Virgin Steele for PP Damnit!

DAVETHEMETALGUY said:
guys..i bet you will NEVER see VS at progpower, check out some old threads...
:lol: that prediction did not work out so well

Some people.. or maybe only Chris (I guess that's him) is going to the Cheetah's (or however you call that place) earlier next year
LMAOOO
(not that I care, but..)
=x

Oh well... more space for us during their set ahhahaha ;)
:kickass:

IceQueen_ said:
Some people.. or maybe only Chris (I guess that's him) is going to the Cheetah's (or however you call that place) earlier next year

Haven't you figured it out yet? Cheetah is the only reason Chris comes to ProgPower. :lol:

booB said:
Haven't you figured it out yet? Cheetah is the only reason Chris comes to ProgPower. :lol:

I am totally convinced you are correct, it is the only thing that guy talks about. Might as well just stayhome and go to one of those really redneck strip clubs with the toothless strippers or are those at Cheetahs too.

Dolamite S. Biffle said:
I am totally convinced you are correct, it is the only thing that guy talks about. Might as well just stayhome and go to one of those really redneck strip clubs with the toothless strippers or are those at Cheetahs too.

:lol: :lol:

I just loved everything you said on this post
:kickass: ahahahha

booB said:
Personally, I definitely think they are headliner caliber, but I can't help thinking they'd suffer from the Rage Effect

I agree with all of your points, Bob. I'm a pretty big fan of VS, in at least a small part thanks to Glenn. (I think it was Sean or Blaine who sent me that first compilation tape, complete with then only-on-vinyl stuff from earlier albums, then Glenn sent me a tape of HoA1.) For years Glenn has tried and tried to get VS for PPUSA, but there wasn't ever any reply to his inquiries, which of course never made sense. Hopefully that'll be a good question for the interview to accompany the PPVIII program!

When I read that the third band was announced and cruised over to the progpowerusa.com site to check it out, I had to do a double take. Then my jaw dropped open for about a minute. Of course they are one of the few bands I've always dreamed of seeing but have NEVER had even a chance to. For me they rank up there with Savatage as one of the classic American metal bands that has recorded for years and years. It's practically criminal that they are even less known here in the US than the 'Tage.

I think their association with Manowar really picked up with Invictus, when David started singing so similar to Eric Adams' Kings of Metal-onward vocal approach. Still, they had similar origins, similar inspirations, but obviously VS is far more classy, far smarter, at least in a compositional sense. Anyway, there are so many timeless VS songs, and this festival appearance should definitely be a 'best of' approach.

The new album seems a bit controversial. I for one definitely like it, especially since David has stopped sounding so much like Eric, and the project is more original. The production is fairly lacking, ESPECIALLY the piss-poor weak, fake drum sounds (most likely triggered or v-drums). Just listen to that abysmal hi-hat! The guitars are also fairly weak, which was a problem for the HoA albums as well. Keys and vox sound great, as alway, though also as always some of the keyboard patches seem poorly chosen/weak.

I wouldn't mind hearing a song or two from Visions of Eden, especially the very diverse "Black Light on Black," but really we need the best stuff: "The Fall of Rome (Cry for Pompeii)," "Emalaith," "Sword of the Gods," "Noble Savage," "Blood and Gasoline," etc. etc. etc. There are tons of great classic VS songs. Only an hour to play makes choosing from them pretty hard, especially as so many are longer. I wish they had a longer slot but I totally understand why they don't. Hopefully, even this late in their career, they can pick up a lot of new fans. Everyone who likes the band and has seen them live says they are an outstanding live act.

First Redemption, now VS. This is turning into the ProgPower of my dreams. :p Of course something will come along and make it more real, maybe Symphorce or some crap like that. ;)
Now and Forever,
lmjh

If we could get a set of "Classic" Virgin Steele songs then it would rule, but any more than 2 songs off the new cd will cause me to head to the vendor room

I must admit that I had no idea who VS was prior to this forum. I know they sound like MANOWAR and I am a huge MANOWAR fan. My question is, have they copied MANOWAR or did MANOWAR copy them?

The dude even does the MANOWAR pose with the hail sign.

86eb65da.jpg

They're really not terribly similiar to Manowar, maybe a little in attitude, but to be honest I don't see a huge similiarity in the music, but everyone's welcome to their own opinion.

Chris Rifkin(HalcyonF5 and Stu said:
I guess you were not here when Rage headlined
The place emptied,and fast,

OK, OK...we get it...the place emptied...this has been well documented.

Rage still kicked ass...and I know there's gotta be someone out there that also remembers this...?

Rock on!