It was NOT worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EndlessWhore

Mar 8, 2004
God, I have been so disappointed at COB's last 2 albums, even though AYDY has some decent stuff on it, it just doesn't have what it takes to make me listen to it over and over again, unlike the big 3.

I just got done listening to "Was it Worth it" on youtube, and damn what a disappointing song. Just the same simplistic crap as on Blooddrunk with a lazy solo in it. Everything is whammy bar trickery these days without great sections that make you go "wow". What happened to masterpiece solos such as "Silent Night Bodom Night" and "Kissing the Shadows".

I mean I have stuck around with Bodom for such a long time because I know deep down Alexi still has his brilliance inside of him, but I think I might have to call it quits. You go to their concerts now and it's not necessarily people that love great music but more kids who think they are hardcore.

I don't say this because I am some kind of "hater", but because I love Alexi for how he has expanded my love of music. Hopefully the rest of the album will have some stuff on it that can reel me back in, but based on this song, it seems unlikely.

Old Bodom vs. New Bodom again? Long time ago since we had this discussion :lol:

But to be serious... wouldn't it be a bit boring if Alexi would make a new HB or FTR over and over again? IMHO, HB and FTR were top notch but if the following albums were really another kind of HB or FTR I won't listen to Bodom anymore.

@EndlessWhore Yeah I feel the same way. This album will be downloaded first :lol: if I don't like it, I'm just not gonna buy it :lol:

Single opinion doesent deserve thread of its own -.-
Theres already bunch of threads about this issue...

Single opinion doesent deserve thread of its own -.-
Theres already bunch of threads about this issue...

It's a discussion forum, you will get used to it. That's not even as much as when I joined the forum. There used to be up to 4-5 threads a day about different things that were already out there. And now it's just bumping old stuff. And btw, I share the same opinion as OP :loco:

But to be serious... wouldn't it be a bit boring if Alexi would make a new HB or FTR over and over again? IMHO, HB and FTR were top notch but if the following albums were really another kind of HB or FTR I won't listen to Bodom anymore.

I never really got where this argument comes from. You can't write the same album again, just like you can't step into the same river twice. So I don't see how a style change is necessary to make a band interesting. It's possible to maintain a style without being repetitive. The bigger problem is that a radical style change is difficult to do properly, and it hasn't fared well for Bodom.

But yes, I more or less agree with OP, except that I probably wouldn't put SNBN or KTS as the pinnacle of their work...

I never really got where this argument comes from. You can't write the same album again, just like you can't step into the same river twice. So I don't see how a style change is necessary to make a band interesting. It's possible to maintain a style without being repetitive. The bigger problem is that a radical style change is difficult to do properly, and it hasn't fared well for Bodom.

For once I agree with you.

Oh come on, they're going Mainstream. They have to stick to guidelines. Besides, they don't have Anssi Kippo anymore. Matt Hyde probably pushed them down a new path. On top of that, Alexi said this doesn't have the usual Bodom sound.... This is a "party song". I think it' s awesome. The solo reminds me of Triple Corpse Hammerblow from HCDR. So love it or hate it, I think it's awesome.

I agree, though I'd say Bodom have changed pretty significantly album to album and done well with it. It's only the change to "Blooddrunk" and now to "Was It Worth It?" that has truly disappointed me. I place "Hatebreeder" at the pinnacle of Bodom's achievement but I don't begrudge the changes to e.g. "Follow The Reaper" or even to "Are You Dead Yet?" because I still enjoyed those albums.
I'd be embarrassed to have written "Was It Worth It?" and I hate that they've released it as a single because you already get enough shit from people when you say Bodom are your favourite band without them being associated with this puddle of feculent arse gravy.

But yes, I more or less agree with OP, except that I probably wouldn't put SNBN or KTS as the pinnacle of their work...

I mean SNBN and Kissing the Shadows are brilliant solos, but I would like to reel off all of the great COB solos.

I love the two Deadnight warrior solos, Red Light in My Eyes part 1 solos, The Nail Outro Solo (The middle of The Nail being my favorite Bodom part of all time), Touch Like Angel of Death, SNBN, Hatebreeder Outro, Bed of Razors, TDE, end of Black Widow, COB, Downfall, FTR, Bodom After Midnight, Decadence, ETID, Hate Me is decent but not the best ever, And KTS is the culmination of Alexi's greatness.

One underrated Solo from AYDY is Next in Line, I love that solo, it's bada*s.

I don't say this to be some kind of know it all jerkoff, but to show you guys that I love Alexi's work and I'm just bummed that he hasn't kept up with what I believe is par for the course.

Not to mention all the great solo's he has come up with in Sinergy.

Another thing that a previous poster mentioned about them going mainstream. It doesn't give me a lot of hope that less interesting more intermediate music is what is mainstream.

Maybe minus the vocals, I don't understand how early Bodom could NOT be mainstream. It is brilliant.

Another thing that a previous poster mentioned about them going mainstream. It doesn't give me a lot of hope that less interesting more intermediate music is what is mainstream.

Maybe minus the vocals, I don't understand how early Bodom could NOT be mainstream. It is brilliant.

I agree I don't understand how the freakin catchyness of their early stuff isn't mainstream lol

I was actually gonna ask something similar but I was wondering how they've gone mainstream? Simply because they have become more popular or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.