Headphones or Monitors?

jaredistheman

Feb 16, 2010
Memphis, Tn
I got a $50 guitar center gift card from my uncle in the mail and i'm trying to decide what to spend it on. Do i go for some nice headphones? Or put it towards some monitors? Which would be the most conducive for mixing purposes?

i would have to say mixing with monitors would be the most beneficial

i feel like im not hearing everything i should be when im mixing with headphones, maybe im just crazyy?

Generally, monitors are more useful, but if your room is terrible, you may be better off with a good pair of headphones that you learn really well.

I'm constantly going between them to catch out characteristics of each that may effect the mix on different equipment. I tend to get ear fatigue from headphones so I'd get some monitors first.

Headphones have their uses but they trick you into thinking you have more stereo and frequency seperation than you really do

I don't know about that (correct me if I'm wrong)...but to me, I think headphones would have a more balanced stereo image. Because all headphones are spaced the same, which is to your head. lol. Which is why I think they're great for reference. Monitors can smear the stereo image if they are not spaced correctly which can be damaging to a mix.

But monitors with good treatment and good placement are the best solution.

I don't know about that (correct me if I'm wrong)...but to me, I think headphones would have a more balanced stereo image. Because all headphones are spaced the same, which is to your head. lol. Which is why I think they're great for reference. Monitors can smear the stereo image if they are not spaced correctly which can be damaging to a mix.

But monitors with good treatment and good placement are the best solution.

Headphones do give you a reliable stereo image. However, they also give you an extreme stereo image. This means that you get things sounding nice and clear in phones, you can suddenly find yourself in BIG trouble translating to speakers, wheras the other way around the worst you risk is the mix being over seperated. Myself i'd always go for overseperated over underseperated.

Headphones do give you a reliable stereo image. However, they also give you an extreme stereo image. This means that you get things sounding nice and clear in phones, you can suddenly find yourself in BIG trouble translating to speakers, wheras the other way around the worst you risk is the mix being over seperated. Myself i'd always go for overseperated over underseperated.

I do agree with you on that. But that's why I think it's important to get familiar with the monitors or headphones that your using. Cause I think underseperated mixes can happen on both if your not familiar with how a mix is suppose to sound on them in the first place.

But I do like getting a good mix going on monitors and then use a very good pair of headphones to do deep editing with (noise, etc.). Most people nowadays listen to music on headphones or car speakers and not on a expensive set of monitors in a acoustically controlled room. So I think they're great for referencing just like the good ol car test is lol..as long as you know how they sound of course. Just my 2 cents though of course :kickass:

But to the OP. Buy a good set of monitors first. Then focus on room correction. Then get a good pair of non hyped headphones (flat response) for referencing and deep track editing.