NAMM 2008 Winter Show

AMBR

Metal Grandma
Mar 12, 2003
New Jersey
This Thursday marks the start of the 2008 NAMM winter show. For those not yet familiar with the event, and the entity which hosts it, here's a brief description from the NAMM Website:

The NAMM Show is the largest music products trade show in United States. Held every January in Anaheim, California, USA the show brings together all facets of the music products industry to reveal new musical instruments/products and ideas to help music products retailers and manufacturers become more successful. More than 80,000 NAMM Members and guests attended the January 2007 show. The NAMM Show is not open to the general public. The acronym NAMM originally stood for the National Association of Music Merchants, but has evolved from a national entity representing the interests of music products retailers to an international association including both commercial, retail members and affiliates. Therefore, the long form of the name is no longer used, and it is simply known as NAMM, the International Music Products Association. The 2008 show takes place January 17 through January 20 in Anaheim.

NAMM is an excellent opportunity to learn about the latest developments in the music industry and to meet people in all areas of the business. While a major goal for me is to make contacts hopefully leading to job opportunities in the industry, I am also very excited to attend some of the exhibits, clinics and performances.

Some highlights this year:

Gus G. will be making his second appearance at this year's NAMM show to promote his new ESP Signature and LTD model.
Gus G. states: "I can't wait to get back to the highest profile music Expo of the world, the NAMM show! This year I'll be releasing a new ESP Signature and LTD model, so come by the ESP booth to hang out and check my new guitar out. I will also be doing a signing session and a special performance at the Randall Amplifiers booth, with whom I recently teamed up and am proudly endorsing their killer T2 amp model."

Alexi Laiho and keyboardist Janne Wirman (Children of Bodom) will be at NAMM 2008 on January 18th and 19th. Laiho is due to hold two signing sessions at the ESP booth, and the pair will present a couple of live clinics.

Derek Sherinian will appear at NAMM Saturday, Jan. 19 demonstrating the new Korg M3 Workstation. More appearances may be scheduled.

Other musicians that will be in attendance include:
Michael Amott (ARCH ENEMY), Christian Olde Wolbers (FEAR FACTORY), Dan Donegan (DISTURBED), George Lynch (DOKKEN, LYNCH MOB), Michael Wilton, Mike Stone & Eddie Jackson (Queensryche) Paul Gray (Slipknot) Herman Li and Sam Topman (Dragonforce), Wayne Static (STATIC-X)

Is anyone else from the forum attending or does anyone who has been to NAMM in the past have experiences/advice/photos they'd like to share?

I'll be sure to write up my experiences when I return and post photos.

I know for sure that Rusty Cooley(OUTWORLD) will be at the show doing some playing and some lessons along with Matt, Bobby, Carlos, Shawn of OUTWORLD and they will be signing autographs at certain booths. Plus Intellitouch tuners has a booth, and will have some of their artists endorsers there.

Amber, remind me again what you do for a living. I'm feeling right now like you must have the coolest job in the world. The last trade show I went to was the Maryland Food, Beverage & Lodging EXPO (for one of my construction firm clients who builds restaurants), and while the free food samples were good, it doesn't nearly compare with the coolness of this trade show or it's guests. :headbang:

My non-forum friend and her husband will be there... but I've never been. She really enjoys it, year after year.

I've been to Winter NAMM show a few times. And its an absolute blast! My biggest complaint is that I missed it last year and this year. but hope to be back for next. haha.

Anyway, I have tons of pics and advise to share if you want it. Just PM me with your email addy :)

Also, unless something has changed, Mattias Eklundh will be there at the Laney booth for sure, and I'm sure he'll stop by the Caparison booth as well...

A man that I know named Keith will be there...he has been making great glass guitar slides for years (Skeeters Slides, I believe). Over the last year, people all over have started using them. Highly recommended for anyone who plays slide.

anyway, he'll be there with his slides.

Amber, remind me again what you do for a living. I'm feeling right now like you must have the coolest job in the world. The last trade show I went to was the Maryland Food, Beverage & Lodging EXPO (for one of my construction firm clients who builds restaurants), and while the free food samples were good, it doesn't nearly compare with the coolness of this trade show or it's guests. :headbang:
Heh, I've had a number of different career paths over the years and have attended trade shows involving everything from culinary, to internet development and even the hockey summit in Boston.

For the past 16 years I've been a journalist reporting crime for the illustrious Asbury Park Press. Five years ago, I started doing freelance jobs in the music industry. I'm riding into NAMM on the ticket for Drumhead Magazine who I've been doing photography and some writing for over the past year. Still writing crime for the Press, but want to dump that and do music related projects exclusively. Hope NAMM helps me achieve that goal. Thanks for asking.

@synflower - I'll be sending you a PM. I'd love to hear your experiences and check out photos. Thanks for the offer.

Not going this year, but have been to NAMM shows in the past. Always a good time. Be sure to get a schedule of any clinics/demos during the show, as well as any concerts in the evening. I've caught some great acts that way.

dt

Chris Caffery is scheduled to be there. Also, as stated above Rusty will be there and I think Bobby and Carlos from Outworld as well.

I've always wanted to go to one of these shows just to see all of the goodies coming out on the market. I know way, way back Liquid Tension Experiment did a couple sets there (that would have been very cool to see).

Is NAMM open to the general public or is it just to people in the industry?

Chris Caffery is scheduled to be there. Also, as stated above Rusty will be there and I think Bobby and Carlos from Outworld as well.

I've always wanted to go to one of these shows just to see all of the goodies coming out on the market. I know way, way back Liquid Tension Experiment did a couple sets there (that would have been very cool to see).

Is NAMM open to the general public or is it just to people in the industry?
No. You have to be a member or a members' guest, but a lot of people manage to go regardless. There are ways. ;)
The whole badge thing is somewhat, shall we say, "fluid."

I'm got a badge through a magazine I work for. I hope to take some photos they'll use in their write-up on the event.

I'll be there. Helping out Kulick Amps and Motoby guitars. Others in attendance,
Death Angel, Yngwie, Joe Satriani, Tommy Bolan, Kerry King, Chuck Billy,Jeff Loomis, Steve Smyth, Geoff Thorpe, George Lynch (so want to go to the invite only show w/ Alexi Leiho) and so many others. Give me a holler okay! Oh don't forget to get your Kenny G autograph:lol:

Looking forward to this weekend....The new JOP record will be complete and if you track me down
(and you have some headphones) I would be honored to let anyone here some new music
through my ipod!

Cheers and Beers!

\m/

Gus G and Bill Hudson will also be there - and maybe we can get MindFlow in there somehow (even as guests) since 3/5 of the band are in LA at this very moment recording their new CD. Anyone know how to make this happen at the last minute? Is it possible? :)

George Lynch (so want to go to the invite only show w/ Alexi Leiho) and so many others.
You must mean this one:

Living Colour featuring WILL CALHOUN

Date: 1/18/2008
Time: 7 p.m.

Description:
Private show in the Hilton Hotel of Anaheim, CA next the the Convention Center for NAMM. Living Colour, Black Stone Cherry, John McCarthy, and The Gods of Love, with special guest appearances by Marc Rizzo, Alexi Laiho, George Lynch, Jonathan Mover, Desiree Bassett, Bad Apple Dancers and the Coffin Case Fashion Show.

Jonathan is the editor in chief of Drumhead Magazine, so I have a ticket. :headbang:

Pretty damn excited too! :Smokin:

Hopefully, I'll be able to take some photos.