Your Favorite Genre of Metal?

Matt

Dec 10, 2005
Saint Louis
I was wondering what other genre was you guy's favorites. I myself prefer black metal first, then prog, power/symphonic metal, and followed by death.

and give reasons.

and I forgot balck metal orchestra, prog death, and doom, followed by some viking metal.

Progressive death metal!

It combines the best of both worlds imo. I'm tired of ALL singing in groups, so I say why not put some mindless death growling in there?

A close second would be technical death metal, it's like progressive metal, but all death metal vocals. Very unique and hard to replicate.

Third would be brutal death metal, fourth would be prog metal, and fifth would be classic metal. (I.E. Iron Maiden)

Black metal should be there on the list... somewhere.

Plain ol' Heavy Metal(trad,old school) for me. Probably followed by thrash. I find these two genres the most consistent with an abundance of high quality bands. Then i guess i'm into a little bit of most other genres. Prog, Death, Black, Power and Doom. I don't get into any new school brutal death, grind, industrial, super lo fi black metal etc

Montu Sekhmet said:
yep, like Opeth. But i havent seen very many of those around.
Try Orphaned Land, Disillusion and Into Eternity.

I like variation which is probably why I listen to a lot of the "progressive genre", so after that I listen to a lot of different stuff. Power, death, heavy, it's all good.

Although I don't find myself listening to many of the staples of the genre, I have to say the bigger chunk of my favorite bands are powermetal (Rage, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Iron Savior), followed by progmetal (Symphony X, Freak Kitchen, Dream Theater) and then probably thrash metal (Children of Bodom, Kreator, Testament, Destruction). I have a really big soft spot in my heart for progressive rock too, as thats what I was brought up listening to (Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Rush, Yes, ELP).

Right now, black metal and brutal/tech death are at the top of my playlist. Immortal, Satyricon (old on both counts), emperor, Leviathan, and the california death metal scene (decrepit birth, severed saviour, Deeds of Flesh, etc. etc.). After that, i'd go thrash and other forms of death/symphonic black metal. I almost never listen to prog or power anymore... so meh.

I can't get enough of Progressive Metal, bands like Pain of Salvation, Symphony X, Evergrey, Vanden Plas, and I find new ones all the time that are addicting!

Next would be anything else progressive such as prog-death/technical death.

Then heavy/thrash metal, classical, jazz

I know some prog bands are influenced power metal, but I have a hard time listening to straight up power metal lol. It's probably the happy happy melodies. I need my music to be dark and dramatic!

Brutal Death metal (Decrepit Birth, Suffocation, Disgorge, Psycroptic etc etc etc.) and black and progressive metal together (so thats like, Dream Theater, Darkthrone, Burzum, Opeth, Symphony X etc.)

and thrash..... and... power.... arg its too hard to really decide I love them all equally really.

I would say your melodeath for me these days.. opeth, scar symmetry, eternal tears of sorrow, edge of sanity, amon amarth, arch enemy, children of bodom (some of those, like COB, might not be really classified as such but its all kind of in there). I like prog-death but aside from stuff like into eternity, I dont know too much (always willing to find more if anyones got suggestions). I've started getting into stuff like Ensiferum too - folk metal?.. thats still in process though, need to get a bit more, but I like it coz it combines the sort of uplifting power metal music feel with death vox - thats always cool. I've gone weird, I cant really listen to straight out clean vocals either anymore.. I get bored.. yet at the same time the REALLY heavy stuff I still cant get into coz I get a headache. Good gutteral grows, awesome guitar solos, and a nice melodic vibe is what I prefer..

I still cant get much into the power metal, and I dont like most prog metal thats out there because I find it unoriginal and uninspired.. mostly just Symphony X wannabes - however when the rare good band comes along I fall in love with it too. The genre I still love.. just most of what fills it up I dont.

SilentRealm said:
I still cant get much into the power metal, and I dont like most prog metal thats out there because I find it unoriginal and uninspired.. mostly just Symphony X wannabes - however when the rare good band comes along I fall in love with it too. The genre I still love.. just most of what fills it up I dont.

