Steve Wilson Confirms: I am producing The New Opeth Album

Schism

Evacuate, Assemble here..
Jan 15, 2003
Mittagong, NSW Australia
Visit site
SW: Next year ' s going to be my year for doing other things – Opeth have asked me to produce their next record, which is going to be 2005, so maybe a no-man record in 2005 would be something I should put on my list as well, yeah. I still love making no-man records but this year is very much about Porcupine Tree because there's a new album to make and then all the touring and promotion attendant to that, so I am thinking that this year is pretty much wall-to-wall Tree.

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/reviews/review.asp?reviewnumber=18959790

This site reviews the new DVD-A DTS release of "In Absentia" (which I ordered today woohoo) there is also an excellent interview with Steve linked during the review

Happy Times :)

crimsonfloyd said:
Good! Although Deliverance and BWP have been for the most part subpar compared to other Opeth albums, the production has been phenominal.
I would say that Steve Wilson's touch has helped make the last three albums Opeths most exciting period yet, I love the ways they are branching out, and although some are going to disagree, I am excited at another reunion between two of the greatest musical forces in music today

Mikael has clearly said on the DVD that their next album is going to have some black metal leanings, so I'm excited to see how's it going to workout with Wilson on the helm, sounds like an exciting period for the band.

Im glad actually, i havent liked D1 or 2 much, but after seeing the making on the DVD i actually like them a whole lot better, and I like what Wilson has done in his contributions to the albums. And yes, the production is very VERY good in my opinion.

Schism said:
SW: Next year ' s going to be my year for doing other things – Opeth have asked me to produce their next record, which is going to be 2005, so maybe a no-man record in 2005 would be something I should put on my list as well, yeah. I still love making no-man records but this year is very much about Porcupine Tree because there's a new album to make and then all the touring and promotion attendant to that, so I am thinking that this year is pretty much wall-to-wall Tree.

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/reviews/review.asp?reviewnumber=18959790

This site reviews the new DVD-A DTS release of "In Absentia" (which I ordered today woohoo) there is also an excellent interview with Steve linked during the review

Happy Times :)
Let the bitching begin!

i dunno why everyone is pitching a bitch...i mean i say its what Opeth wants, Opeth should have it..i mean, its not YOUR music, its theirs and if they want Mr Wilson to do it then so be it and i wont complain since i have no beef with Wilson at all...it should be neato since Opeth may try new things with their music...More prog? or more brutality? hmmmm...
you guys must also remember, the producer doesnt WRITE the freakin music, ok!

Metallica went downhill with Bob Rock at the Helm
Opeth seems to do the same with Wilson....
Deliverance was boring and Blackwater park ok.
Believe it or not, Wilson wrote some parts for Blackwater Park.

I hope they set off a lot of time to write this album, not a rushed project like deliverance/damnation and keep Wilson out of the writing process!

Yeah it's Opeth's music and they can do what they like, but anybody still has the right to disagree with them and voice their opinions. Contributions to the message board or any Opeth conversation doesn't always have to be pro-Opeth.

With that in mind, i'm kinda disappointed, but at the same time i kinda don't give a shit. Steve Wilson has done great for the last three albums, but i was looking forward to hearing what somebody else might have in mind. Still, it will be interesting to hear what Steve does with what Mikael has said about this album.

I think this is one more risk Opeth are taking, a risk to disappoint older fans if they want to continue with the trend started off with BWP. Still, if they plan something new, harder, it'll be interesting to hear what comes out with Wilson at the production. no need to say, the last three records have got the best production. Period. If the music has become sort of "worse," don't blame the producer, but the creators, who explicitly said they hadn't taken their full preparation to go to the studio, and you can feel that in the lyrics as well as in the music. Time is very important now and, provided such good producer, should be taken to create fucking good music!

this is grave news as far as i'm concerned. as i have said before, I don't expect anyone to share my opinion but I really think Opeth should move on. steve wilson is not the right person to be producing a supposedly heavy album.
Let us remember that it was the genius of ex-sabbat guitarist Andy Sneap that brought us the fantastic production heared on Deliverance. In my opinion Blackwater Park's production is muddy, unclear and ultimatly inconsistant.

The new album should be handed to the genius that is Mr. Sneap. The Band never faulted without Wilson so why do they feel they need to rely on him now?

I'd like mike to reply to this topic if he reads it.

I do admit that Deliverance was not my favorite album by them but the production was really great. And I don't think that Steven wrote any parts for that album. Even if he did contribute to some parts of BWP, I think that is a great frikkin album. Not only the production. It may be my favorite next to Still Life even...

How can you say the new shit isn't good. Opeth= 7 fn masterpieces. They can create orchid part 2, or bwp part 2, or do something entirely different. It will still kick ass. Leave steve wilson alone of the Metal God's shall forsake thee.