead of me describing what i see, i will reccomend that everyone listen to this song on headphones, with your eyes closed, and imagine for yourselves...

(Human is not the most technical CD around, but it is more layered than other metal-bands. Later Death like TSOP or Individual thought patterns is much more technical, and also very provoking image-wise...)

CYNIC - I'm but a wave to

Cynic is a very 'visual' band. I'm but a wave to is a very 'eerie' song to say the least. It is like a journey, it takes you from one point to another without any effort at all. Cynic is more than just another 'technical metal band', they are much more atmospheric and provoking than that.

Sentiment is also good, but i won't go into that.

Spiral Architect - Cloud Constructor.
Spiral Architect - Fountainhead
Spiral Architect - Insect.

Listen to all three tracks, from start to finish. The ending of Cloud Constructor is amazing...

'Nuff said...?

artwork and lyrics that describe settings and situations vividly and in a somewhat of a poetic way create images for me
if you're talking about Opeth, just sit down and read all the lyrics to My Arms Your Hearse.
The music isn't as textured as BWP(which creates a lot of imagery for me), but the lyrics really take you to this world, and it's like a movie appears in my head.

Great thread D Mullholand... I enjoyed reading it as well. :)

There's not too much to be added to your post... It'd be too hard to think of anything to add, anyways. Anyways, images that Opeth songs put in my mind...

Requiem / The Apostle In Triumph - Including the beginning part of TAIT, (which was intended for Requiem), Requiem is a great peice. It is either way, but I find it to be very epic in a different way from Opeth's other songs. I like it alot. In addition to it being split up between the two tracks, Mikael also mentioned another half that him and Anders (at least, I think it was Anders) wrote, that they never used. Mikael said "maybe it'll turn up later". I wonder...

To Bid You Farewell - My second favorite Opeth song. I almost always find myself becoming too overwhelmed by the music to think about what I'm seeing, but I find the song very visual. Lyrically, it reflects alot of talent, though there isn't alot of dialogue in contrast with the music, and that's not a bad thing. It shows a story to me, of two lovers parting, and it does that very well with it's lyrics.

I never really noticed until I thought about it, but every song on My Arms, Your Hearse puts a scene in my mind. I mean, you think "yeah, it was a concept album." But you don't notice these things so quickly. Or at least I didn't. Out of all of them, as far as imagery goes, I think I can hold When and Demon Of The Fall above the rest. Others do a good job, no doubt, but these two always worked in my mind.

The gate was closed that day, but I was bound to carry on. She could not see me through the windows. In dismay, strangest twist upon her lips. Graven face, she said my name. Once inside I heard whispers in the parlour. The gilded faces grin, aware of my final demise. And I cried, I knew she had lied. Her obsession had died, it had died. When can I take you from this place? When is the word but a sigh? When is death our lone beholder? When do we walk the final steps? When can we scream instead of whisper? When is the new beginning, the end of this sad Madrigal."

Wow, I'm even discovering my favorites lyrically, too...

The entire Still Life album put images in my head as well, perhaps better than MAYH, for some reason. It probably just clicked with me more. After all, it is my favorite album.

The Moor - I just love that. I picture someone bleeding and struggling to reach his destination, and near the end, finally laying his eyes upon it, and stuff. "The sigh of summer upon my return, fifteen alike since I was here..." Among other songs before the next one I'm going to "dissect", so to speak, Benighted is a visual song. Great song...

Face Of Melinda - Mikael was right about what he said in concert. (or at least 07/24), this has always been one of their finer songs. It puts images in my head very well. "By the turnstile beckons a damsel fair... the face of Melinda, neath blackened hair..." If I could choose one Opeth song to represent them, it would be this. No other song is like it, but I'd choose this anyway. It just reflects amazing songwriting ability. I won't go any further... It's just great.

White Cluster - My all time favorite Opeth song. It's just great. I may change my mind some day... but not soon. It's the last half of it, after the huge solo, that really grabs me. "Cloak-captured sighs of relief as it's primal touch brought me back... And the last thing I saw is still here, beckoning right behind me..." I get an orgasmic like rush when I hear that. Don't laugh, it's happened to you before. :D
After that vocal line is over, I picture whoever the character is supposed to be (a man, obviously) dropping as he's hanged. Then you hear the fading riffs... and I think of rushing into the stars... I think of his spirit being collected.

Hope Leaves - Nothing on Deliverance put an image in my mind, so I figured I'd skip to D2... this song is very sad, one of my favorites from the album. I think of the character sitting in the corner, beside his window, everything he sings about in the song.

Opeth... very good visually. As far as what their music illustrates.

tooting my own horn here a bit, but I'm a music major focusing on composition. and this being my senior year, i have to compose a large work. What I'm working on currently is writing a short story and then writing corresponding music for it. No words will be sung or spoken in the music (or if there is, I'll definitely mangle them so that they are more sounds than words). Clearly, I've stolen the idea a bit from my arms, your hearse, but I'd definitely mark that album as having made a huge impression on me as a composer. But there are some other artists I can think of as well who have created large landscapes and visual images. The self-proclaimed "greatest bassist of all time," Jaco Pastorius wrote two songs for his ex-wife after she passed away. Neither song sounds particularly impossible to play (though that is part of the beauty of the song--having written something that sounds right, yet is technically difficult) both songs leave a fairly clear impression of how jaco felt about his wife and captures his memories of their time together. I highly recommend downloding both songs: "Portrait of Tracy," and "Forgotten Love" (No, it's not metal, it's actually just really nerdy jazz from the late-70s.) So, I would personally say that the secret to writing something that creates an image is to view the song as a listener would to see if it isn't just something that the composer understands.

Anyway, as a side note, as I get more and more of my senior project done, I was wondering if anyone might be interested in helping to give me some feedback as I write. (I don't think I could possibly get enough feedback during the process) I trust your opinions as you're all opeth fans and by definition must like a pretty wide variety of music styles.

I didn't really read the whole post by D but I kind of understand enough to know what I'm talking about. I think that the entire Blackwater Album creates the most imagery for me. It remids so much of winter and the images of winter (with the exception of Harvest, which puts me in an autumnal mood), and I can also picture Still Life pretty well. But the band that really does it for me is maudlin of the Well. Their music touches me the most and fills my brain with images and moods creating from listening to their music. For example, on the song "The Ferryman," I can perfectly picture the River Styx flowing underground in a gigantic cavern with a lone boat floating across it.

Tiamat - Wildhoney
The tracks Kaleidoscope and Do You Dream of Me? really paint this scene of two people sitting on a porch in a very green and lush area during a tranquill thunderstorm while time stands still. I have almost had orgasms while listening to those tracks- seriously.

A similar image is with Ulver - Kveldssanger which is makes me think of several individuals sitting around a campfire, on top of a mountain, on a dark and clear night, playing these songs.

Other bands that paint images (and emotions) for me..
Solefald - The Linear Scaffold (at the end of the album the screeching seems incredibly forlorn and desperate as if the end is near for the individual)

Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse (Makes me think of a scene and a time similar to the album cover, though not as cheesy. Alienation, loneliness, hate)

Opeth - Deliverance ( (the track, not the album) the final powerchord riff, like someone once said on this board, is much like a devastating death march; unrelenting and uncompromising.)

etc...