NWOBHM selection!

Fangface

Child of the Damned
Jan 25, 2002
France
www.fangface.com
I'm running a Metal broadcast on a local radio, and next week I'll program a "NWOBHM special", featuring 30 bands.

Here's my selection, I already got song ideas for most bands, but I would be curious to read yours first
icon_smile.gif

(1 song by artist, not necesseraly the most known, but a song that gives a good idea of the band.)

Angel Witch -
Bitches Sin -
Blitzkrieg -
Chateaux -
Cloven Hoof -
Demon -
Diamond Head -
Elixir -
Gaskin -
Girlschool -
Grim Reaper -
Holocaust -
Iron Maiden -
Jaguar -
Legend -
Praying Mantis -
Quartz -
Raven -
Samson -
Satan -
Savage -
Saxon -
Tank -
Tokyo Blade -
Tygers Of Pan Tang -
Tysondog -
Tytan -
Venom -
Witchfinder General -
Witchfynde -

:headbang:

Reactions: Wyvern
I'm awful at remembering song titles, but here's a couple off the top of my head....

Chateaux - Chained And Desperate
Grilschool - Take It All Away
Grim Reaper - D.O.A.
Raven - Hell Patrol

Judas Priest :lol:

Anyway, here's what I'd suggest, from the bands I know:

Angel Witch - Angel Witch
Bitches Sin - Ain't Life A Bitch (though I believe this song was released about 5 years after the NWOBHM...shut up!)
Diamond Head - The Prince
Girlschool - Race With The Devil
Iron Maiden - Phantom Of The Opera
Samson - Vice Versa
Saxon - And The Bands Played On
Tygers Of Pan Tang - Do It Good
Venom - Nightmare
Witchfynde - Ready To Roll

Sounds like a fantastic show :)

Angel Witch: (S/T) - White Witch

Holocaust: (Nightcomers) - Crying Shame

Iron Maiden: (S/T) - Prowler

Samson: (Shock Tactics) - Go To Hell

Saxon: (Strong Arm Of The Law) - Heavy Metal Thunder

Tygers Of Pan Tang: (Wild Cats) - Euthanasia

Witchfinder General: (Death Penalty) - Burning A Sinner

Angel Witch - Angel Witch
Blitzkrieg - Blitzkrieg
Def Leppard-Wasted
Diamond Head - Am I Evil?
Girlschool - Take It All The Way
Grim Reaper -All Hell Let Loose
Iron Maiden - Ides Of March/Wrathchild
Jaguar - Run For Your Life
Motorhead- Ace Of Spades
Raven - Hard Ride
Samson - Riding With The Angels
Saxon -Heavy Metal Thunder
Tygers Of Pan Tang - Gangland
Venom - Black Metal

And where the hell is MOTORHEAD? They're British, they're metal, they came out at that time. I think they count. And even though they couldn't be farther from heavy metal now, Def Leppard were also part of the NWOBHM, albeit not the heaviest band from it, but if Samson can be counted, i say so can Def Leppard way back when. So i thought i'd add them.

Angel Witch - 'Angel Witch'
Iron Maiden - 'Hallowed Be Thy Name'
Demon - 'Don't Break The Circle'
Avenger - 'N.O.T.J.'
Jaguar - 'Chasing The Dragon'
Tokyo Blade - 'Break The Chains'
Witchfynde - 'Somewhere To Hide'
Witchfinder General - 'Music'
Saxon - 'Motorcycle Man'
banger.gif

Samson - 'Take Me To Your Leader'
Tank - 'Shellshock'
Bliztkrieg - 'Pull The Trigger'
Satan - 'Broken Treaties'
Diamond Head - 'It's Electric'
Praying Mantis - 'Panic In The Streets'

Bands that are not NWOBHM but deserve to sound there:

Sortilege - 'D'Ailleurs'
H-Bomb - 'Gwendoline'
Motorhead - 'The Hammer'
Judas Priest - 'Breaking The Law'
Black Sabbath - 'Neon Knights'

Thanks for all your suggestions, you've already mentionned most of my initial picks!

As for Motorhead, I don't think they were part of the NWOBHM, just like Judas Priest, they came out 3-4 years earlier and were already an established act when the NWOBHM rose.
Def Leppard? mm why not, seems like I've forgotten them ;)

Angel Witch - Angel Of Death

Blitzkrieg - Viking

Cloven Hoof - Gates OF Gehennah

Diamond Head - Sucking My Love

Grim Reaper - All Hell Let Loose
Holocaust - Death Or Glory
Iron Maiden - Wrath Child
Jaguar - Out Of Luck

Raven - Wiped Out
Samson - Earth Mother

Savage - Cry Wolf
Saxon - Heavy Metal Thunder

Tygers Of Pan Tang - Spellbound

Venom - In Nomine Satanas

Wow, this show is going to be awesome! Any chance of getting a tape of the broadcast??? I'll pay for postage, etc. - Your playlist of bands is great, the only other one I would suggest is Sweet Savage, but they're only available on compilations... good luck with the show and please let me know about the tape! I'd also be interested in trading for NWOBHM stuff!!!!!

