Please check my drumsound & mix!! (real drumkit with 7 mics)

Felix Neumann

Sep 14, 2008
Germany
www.youtube.com
Hey fellas :)

Let me know, what you think about my drumsound. I used replacement only for the snare (60%). This is a really short clip, so I guess you´ll find some time to listen to. I´ll post some clips with some toms in the next days.

This is the drumsound alone:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2414899/DRUMSOUND_SOLO.mp3

You may wonder, why I put so much more reverb on the kick than on the snare, but you´ll probably hear, it works in the mix. Ah yeah, and I thought, It´d be time for a small Pantera quote ;)

The drumsound in the mix:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2414899/DRUMSOUND_INTHEMIX.mp3

What do you think about the drumsound and the mix as a whole?

Wow felix! It sounds pretty cool... I'm liking the sharpness in the kick, it sounds so "hard". I would never dare using that much reverb on the kick though, in fear of cluttering up the lows in the mix once all instruments are added but if you keep an eagle eye on that kick's reverb throughout the rest of the mix I think it'll be alright :)

Great job on the drums man!

Dude, seriously...THANKS! I´m really glad, you like it. You´re right, it´s kind of risk to put so much low reverb on the kick, but it can make the whole mix sound more powerful, (though with eagle eyes and dog´s ears for some bass & guitar frequences could rub with it) It´s a subtle element in the mix, but it has an effect. For fast songs/parts, I´d definitively use not so much reverb (deadly for doublebass obviously), this is reserved for the slow and fat parts.

Sounds good dude. Now you have to keep working to improve even more your skills in drums recording. I agree with Erkan about the reverb in the kick. I never used at least for metal/rock. Reverb can kill the punch of the kick and mess with other things in low end. But you did a good job.

I think that if you're not into excessive double-bassing then reverb should be finde. but it wouldnt work for anything fast I guess, as you said...
the kick sounds great! I'd prefer the snare fatter, but my tastes for snares is somehow special I think, it sounds good anyway;)
overheads too

Thanks dudes :)

Yeah, of course for fast parts this reverb would be pure poison. As soon the doublebass is in use, it becomes completely worthless. For heavy slow stuff it´s perfect though and gives a massive BOOM to it.

I´ll post some more clips (especially with toms) and faster doublebass playing in the next days.

Man that kick is fucking awesome dude, nicely done - can't say I'm too crazy about the snare, it's a bit dry and snappy for my tastes, and I'm not a big fan of the sound of that cymbal in the right channel, though that's probably just the cymbal sound itself, cuz the overhead separation is great! I get where you're trying to go with the bass, but IMO it feels a bit too boosted in the "clang" range for that Rex Brown-style tone; cuz it still just sounds sort of oddly muffled/underwater - if you're not using stainless steel strings, I'd really recommend giving 'em a try man! (and EMG's too :D) But that kick, damn :worship:

Man that kick is fucking awesome dude, nicely done - can't say I'm too crazy about the snare, it's a bit dry and snappy for my tastes, and I'm not a big fan of the sound of that cymbal in the right channel, though that's probably just the cymbal sound itself, cuz the overhead separation is great! I get where you're trying to go with the bass, but IMO it feels a bit too boosted in the "clang" range for that Rex Brown-style tone; cuz it still just sounds sort of oddly muffled/underwater - if you're not using stainless steel strings, I'd really recommend giving 'em a try man! (and EMG's too :D) But that kick, damn :worship:

Thanks Marcus, my friend :kickass: I´m glad, you liked the kick!

Haha I know, you and my Sabian splash cymbal (placed on the right) will never be friends :lol: For the overall sound my intention was it to get an natural, dirty, brutal and unusual/unspent sound. I assume, I cannot reach everyones taste with that sound. As far nobody is pressing the crap alarm button, it´s okay for me :) Thanks for your opinion!

Nice one! Drums do sound great in the mix. For that slow weighty stuff the kick works great.
BTW, is that the new sound you're heading for in general? That clangy bass is cool. The guitar could be cool with some more growl?

Shogger

Nice one! Drums do sound great in the mix. For that slow weighty stuff the kick works great.
BTW, is that the new sound you're heading for in general? That clangy bass is cool. The guitar could be cool with some more growl?

Shogger

Thanks dude :kickass: Glad you dig it!

Concerning your question, I can say..YES. I´m in search of a new sound and I come closer to my idea more and more.

What mics are using here? The kick sounds HUGE, but the rest could be improved. You gotta fucking LAY INTO THAT SNARE DRUM. Make everything but fills a rimshot (you seem to have mostly cymbals in your OHs too.. this'll get a bit of snare drum in there to help widen it/thicken it a bit).

The cymbals sound like quite cheap cymbals? If they're not, you're probably overEQing your OHs. If they are.. just hope noone notices cos good cymbals are really expensive ;p

Also look into a room mic or two, can REALLY give you a lot of depth.

Sounds good though man, you should have heard my early drum recordings XD terrible.

What mics are using here? The kick sounds HUGE, but the rest could be improved. You gotta fucking LAY INTO THAT SNARE DRUM. Make everything but fills a rimshot (you seem to have mostly cymbals in your OHs too.. this'll get a bit of snare drum in there to help widen it/thicken it a bit).

The cymbals sound like quite cheap cymbals? If they're not, you're probably overEQing your OHs. If they are.. just hope noone notices cos good cymbals are really expensive ;p

Also look into a room mic or two, can REALLY give you a lot of depth.

Sounds good though man, you should have heard my early drum recordings XD terrible.

Yeah dude, I´m optimizing some elements nearly everyday. The next important step will be buying some Rode overhead mics and better tom microphones. Currently in use are pretty cheap samson mics (!)..(except the sm 57 for snare). Though The samson kickdrum microphone I´ll not giving away, It´s pure gold.

Thanks for your opinion, dude! :kickass: I´ll keep you updated.