You -blank- the cab up with a 57

• Miced

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • Miked

Votes: 23 15.6%
  • Mic'd

Votes: 92 62.6%

• Total voters
Sorry to drag this thread up, but I like the topic!

I think the answer is (as someone already pointed out) that "mic" is a noun and not a verb, this is true according to the Oxford English dictionary which is a reliable standard! Therefore it is always incorrect to "mic something up".

Some online dictionaries claim it can be a verb too, in this case, the correct way to write it would be "mic'ed" or "mic'd", the reason for this is not because you've dropped letters, the word is acceptable in its own right in the same way as we don't write 'fridge. The apostrophe is there just to disambiguate the word from "mice".

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp

Is an excellent page on apostrophes. :loco:

Miced or Mic'ed
But how would you type EQ ? E.Qed or EQ'd or EQ'ed ?
Any way who cares ?
Dumb thread.

Hey All - I know this one is ass-old and probably well forgotten about, but the topic is actually very relevant - especially for the little ones just getting into it.

As my opening volley into your communicational foray, even though any and all dictionaries may have a listing for "miked", anyone that has been in the field of sound reinforcement for longer than 30 minutes knows that such a spelling is entirely inaccurate.

(And, yes, "communicational" is a real word. In this form of "communication" it is an adjective. A little something I will establish definitive clarity beyond reproach somewhere below)

Here is the bottom line: I find it surprising that no one has picked up on this except for the briefest of moments it was being actively, and incorrectly, argued against. When describing the action of applying a microphone to a person (or drum, or stack, etc), the short form of the word, microphone, represented as 'mic' becomes the action-verb in the sentence - NOT the noun. As an example, "We mic'ed him up." Just because that form of the very real word does not appear in Websters (or Oxford, etc) means absolutely nothing at all.

In a previous post it was mentioned,"I think the answer is (as someone already pointed out) that "mic" is a noun and not a verb, this is true according to the Oxford English dictionary which is a reliable standard! Therefore it is always incorrect to "mic something up"." Because a given word can be represented as a noun, an adjective, and a verb - and quite a few are already include in the various dictionaries on which you make your case, I am sorry to report your premise is based on a clearly incorrect assumption. I truly do apologize as I have no intention to call someone out. Especially considering what you all are trying to establish for someone that initially asked.

Past that statement offers no proof as to the supposition being argued. The reason being is that dictionaries present many a variation of the same core word resulting in the modification to determine that the word is being used as a noun, adjective, or a verb. Though the action version of the core word, microphone, or more specifically its abbreviation, mic, was not included in current printings of any given dictionary only serves to unveil a specific ignorance that the stiff-collars and up-tights that sit around passing judgement on what words are to be included and which are to be left out have not a clue of the things that most of us participate in while getting a show road ready and, ultimately, ready for presentation to the public at large. Frankly, they do not have the life experience to even conceive of the need for such an abbreviation action-verb. Though it is not their fault, it is in no conceivable way a representation that the word is not real.

The fact of the matter is that through most of the logic presented between the members here, you actually defined through the rules that most English speaking territories rely on for the construction of legitimate words. Or, should I more accurately offer, "words that become legitimate by someone voting up or down for the inclusion of a word that is already being used by a certain sect of the public for which the dictionaries are intended to serve.

New words are added prior to every publication of those books and there is no time in the entirety of human history after the invention of the printing press where any of them contained every word in the common vernacular of any given group or people. PERIOD. With that being an absolute in what we depend on as our reality, I wager that not a one of us here has taken the time to submit out utilization of the action descriptor, mic'ed or mic'd, to the powers that be that make the decisions for said inclusions. If someone were to take such an action, if anyone feels that what I have offered here betters the case for the inclusion of either or both prior to the next printing, I volunteer that you may leverage the argument forward as you see fit.

The only REAL question to "argue" through (with the real definition of "to argue" or "argument" is "To Render Clear") is if the construct of the aforementioned action-verb is to be represented as "mic'd" or "mic'ed". And the answer to that, my newfound friends, is an answer that I simply do not know, hence my soft suggestion that perhaps both should simply be included and, with my sustained offer to use all or in part anything I have included here should it be considered worthy.

I was quite entertained by the initial banter under this topic and simply wanted to take part as well as I, too, were looking for the more correct form of the mic'd or mic'ed expression. Though a conclusion had yet to be reached prior to the entry, I just wanted to play the smallest of part (play meaning the action-verb vs a group of folks on a stage acting out a story (grin) - oh, and 'stage' meaning the noun, not the act of setting up an event (a more evil grin).) toward the ultimate determination.

I know! I know! I'm leaving now.

Y'all Take care.

Sincerely and without hesitation,

Max Laing, D. MP
CEO / Project Development
ActionCore, Inc. and The Allowing Success Distribution Network.
max [at] allowingsuccess [dot] com

Good God - I guess I couldn't help myself...

It's me again.

mic
(third-person singular simple present mics, present participle micing or mic'ing, simple past and past participle miced or mic'ed)

See also: Alteration of mic, clipping of microphone.
mic (plural mics) (informal) A microphone. Attested since 1970.

Etymology
Abbreviation of microphone. Attested since 1961.

Should anyone be interested, it seems that others out there are "rendering clear" that the verb form of the abbreviation does, in fact, exist. I found their point and counter point interesting, though exceedingly less colorful of the conversation I stumbled upon, and invited myself into, here.

The article of which I speak, "How Should ‘Microphone’ be Abbreviated?", exists here: https://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/magazine/01-onlanguage-t.html

I will leave it alone now.

...with great honor for allowing me to play along...