$100 stumbled upon...mic selection :)

Jan 10, 2005
Ok, so I sold some stuff to a friend of mine for like $120 and I've never had a cheap condensor before, therefore I figured since this is "free" money, I might as well use it for this purpose...obviously instead of wasting hard-earned money for "cheap-o" gear. Anyway, I've been reading a lot of really good things about the MXL mics, especially the lowest priced models. One statement even said that it was "one of those things that should be worth a LOT more than it costs." So usually that means a lot to me about a peice of gear, more precisely when it's involved with recording.

SO. I was thinking of the MXL 990, or possibly the 2006. Both are the same price, if I remember correctly, and both get pretty much the same reviews. I've also seen/heard legitimate comparisons of a modded 990 up against a Neumann TLM127, and in the clips it was always the 990 that I was honestly more satisfied with the response and "color". Don't get me wrong, there's a reason why Neumann is what they are, but that modded 990 gave it a run for it's money. Also, before anybody says it, I do understand that it was a MODDED 990 and the production model won't sound much like it, if at all anywhere close.

I'm mainly aiming at using it for vocals and/or acoustic guitars. Trust me I'm not getting my hopes up at ALL about these mics because I've been down the "depressed-because-the-mic-doesn't-sound-like-the-really-nice-ones" road before.

Wow...I've rambled on and missed the point of me posting this....

Oh yeah...point was, it's really up to you guys to recommend which one for $120 or less (not including tax or anything) since I don't have any personal experience, and also don't know anybody in person that has had experience with ANY MXL mic. Doesn't matter to me which one I get, just as long as it's the best one for the money from that company. Whichever one is best all-around for vocals and acoustic guitars, thats what I want. So...TELL ME WHICH ONE TO GET!! lol. Yee-haw.

~006

Also to throw in there...

MXL 990 or 2006, OR a Studio Projects B1.

Mhmm.

~006

Er....wrong mics totally...

Overall for price, and applicability to vocals and acoustic guitar, which of these three?:

MXL 990
MXL V67G
Studio Projects B1

Yeah. Thats the ticket. :p

~006