New Trivium album...

H-evolve

Apr 21, 2014
Montreal, Canada
This post isn't related to their music itself. I'm not a fan, but I don't hate them either. I'm just OK with their music I guess.

It's more about their sound on this latest album.

Hopefully nobody here worked on it, cause I wouldn't want to hurt anybody's feeling. But still, gotta say that I don't get what is up with some "big bands" and their production.

I mean, you listen to this album, the guitar tone is at best "decent" (I think it's horrible), the drum is, I find, too loud versus the rest. And those guitars are not cutting through the mix (probably because of that "shit" tone).

I'm not a pro, never been in a studio to record an album, so call me an asshole that shouldn't be judging their work... but I really don't get how big names like that can be satisfied with that. Anybody else had a listen to it and agrees with me?

Pro or not it doesn't matter. Your opinion is not less inferior than anybody elses opinion and you have your right to have an opinion like anyone else. Never been a fan of Trivium. Okey I listened to one song on youtube. The drums are louder yes, but I don't the see the problem with that.The guitars can't dominate on all albums. I mean you will want to sound differently on every album you release and not make the same over and over again and the same is true with the guitar sound. They're happy with it otherwise they wouldn't released it. I mean we hear the more or less the same guitar sound over and over and over again from metal bands nowadays and it's so boring. Listen to 80's metal and you hear more variety than you have ever done in the 21 century.

Pro or not it doesn't matter. Your opinion is not less inferior than anybody elses opinion and you have your right to have an opinion like anyone else. Never been a fan of Trivium. Okey I listened to one song on youtube. The drums are louder yes, but I don't the see the problem with that.The guitars can't dominate on all albums. I mean you will want to sound differently on every album you release and not make the same over and over again and the same is true with the guitar sound. They're happy with it otherwise they wouldn't released it. I mean we hear the more or less the same guitar sound over and over and over again from metal bands nowadays and it's so boring. Listen to 80's metal and you hear more variety than you have ever done in the 21 century.

I get what you mean, but I just don't fully agree. Or I should say, I don't disagree, but this is not exactly how I see things! :)

I wouldn't say that in this specific case they managed to achieve "different and good". It's probably different than the current "mainstream" sound in metal, yes... but I am really not convinced of the final result. For example: I guess Metallica was "satisfied" with the St-Anger sound, but I think it's quite universal now that it was horrible. Trying to make things differently is surely commendable, but it's not a guarantee of good results.

Going back to the Trivium album, the guitar is just very muffled and doesn't cut through much. At some point, especially in metal, it is what is carrying the melody and the punch of the song. So having it muffled, and partially hidden behind a loud drum... Let's just summarize to "I would have done things much differently!"

Anyway, I wasn't trying to convince you! Was just clarifying my thoughts following your comment.

Cheers