circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Starflyer 59 – My Island
Tooth & Nail Records – TND64004 – September 12th, 2006
By Jason Jordan

sf59myisland.gif

While Martin has utilized several different musicians over the years, SF59 haven’t faltered in the least, proving they’re capable of releasing high-grade pop rock that blends depressive, low-key vocals with music that is chipper, restrained, or a mixture of both depending on what the situation calls for. And of course, My Island is another record worth pursuing for long-time fans of this overlooked, underappreciated group.

Aside from the bizarre decision to revisit their shoegazer roots on I Am the Portuguese Blues (2004), Starflyer 59 have been settling into a defining sound that is manifested on works such as Old (2003), Talking Voice Vs. Singing Voice (2005), and this year’s My Island. Most of the responsibilities fall under Martin’s jurisdiction, and his dreamy vocals are not only unique, but one of the band’s trademarks. The bitter lyrical content is essential, too, so there’s naturally an abundance of two-liners that unintentionally invoke pity on the part of the listener:

“The Frontman”
I’m miserable, I’ve got my mind set / Most of all I think I’m through with it
What made you think you were one of them / Who’s gonna make it

“I Win”
So what am I supposed to say / My talent’s an acquired taste
Well that’s just what you say / When you’ve missed your train

“Ideas for the Talented”
My ideas they outweigh / All the talent I own

Including the songs mentioned above, “Nice Guy,” “My Island,” and “Lifeguard” also shine. Unfortunately, however, “Division,” “Mic the Mic,” “It’s Alright Blondie,” and “Pearl of Great Price” don’t sparkle, and are thus technically weaker than their counterparts. Starflyer 59 haven’t made a perfect batch to date, but even the numbers that leave something to be desired are not poor – they simply fail to dazzle. Nonetheless, the artwork is impressive, and in a shocking turn of events, we actually get the lyrics this time!

In the 13 years that Starflyer 59 have existed, mastermind Jason Martin has delivered a vast amount of albums that are incredibly consistent despite the band’s periodic, stylistic changes. My Island doesn’t exactly topple any of their previous entries, but it doesn’t pale in comparison either. I do prefer Old, though, and that fact probably won’t be changing anytime soon.

7.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Starflyer 59 Website
Official Tooth & Nail Records Website

Good review. Didn't even know they were still around. I've also always wondered whatever happened to Bon Voyage. Anyone know?

exbeast said:
Good review. Didn't even know they were still around. I've also always wondered whatever happened to Bon Voyage. Anyone know?

Thanks. I don't know about BV. I assumed after they released their second album they disbanded or went on hiatus. I haven't heard any news about them in years.

circus_brimstone said:
Thanks. I don't know about BV. I assumed after they released their second album they disbanded or went on hiatus. I haven't heard any news about them in years.

Ditto. Unfortunately, I don't have any other info either. If someone out there does, let us know!

Great review Circus_Brimstone!! To this day, "Americana" is still my favorite! I remember attending a free unplugged special event with SF59 at a bookstore with about 15 other people. I can't believe that was over a decade ago! o_O

btw, Ronnie's better.... :cool: