What do you guys use for invoices?

brianhood

No Care Ever
this is a very noobish question, but i'm very DIY, and i've only been doing this for about 6 or 7 months now.

I need to send an invoice to a label before they can send me a check for an upcoming album im recording.
What do you guys use for your invoices? I looked around on google for a while, but i didnt really see anything that would work for this particular situation.

Are all invoices pretty much the same thing?

anyone care to share an invoice(blank or not), just so i can see how you have everything laid out?

There are a couple google docs templates that you can adapt. I've done the before and it works well. Basically you just need to establish a rate per unit (days, songs, tracking, mixing, whatever) and then a multiplier and your total.
Make sure to include your name (or your company name) and address, the name and address of the label, the name of the band/record and a payment due date.

I use open office and have an invoice template set up in a .doc file. You can find a few templates floating around quite easily. Make sure to get a services invoice, rather than a sales one.

Open office is great for it because you can print the invoices into .pdf files and do whatever you want with em from there.

MS Word has a number of free templates for invoices if you have that program (maybe at work?). if not, creating one is not about the design or whatever. its mostly just because accounting needs something to put into the file for paperwork/backup. so if youre creating one from scratch, dont worry about making it slick.

as mentioned above, be sure to include name and "payable to" if necessary, for example if you dont have a DBA bank account. also, many companies require a tax ID code, whether its a business tax ID or a personal SSN. so it might be worth asking what they require on their invoice. also, be sure to state a invoice due date, most often a month from date of issuance. some accounting policies wait till nearly the end of the 30 days to pay. its a cash flow control thing.

so, not trying to confuse the issue here. just an FYI, throwing out some things i've encountered over the years while running small businesses on the side. hope it helps

MS Word has a number of free templates for invoices if you have that program (maybe at work?). if not, creating one is not about the design or whatever. its mostly just because accounting needs something to put into the file for paperwork/backup. so if youre creating one from scratch, dont worry about making it slick.

as mentioned above, be sure to include name and "payable to" if necessary, for example if you dont have a DBA bank account. also, many companies require a tax ID code, whether its a business tax ID or a personal SSN. so it might be worth asking what they require on their invoice. also, be sure to state a invoice due date, most often a month from date of issuance. some accounting policies wait till nearly the end of the 30 days to pay. its a cash flow control thing.

so, not trying to confuse the issue here. just an FYI, throwing out some things i've encountered over the years while running small businesses on the side. hope it helps

+1

These can be made pretty easily using regular spreadsheet and word processing programs.

Good luck with the project!