So who else has beef with this final four?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zivilyn

I'm long winded
Jul 17, 2003
Visit site
Somehow, even though we were the ones voting, I can't help but notcie all the negativity about the remaining four songs. I didn't want to clutter up wwallinga's thread, so I'm just doing my pissin and moanin in here, and hopefully others will too so this can be the shitfest thread instead of that one.

First of all, no Demon of the Fall just makes me think this whole thing is not accurate. That's sacrelige. Demon of the Fall isn't especially long, and I think that's why many people don't appreciate it (The Black Rose Immortal Effect, if I were a scientist :tickled: ). Is it too mainstream sounding? I know that's a ridiculous thing to say, but in a way that's the impression I get off of people. It's not a difficult song to grasp, it's really just rock-out-with-yer-cock-out stuff (but I still get atleast three chills throughout it's playing time). But for me (and I assumed everyone else), this is their magnum opus, even if it's easily digestible, 6:something minutes.
To me this song was designed to just be a short burst of a perfect thought, which is rare in an Opeth song.. I feel sometimes they tack on an additional 4 minutes or so as a self conscious thing, like they feel obligated to bring the 10 minute stuff. But Demon is just one of those special moments where they don't need to, it's whole. It's what I show everyone who needs to hear Opeth, it's the perennial encore song, it shouldn't be any less than 2nd place. Now, to me, this whole contest is bunk, because I know where it belongs, not just for me but for the bulk of Opeth listeners-concertgoers that might not be here.

It got defeated by Ghost of Perdition?! That's just the thrill of having a NEW song, I think, and Ghost of Perdition isn't even the strongest example on Ghst Reveries I think. Whatever, if it beat any other song I'd let it slide, because that's understandable. Ghost of Perdition seems to me to be random Drop-D fodder that I've heard before. After 7-8 minutes, I grow tired of it. It got so far because it's the opener and it's fresh. That's another innaccuracy to me, hold this again in 3 years and Demon will RUIN that song.

Bleak is better than The Drapery Falls? Uhh... What meeting did I miss? As far as I can remember, from day one, Drapery has been THE Blackwater Park song. Nothing against Bleak or anything, but I dunno... Maybe this is jst a taste issue. As much as I'll stand by my thought that Demon should be in the final four, the Bleak vs. Drapery debate is a lot less important. I just found it weird, so I thought I'd comment.

DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE MOOR. Gah.. I said in another thread, When is in the top 15 Opeth songs, The Moor is in the bottom 15, for me. There seems to be no other song around here with such a controversial standing. When blows that song to pieces and wipes it's ass with them. The last time this was done, The Moor won the whole thing, and I was dissapointed. I just don't get the whole thing with The Moor. It sounds clumsy as hell to me. Every song on Still Life is better (maybe not Serenity Painted Death), it seems some people just have a hard on for opening tracks.

Bah, alright, I'll stop. The real point of this thread was to see if people would redirect their griping to in here before the actual vote thread got out of hand. And the other point- DEMON OF THE FALL WINS. No matter what you say. :Spin:

Come on dude, people complaining about a silly forum poll is just sad. Who cares? Sure, I expected certain songs to be in the top 4 etc, but who cares? I got no problem with the songs that are there.

There is no need for a 2 page rant about it

Ikil

You don't know me guy, I can two page rant about anything. I'm not like most people on a forum, I don't get legitimately upset about this kind of stuff, I just thought it was really fucked up. It does kinda make me mad that so many people love The Moor to death, but other than that, I'm just doing it for the sake of debate, and there's nothing wrong with that. Positivity without negativity = not good. That's why arguing kicks ass, until it gets personal, then people are just being bitches. I know how forums go, trust me, I've been around em.

Yeah, it's sad that I woke up at 3:00 in the morning with nothing to do so I decied to be long winded and try to kill some time because I'm gonna be up for 21 hours. Happy?

Zivilyn said:
It got defeated by Ghost of Perdition?! That's just the thrill of having a NEW song, I think, and Ghost of Perdition isn't even the strongest example on Ghst Reveries I think. Whatever, if it beat any other song I'd let it slide, because that's understandable. Ghost of Perdition seems to me to be random Drop-D fodder that I've heard before. After 7-8 minutes, I grow tired of it. It got so far because it's the opener and it's fresh. That's another innaccuracy to me, hold this again in 3 years and Demon will RUIN that song.

Agree.

Zivilyn said:
DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE MOOR. Gah.. I said in another thread, When is in the top 15 Opeth songs, The Moor is in the bottom 15, for me. There seems to be no other song around here with such a controversial standing. When blows that song to pieces and wipes it's ass with them.

Totally agree. When - one of the best three Opeth songs ever.

Zivilyn said:
Bleak is better than The Drapery Falls? Uhh... What meeting did I miss? As far as I can remember, from day one, Drapery has been THE Blackwater Park song. Nothing against Bleak or anything, but I dunno... Maybe this is jst a taste issue. As much as I'll stand by my thought that Demon should be in the final four, the Bleak vs. Drapery debate is a lot less important. I just found it weird, so I thought I'd comment.

Nah...The Drapery Falls is just boring. Even more than the completely overrated Blackwater Park (better than April Ethereal? :tickled: ) and Harvest (How could this one be better than Karma?!? :err: )
The whole BWP record is overrated. Bleak kills any other song on it. :Spin:

Status
Not open for further replies.