How about we do something like this as a sticky/subforum?

smy1

Apr 8, 2006
Hamburg, Germany
www.faderhead.com
I've been thinking about the structure of the forum today and I think the FAQs and other knowledge that is needed/requested/talked about repeatedly are a little unorganized.

How about a general sub-forum called FAQs which is then subdivided into stuff like:

- Andy Sneap
- Recording
- Mixing
- Mastering
- Equipment/Software
- Samples
- etc.

It shouldn't be too hard to implement and it may make it easier to find things for new and old users? Also things like JBroll's Tubescreamer FAQ or threads like the Clayman or How To Record Drums Threads would have a proper home ...

What do you think?

Personally I think we have plenty of subforums already. I think that what you are describing would be better as a closed sticky or wiki IMO.
Let's face it....many posters still have trouble correctly using the subforums we already have. I get bored with the same questions over and over again, but often times it is more an issue of operator error than a failure of the system (this sentence could also be read as: Please use the search function and don't bitch out if nothing comes up the first time).

Yupp, I agree, maybe we could start and re-organize the subforum-structure like this:

Samples, which again has subforums:

Cab Impulses Guitar/Bass
EQ-files / Presets
Drum samples (from Andy and others)

Chimaira tom samples goes into => Drum Samples
THE NEW Sneap Forum FTP!! => Sneap Forum FTP
The Andy Sneap Forum FTP! => delete
The Reamp Collaboration Thread
Who's Who => Useful Links / FAQ
Andy on air with Bruce Dickinson (why is this sticky anyways?)
Sub-Forums and Postings could be put under Annoucement for this forum.

Just an idea.

@egan: I think the problem lies in having *too many* different stickies. If all the info would be in one place, it'd be much easier to find it ...
I agree with that...only disagree with the implementation. The most important thing is that it be right up front and useable.....what about a single FAQ sticky with links like this?

I personally feel like tons of subforums make browsing harder and less fun.

Useless... People will still post in the wrong subforums (including old members) and won't be able to use the search function all the same... :(

isn't there perhaps the possibility to change the searchfuncttion instead?
I mean there are like 12gazilion words that are probably among the 12gazillionand14 top searches (or rather WOULD be) but can't be searched cause of this 4letter minimum fuckery

(ESP, EMG, RME, API, MTS, VHT, AKG, etc)

bad idea, its easy enough to find stuff, I think I may be alone with the fact that I havent had much trouble actually getting usefull results with the search function, and when I get bored with mundane posts about stuff thats allready been discussed I just go back to the oldest posts on the forum and catch up on the years I wasnt hanging around here, lots of really cool info, just my two cents

I mean there are like 12gazilion words that are probably among the 12gazillionand14 top searches (or rather WOULD be) but can't be searched cause of this 4letter minimum fuckery

Yeah, the search function is a real bitch! I use Google for searching those short terms:

ESP site:http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment-414/

Still far from being perfect, but it works for older threads...

I agree for the 4 letter thing, but this is upon Ultimate Metal's decision. There must have been a reason for this but I don't know it...