10 amp load

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

Bet you thought this was about something different :devil:

Anyway, I've got a Furman PL 8-CE and I've run out of outlets. It provides 10, but I need more like 20.

One of the Furman techs suggested getting one of their cheaper units and chaining it into one of the PL 8 outlets for more, but he stressed that the PL 8 can only take 10 amps.

So my question is... how much can I exactly have hooked up before that's too much? What would realistically draw more? The most hardcore stuff hooked up would be my monitors (Event Opal), and the rest would be all outboard gear. Converters, compressors, EQs etc.

Ok.. Australia is 240V correct?

Watts/Volts=Amps

Most rack gear draws about 30w, or 1/8 of an amp. Sometimes you can find exactly how much they draw in the manuals. The Event Opals are rated at 360w program and 750w peak. 1.5 amps per monitor constantly or up to 3.125 amps if you are really pushing them hard.

I would say you are fine with the Furman and are probably not gonna come anywhere close to drawing 10 amps, unless you start hooking up guitar amps and stuff. A 5150 draws about 400w.

It wouldn't be possible to pull more than 10A even with multiple conditioners because at 240v mains, an entire circuit cannot exceed 10A or you will pop the circuit breaker. 10A at 240v is a total of 2400W, so unless you are even think about pulling more than a total of 2400W, then one conditioner is more than plenty. In the event you would need 2 conditioners, your going to need a mains voltage upgrade to pull more than 10A, which is expensive and a pain in the ass.

Nice, thanks guys. This is great news. I'll cram extension boards out the arse of the furman, and hopefully run out of rack space long before I run out of juice to power the gear.

I'll try to live up to your sense of expectation next time, Shadow_Walker!

In the event you would need 2 conditioners, your going to need a mains voltage upgrade to pull more than 10A, which is expensive and a pain in the ass

how so?

not sure about overseas, but here in the US pretty much every dwelling has at least 100A service, with 200A being pretty much the current standard. add to that the fact that the smallest size circuit breaker you can typically find for residential use is 15A(whether for 120 or 240V), and the smallest gauge building wire(14-2) is also rated to 15A, and i don't see how pulling a 10A load is going to have much of an effect on one's mains, unless most of the available amperage from the main is being drawn elsewhere. even if you run into a situation where you're tripping the breaker for that individual circuit, all you have to do is pop in a bigger breaker and run the appropriate sized romex on the circuit...

how so?

not sure about overseas, but here in the US pretty much every dwelling has at least 100A service, with 200A being pretty much the current standard. add to that the fact that the smallest size circuit breaker you can typically find for residential use is 15A(whether for 120 or 240V), and the smallest gauge building wire(14-2) is also rated to 15A, and i don't see how pulling a 10A load is going to have much of an effect on one's mains, unless most of the available amperage from the main is being drawn elsewhere. even if you run into a situation where you're tripping the breaker for that individual circuit, all you have to do is pop in a bigger breaker and run the appropriate sized romex on the circuit...

while each house has large current available, there are multiple circuits, which for 120v is 15-20A. Pull more than that on the circuit and you will pop the circuit breaker. At 240v the max current is 7.5-10A. For both voltages generally you cannot exceed 2400 watts of power amongst all the outlets on a circuit, where theres generally a circuit for every room, usually about 10-15 for a typical sized house.