Blu-Ray Options

spioraid

Fancy a pint? Or two?
May 8, 2008
Centreville, VA
Fellas,

I'm looking at getting a Blu-Ray platform in the near future, but I have a few prerequisites before I ask for recommendations.

1) 1920 x 1080 progressive scan is a must. I do video work for a living, so when I hear HD I automatically think 1920p and anything less seems cheap to me. Spoiled, I know.

2) Mac/PC support. Whether I use an adapter or not, I would need to have the capability to play the disc on my desktop. Willing to buy software if needed, but I've got enough software on both my Mac and PC OSs' to handle everything from what I've researched.

3) Obviously as cheap as possible. I know it's a sliding scale but unfortunately I can't walk into this with a bottomless budget.

I've heard the PS3s are the best by far for what you get, but I really have no need for anything aside from a BD-R player.

Thanks! :headbang:

PS3 is the best Blu Ray you can get , and also the cheapest. But for what you want you would be better off with a PC Blu Ray disk drive, that way you can burn them too.

PS3 is the best Blu Ray you can get , and also the cheapest. But for what you want you would be better off with a PC Blu Ray disk drive, that way you can burn them too.

Highly rated LG blu ray burner, £135.

PS3 has been known to have problems with motion when it comes to Blu-Ray, I would recommend the Sony BDP-S360 over the PS3, currently going for £115 in store at Richer Sounds with a 5 year warranty.

Review here when it was £240.
http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Sony-BDP-S360/

Richer Sounds link.
http://www.froogle.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/sony/bdps360/sony-bdps360-r2

This is if you're looking for a standalone player, otherwise the LG that Kev mentioned is probably a good bet for an internal PC drive.

Macs cannot play Bluray. You have to run Windows in Parallels/Boot Camp if you want to do so.

A couple different software apps have been released that allow BD-R playback in Leopard/Snow Leopard. Further still, I still have Win 7 Ultimate in Boot Camp. Thanks.

A couple different software apps have been released that allow BD-R playback in Leopard/Snow Leopard. Further still, I still have Win 7 Ultimate in Boot Camp. Thanks.

Really? What are they? Links? I've wanted to get a drive for a while but didn't because I thought they were still unable to