Workout Music Thread

The last earthquake I was freaking out thinking my legs were involuntarily quivering where I was sitting, then facebook informed me of the news as it usually does.

@ensi, i run in shoes with arch support, some people shouldn't.

I read Henry Rollins enjoys lifting to the sound of ballads. I want to try this at least, but, what fucken ballads from the 18th century could he possibly be listening to????

Henry Rollins is a bad motherfucker. Don't like his music but everything else about him is fucking pretty epic. Read a little about the guy, he's done everything in life. Even been on Unsolved Mysteries ffs.

Henry Rollins is a bad motherfucker. Don't like his music but everything else about him is fucking pretty epic. Read a little about the guy, he's done everything in life. Even been on Unsolved Mysteries ffs.

fuck yeah Joe :lol: at least once i agree with you... Henry is a major inspiration in my life

not to highjack the thread, but i'd like to tone up my abdomen, but not lose my waist :/ any help? i've doen some googling, but all info comes from waistless people :/

in fact, the lesser waist-size, the better ^_^. i'd like to lose about a small 3cm in my waist and preferably 2 cm on my hips. i'm aiming for 90-60-90 shape :D

then why are all of the youtube videos of women working out turn out to be rectangular? :cry:

I've never seen working out turn a woman rectangular. If you don't want lots of muscle, don't worry... you won't achieve it. Even if you want it, you probably won't :p You think with all the testosterone-filled males out there busting their asses to the fullest extent to gain muscle, an estrogen-filled creature such as yourself is going to wake up one morning looking rectangular? :lol: Muscle shape is determined by genetics. Muscle size and fat abundance is not.

As the fags said, your most focused area should be diet. As for working out, I'd suggest Complexes and HIIT (google them). As a whole they are much more effective than steady state cardio/running (which I personally hate doing anyway). Oh, and if you're gonna lift weights, don't use a light ass weight just do you can do 20+ reps. Despite what people seem to think, heavy lifting is key (yes,even for girls) when wanting to lose fat. In fact even morso than when you are trying to gain muscle.

Oh, and, if and when doing ab work, keep it heavy enough that you're still within an 8-12 rep range for the most part, like any other muscle in your body.

I lift barefoot and run barefoot -- unless I'm running through an Elven forest, which in that case I'll wear shoes because my soles are not as epic as Frodo's.

All you need to do to get a thinner waist is to diet and do cardio. Forget about sit ups or crunches, there is no need for those.

And HIIT is usually too much for a beginner.

Definitely.

x600.jpg

Keeping your heart rate at 60%-80% of your max HR for an hour is way fucking better for your cardiovascular system and calorie burning than 12 minutes of HIIT. Jesus Christ, read some recent studies. HIIT is a good tool to help overcome plateaus and help build up your cardio to new levels... but the "after burn" that everyone cums about isn't that significant and does not warrant the statement "OMG HIIT IS BETTER." Obviously LISS isn't that good, but low intensity is bullshit anyways (unless you are old or sick). Basically if you are doing an exercise and you perceive/rate it inbetween 7-9 on a 1-10 difficulty scale (not being a lazy fuck but actually feel it) then you're probably doing it right.

No one here is an expert and everyone is just regurgitating shit they've read; so let's not kid ourselves here. But as someone who has done HIIT and steady state cardio, I can tell you I PREFER longer cardio sessions because they are more fun, more challenging and building up my endurance. The same can be said about HIIT, but if you can't even do an hour of cardio you obviously aren't fit enoguh to do HIIT right anyways so it defeats the whole fucking purpose if you're just doing 12 mins.

TL;DR: Do whatever the fuck you feel works best for you, the important thing is that you do it.

Keeping your heart rate at 60%-80% of your max HR for an hour is way fucking better for your cardiovascular system and calorie burning than 12 minutes of HIIT.

Calorie burning is not the issue. What I'm talking about is fat-burning efficiency and increased nutrient partitioning. Obviously you'll burn more calories doing more work, but for someone wanting to look lean and not just skinnyfat, you'll want to preserve/gain muscle. Doing long drawn out cardio typically can have negative effects on one's muscle, especially when people don't get the right pre/post nutrition, which most people don't.

But with a shorter more intense sessions, you're at less of a risk of muscles entering a catabolic state due to increased rest times but increased levels of work times as well.

No one here is an expert and everyone is just regurgitating shit they've read; so let's not kid ourselves here.

Nah, not really. I'm largely going off of logic here, rather than simply words I've read. HIIT is to SS cardio as heavy lifting is to light lifting. When you are trying to lose fat, the most important thing about your training is that you must give your body a reason to keep its muscle (unless you don't care what your muscle to fat ratio is and you simply want to weigh less on the scale), otherwise you're just as likely to lose muscle as you are fat (also depending on diet). Muscles are not preserved/gained by longass repetitive sessions of work. It's heavy lifting/exertion that causes this. Successful distance runners have very little muscle on their body because running long distances equates to less Force simply endured for a long period of time. Force = mass x acceleration. Mass is a factor in generating a lot of force, and your body will adapt to that when performing high-force/intensity training (whether you're simply wanting to preserve your muscle or wanting to gain more muscle). To run (or bike, swim, jump rope, however you want to do it) VERY FAST requires muscle to exert large force (mass x acceleration).

But as someone who has done HIIT and steady state cardio, I can tell you I PREFER longer cardio sessions because they are more fun, more challenging and building up my endurance.

It's logical that anyone else (who isn't a dingleberry) arguing about this has done both HIIT and SS as well. However, good for you that you enjoy it more.