Same here. It seems most people put Gamma Ray, Edguy, & all that speed metal crap (sorry guys I really can't stand these bands) and Symphony X in the same category. They have nothing in common except some double bass drumming !! The songwriting in most speed metal bands is so basic it's a shame.

To stay in the topic, I'll say sophisticated black metal.... :loco: I mean bands like Ram-Zet, Enslaved, Borknagar, Dimmu Borgir, Arcturus, Solefald, Opeth... Some of these bands started doing raw (and boring IMO) black or death metal and then added some other elements in it, which made each of these bands quite unique.

Prog rock from 70's to nowadays : Ange, Camel, King Crimson, Marillion, Arena, IQ... I like how these bands can sound heavy while not using the prog "metal" gimmicks (no double bass or very few, no growls at all, no super speed solo, etc). The atmospheres crafted by Camel on the "Mirage" album are a good example. Listen to KC's "The Power to Believe" if you wanna hear how powerful and dark can a prog rock band sound !!

Prog metal obviously, even though most prog metal bands really aren't as interesting musically as some of the old prog rock bands (see above). Dream Theater, SyX, Adagio, Vanden Plas... I put Angra in that category for the same reason as SyX (see beginning of this boring post)

And some jazz fusion :p mainly Mats & Morgan (Morgan is the legendary drummer Morgan Agren, who plays some absolutely insane stuff with Fredrik Thordenthal from Meshuggah), Tribal Tech, some older Herbie Hancock stuff...

Some thrash and heavy metal, but it really depends on the band... Testament, Loudblast, Iron Maiden...

And some weird stuff like Ozric Tentacles, Mr Bungle :zombie:

SilentRealm said:
I like prog-death but aside from stuff like into eternity, I dont know too much (always willing to find more if anyones got suggestions).
The ones I mentioned above, Orphaned Land and Disillusion are very good. Orphaned Land's Mabool and Disillusion's Back To Times of Splendor are the ones to look for.

Don't Opeth and Edge of Sanity count as prog death?

I like progressive metal, power metal, thrash metal, folk metal, viking metal, and instrumental death metal. Black metal is hard for me to listen to because not only does it put me to sleep, the production is awful. I don't like growls. I find they mess up the music in death metal, which is why I like it when it's instrumental. I like my vocals somewhere between the extremes of girly men and cookie monster. I hate grind; every time I try to give a song a chance I just end up wanting my 30 seconds back.

Beelzebub said:
I like progressive metal, power metal, thrash metal, folk metal, viking metal, and instrumental death metal. Black metal is hard for me to listen to because not only does it put me to sleep, the production is awful. I don't like growls. I find they mess up the music in death metal, which is why I like it when it's instrumental. I like my vocals somewhere between the extremes of girly men and cookie monster. I hate grind; every time I try to give a song a chance I just end up wanting my 30 seconds back.
hehe instrumental death. Sorry if it seems like I'm pushing the prog death agenda, but it was those specific albums I recommended earlier that changed my attitude to growls, and now I can see the good bits in almost any death metal. Not so much with grind though. If you do decide to give them a chance, please listen to them in their entirety.

Heavy metal.

Prog and power would be second I guess. A lot of bands have such a cookie-cutter sound that it takes me a while to find anything original and good. I don't like death vocals either though In Flames up to Clayman was real awesome. Thrash is pretty good too.

Logruss said:
To stay in the topic, I'll say sophisticated black metal.... :loco: I mean bands like Ram-Zet, Enslaved, Borknagar, Dimmu Borgir, Arcturus, Solefald, Opeth... Some of these bands started doing raw (and boring IMO) black or death metal and then added some other elements in it, which made each of these bands quite unique.
I really don't think Opeth is... or was black metal. Even their first two albums significantly pushed the boundaries of that genre. It was more like melodic death metal back then, and then they changed to progressive death. :erk:

Ret- said:
YUSS Edge of Sanity RULES.
Definitely!