Wicked Child said:
And where the hell is MOTORHEAD? They're British, they're metal, they came out at that time. I think they count. And even though they couldn't be farther from heavy metal now, Def Leppard were also part of the NWOBHM, albeit not the heaviest band from it, but if Samson can be counted, i say so can Def Leppard way back when. So i thought i'd add them.
Motorhead started round about 1975, didn't they? Just a bit ahead of yourself there *^_^*

FangFace said:
As for Motorhead, I don't think they were part of the NWOBHM, just like Judas Priest, they came out 3-4 years earlier and were already an established act when the NWOBHM rose.
Def Leppard? mm why not, seems like I've forgotten them ;)
Ayeka said:
Motorhead started round about 1975, didn't they? Just a bit ahead of yourself there *^_^*
ACTUALLY, they FORMED in '75, But they released their debut in '78. Saxon formed two years later, and released their debut the same year as Motorhead's. RAVEN formed in 1974, one year BEFORE Motorhead! And they count, so HA! :Spin:

Wicked Child said:
ACTUALLY, they FORMED in '75, But they released their debut in '78. Saxon formed two years later, and released their debut the same year as Motorhead's. RAVEN formed in 1974, one year BEFORE Motorhead! And they count, so HA! :Spin:
Wrong sorry. Motorhead's debut "On Parole" is from 1975 (September) but wasn't released until 1980 by Cleopatra Records to cash on the band success after had been shelved by United Artists originally. Anyway since Lemmy wasn't thrilled with the result he revamped th eband and the album in the self-titled debut "Motorhead" from 1977, by 1979 they were releasing "Overkill" their second album, and "Bomber" their third.

Judas Priest was formed in 1969, but their debut "Rockarolla" is from 1974.
Iron Maiden demo is 79, Saxon debut is 79, Def Leppard debut is 79-80. Quartz in considered NWOBHM but their debut is on 1977. Raven debut is 1980. Budgie consider by some part of the NWOBHM debut is from 1971 as ld as Nazareth or Thin Lizzy!

IMO you can consider truly NWOBHM any band with a debut in 1980 (or towards the end of 79) up to 1983, and the second wave from 1983-85.

Wyvern said:
Wrong sorry. Motorhead's debut "On Parole" is from 1975 (September) but wasn't released until 1980 by Cleopatra Records to cash on the band success after had been shelved by United Artists originally. Anyway since Lemmy wasn't thrilled with the result he revamped th eband and the album in the self-titled debut "Motorhead" from 1977, by 1979 they were releasing "Overkill" their second album, and "Bomber" their third.

Judas Priest was formed in 1969, but their debut "Rockarolla" is from 1974.
Iron Maiden demo is 79, Saxon debut is 79, Def Leppard debut is 79-80. Quartz in considered NWOBHM but their debut is on 1977. Raven debut is 1980. Budgie consider by some part of the NWOBHM debut is from 1971 as ld as Nazareth or Thin Lizzy!

IMO you can consider truly NWOBHM any band with a debut in 1980 (or towards the end of 79) up to 1983, and the second wave from 1983-85.
Ok, my mistake, then. I retract my "HA". They barely missed it though. And Priest? Hell, i knew THAT! You're talkin' to a HUGE Priest fan, my friend!

Most of these are fairly obvious, but here goes.
Angelwitch: Angelwitch
Bitches Sin: Always Ready
Demon: Ride The Wind or One Helluva Night
Girlschool: Yeah Right
Grim Reaper: Final Screams (cool intro)
Jaguar: Axe Crazy
Praying Mantis: Flirting With Suicide
Quartz: Stoking Up The Fires OF Hell
Raven:Break The Chain
Samson: Take It Like A Man
Saxon: And The Bands Played On
Tank: I Fell in Love With A Stormtrooper
Tygers Of Pan Tang: Love Don't Stay
Witchfynde: Ready To Roll

And a couple of bands that weren't on the list: Fist- You'll Never Get Me Up In One Of Those. Trespass- Stormchild.
Incidentally, it is one of the great regrets of my life that I had the chance to see Split Beaver in 1991-ish and passed it up in favour of a pub crawl. :headbang:

Def Leppard were also part of the NWOBHM, albeit not the heaviest band from it, but if Samson can be counted, i say so can Def Leppard way back when. So i thought i'd add them

Yep can't forget about Lep.

I don't care for OTtN, but H&D was pretty kicking. I like the title track and "Let it Go."

Bryant

Witchfinder General said:
Wow, this show is going to be awesome! Any chance of getting a tape of the broadcast??? I'll pay for postage, etc. - Your playlist of bands is great, the only other one I would suggest is Sweet Savage, but they're only available on compilations... good luck with the show and please let me know about the tape!
Thanks for your interest dude, yet I think it will probably bore you as it's a french-speaking broadcast ;)

Back to what Wyvern said, I also think the beginning of NWOBHM is mid-1979 or 1980 at least.
Maybe we can consider Quartz as the first band from the NWOBHM?