...if you can't even do an hour of cardio you obviously aren't fit enoguh to do HIIT right anyways so it defeats the whole fucking purpose if you're just doing 12 mins.

That is not true. Some people are built (different amounts of fast/slow-twitch muscle fibres) slightly different, and accel in different athletic aspects. Also, due to differences in focus of training, one will be better at HIIT, the other will be better at SS/endurance. There is obviously crossover, but if you want to do HIIT you should do HIIT, not start with SS then graduate to HIIT.

And doing a low amount of training volume is not an issue because diet is what generates how much weight you gain/lose. Training is just your way of making that gained weight = muscle, and that lost weight = fat. So, effective training =/= what exercise burns more calories, but what exercise increases nutrient partitioning and preserves/grows muscles the most.

Nah, not really. I'm largely going off of logic here, rather than simply words I've read. HIIT is to SS cardio as heavy lifting is to light lifting. When you are trying to lose fat, the most important thing about your training is that you must give your body a reason to keep its muscle (unless you don't care what your muscle to fat ratio is and you simply want to weigh less on the scale), otherwise you're just as likely to lose muscle as you are fat (also depending on diet). Muscles are not preserved/gained by longass repetitive sessions of work. It's heavy lifting/exertion that causes this. Successful distance runners have very little muscle on their body because running long distances equates to less Force simply endured for a long period of time. Force = mass x acceleration. Mass is a factor in generating a lot of force, and your body will adapt to that when performing high-force/intensity training (whether you're simply wanting to preserve your muscle or wanting to gain more muscle). To run (or bike, swim, jump rope, however you want to do it) VERY FAST requires muscle to exert large force (mass x acceleration).

I'm not trying to be a dick, but a lot of your logic is wrong.
And no, heavy lifting does not equal to muscle gain. The amount of weight you lift has very little to do with your gains, it's what you do with that weight. Some people respond better to higher reps, and some respond well to lower reps and heavier weights. Whatever stimulates your muscles the most is what will make them grow.

You know what the funny thing is, eveningninja is on my ignore list, I just was clicking the "read this post" button... but now I remember why he was on in the first place.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but a lot of your logic is wrong.
And no, heavy lifting does not equal to muscle gain. The amount of weight you lift has very little to do with your gains, it's what you do with that weight. Some people respond better to higher reps, and some respond well to lower reps and heavier weights. Whatever stimulates your muscles the most is what will make them grow.

Indeed, we do have different bodies. There's more to it though than "stimulating it more" or "stimulating it less." There are different levels and thresholds (whether the CNS is involved heavily or not) that come into play when more or less weight is used. And because of that, different phases of %-weight used help with different aspects/goals of training/growth. But most people I've come across do not venture far enough into heavy lifting to really maximize their potential.

'twould be a sad world if you couldn't give your view without trying to be a dick. Some are, some aren't. It doesn't really matter on an internet forum.

You know what the funny thing is, eveningninja is on my ignore list, I just was clicking the "read this post" button... but now I remember why he was on in the first place.

Yeah hes not on ignore but I didn't touch all that garbage.

Anyway, HIIT will burn more calories in the time you are doing it, but you will push yourself too hard and only be able to do 20 minutes for beginners.

If you're fat and trying to lose weight, burning more calories is important. 200 calories from fat through HIIT is shit compare to 500-600 burnined through other cardio. If you have a low BF% then HIIT may be better since it can potentially burn more calories from fat but what chinky mcfuckface failed to note is that you're always gonna lose muscle when cutting. He's acting like doing an hour of cardio is gonna make your muscles fall off and burn hardly any fat. Whether the calories come from carbs or fat, the fat will be used up anyways in an after effect of the exercise. The whole game is to lose as much fat as possible, but you will lose some muscle too. As long as you eat properly and work out smart you can limit how much muscle you lose. And also to mention the muscle you breakdown will be built back up (and a little more) as long as you eat enough protein and incorporate a weight lifting routine.

All I said applies ot fatties and beginners btw. And I only say it not because I read it and believed but because I have practiced it and gotten results.

If you're fat and trying to lose weight, burning more calories is important. 200 calories from fat through HIIT is shit compare to 500-600 burnined through other cardio. If you have a low BF% then HIIT may be better since it can potentially burn more calories from fat but what chinky mcfuckface failed to note is that you're always gonna lose muscle when cutting. He's acting like doing an hour of cardio is gonna make your muscles fall off and burn hardly any fat. Whether the calories come from carbs or fat, the fat will be used up anyways in an after effect of the exercise. The whole game is to lose as much fat as possible, but you will lose some muscle too. As long as you eat properly and work out smart you can limit how much muscle you lose. And also to mention the muscle you breakdown will be built back up (and a little more) as long as you eat enough protein and incorporate a weight lifting routine.

All I said applies ot fatties and beginners btw. And I only say it not because I read it and believed but because I have practiced it and gotten results.

This is true.

I wanna add something to that. It's important to go into a low carb diet slowly. For example when I started cutting (I stopped a few weeks ago) my diet contained 3 carb meals. First one was rice and an apple, second was bread and an apple and the third one was maltodextrin about 30 mins - an hour before my afternoon workout. I dropped the maltodextrin after about 3 weeks, then dropped the bread after another 2-3 weeks, then the rice. By then I the only carb intake I had was an apple with my first meal after my morning workout and anything I had on my cheat day :p

The reason why most people don't stick to their diets is because they go straight into it and stop eating carbs altogether and find out how hard it is to stick to a strict diet. But if you go into it slowly you won't even care that you're not having carbs or any delicious food :lol:

Also, dude, change your sig :lol: