Recording ITB w/ PT- "Software preamps"?

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
I'm relatively new to recording directly into Pro Tools. I don't currently have a hardware preamp, unless you count whatever the Mbox 2 does, I just think of that as an interface. Pre-Mbox 2, I was recording with Line 6 UX2, on vocals for instance, I would record with the console preamp models in Pod Farm 2. I still have POD Farm 2, and the demo version has the preamp models. My question is, is there a way to record "through" a software preamp like this into Pro Tools? My SM 57 seems to need the extra gain to get a good level. Also, is there a better preamp software out there? If none of what I'm saying makes sense, let me know! I suck at explaining things sometimes...

For a software preamp to do any good, you have to supply it with a good signal anyway, so if i understand your question correctly, then my answer is: no.

Yeah all those "preamps" in Pod Farm are doing is eq'ing your sound and providing a digital level increase. You need to be setting the levels with the preamp gain knob on the mbox, and then while mixing you can throw those on there if you like the color....

Yeah all those "preamps" in Pod Farm are doing is eq'ing your sound and providing a digital level increase. You need to be setting the levels with the preamp gain knob on the mbox, and then while mixing you can throw those on there if you like the color....

Thanks, yeah this is what I was trying to say. I know that the preamp modelers just do a kind of eq and signal boost, so I guess the best bet is to just record dry and add that as first plug in on chain. I had the gain on the Mbox pretty high I thought, I'll double check it next time

Oh yeah, I have another , bit off topic, question. Say I record some vocals etc and I get a good compressor sound or whatever. Is there any difference between going to audiosuite, then processing the whole track with that compressor setting, rather than printing the tracks with it, which is obviously way slower? Just curious because I rarely use Audiosuite like this and I wonder if it would save some time/ cpu

why would you want to print a compressor setting if it's not a hardware unit?
put it in the insert of your mix session and print it when you do the final bounce

oh and yeah, as allready said, "software preamps" don't add any gain

why would you want to print a compressor setting if it's not a hardware unit?
put it in the insert of your mix session and print it when you do the final bounce

oh and yeah, as allready said, "software preamps" don't add any gain

I was using compressor as an example.

u sure you didn't mean to write sm7 instead of sm57?
cause with that one I'd understand the issues

yeah I've heard sm7 has gain problems. This is SM57, never had problems when using it with line 6 ux2. Like I said I might just not be used to Mbox 2 yet, just got it like a week ago

Yeah, I know it was the right one because when I moved the knob the level was increased/ decreased. I'll mess with it some more next time

just to be clear ... I'm not saying make sure you have the correct channel selected

I'm saying if you have your gat plugged in and the input selector set wrong, even with the pre's gain cranked you might have a weak signal. Hit that input selector again with the pre level the same and you'll blow your fucking eyeballs outta your skull

just to be clear ... I'm not saying make sure you have the correct channel selected

I'm saying if you have your gat plugged in and the input selector set wrong, even with the pre's gain cranked you might have a weak signal. Hit that input selector again with the pre level the same and you'll blow your fucking eyeballs outta your skull

You're talking about the DI/ Mic switch thing? You're saying if say I didn't realize I had DI selected and tried recording a mic, it would actually still pick up a signal?

Guy I bought it from didn't include the manual, or even a usb plug, haha. But I did read through the manual online. The signal I'm getting I think is normal, I'm just used to it being louder/ more compressed coming through the line 6 since I printed the wet version ran through the preamp emulation etc