Mixing/Mastering From A Laptop with Ipod Headphones (for fun)

brianhood

No Care Ever
Hey guys, I recently went through the hassle of downloading/installing pro tools 10 and all my plugins on my laptop just for a fun portable rig to do bullshit editing work remotely.

I'm currently sitting at a coffee shop (doing said bullshit editing work), and I had a fun thought (probably due to too much caffeine). I want to try mixing/mastering a song using nothing but my laptop and ipod headphones. Completely in the box with amp sims and no outboard gear.

I figured this would be a good place to post my progress as sort of a "just-for-fun" thread. Anyone want to volunteer a song to mix? I have no idea how this will turn out, but just to keep this light-hearted, I'm only going to use my Apple Earpods. If someone wants to donate some Beats by Dre, I'm consider those as well (because that is even more hilarious).

Once I find a good song with quality tracks, I'll mix it and post it on here. I'm curious as to what a "trained" ear can accomplish using this flawed-as-fuck method.

Edit: A better option might be to remix a song I've done in the past from scratch and compare the end results.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blaine Rohmer
Interesting idea. I've wanted to try this myself as well after Graham from RecordingRevolution did something quite similiar.

Very interested in hearing your results if you do this!

I think on this one he talks through the whole process of what he did, including the mixing.

Yes Graham mixed a song completely at a starbuck's coffe with that setup as well. I don't like his demagogic style but he has a few good points.
That said, the iphone earphones are actually not that bad (i'm talking the current generation, the previous ones were horrible). I mean they don't isolate you from the ambient noise, but when there is silence, i can actually enjoy using them when I'm on the go for a short time.