circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Starflyer 59 – I Win EP
Self-Released – July 1st, 2006
By Jason Jordan

SF59-iwinep.jpg

Starflyer 59 return with the I Win EP, which serves as a prelude to My Island. Though we’re several months away from the September 2006 release of their 10th LP, and the great Talking Voice Vs. Singing Voice dropped just last year, new material from this long-running band is always a welcome addition to my fanboy-size collection.

Fronted by songwriter extraordinaire Jason Martin since their inception in 1993, Starflyer 59 coursed through the shoegazer vein until 1998’s The Fashion Focus marked a streamlined, rock-driven focus with an ‘80s vibe. Martin’s wispy, dreamy vocals have rarely veered from said approach since their debut, and the tradition continues on I Win. Only 11 minutes long, the EP houses a precursor to My Island in “I Win,” which is slated to appear on the forthcoming record, and is an upbeat, bouncy number that some will compare to material from Talking Voice Vs. Singing Voice, Old, or even Everybody Makes Mistakes. And while I miss Frank Lenz on the drums, his replacement does a fine job. Three out of the four songs are new, yet don’t/won’t grace anything but the EP. “White Fog” is a brief instrumental that reminds this reviewer of music often associated with the Southwestern United States, whereas “Family Line” is a short song laced with melancholy. Hearkening back to SF59 days gone by is “W.S. 2005,” which borrows numerous instruments and characteristics that have riddled their past efforts: piano melodies, synthesizer support, wavy guitars, tambourine, clapping, and repeated chorus lines.

Since this is an EP, however, and is available in limited quantities, it follows that I Win is primarily for Starflyer 59 aficionados gazing toward My Island with the expectation that it’ll be a solid record, like nearly all their other ones. Casual fans or those unacquainted with the Californian quintet are advised to check out their most recent outing instead of this minor-yet-worthwhile aside.

7/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Starflyer 59 Website