15 Years Online!

goashem

Nov 5, 2001
http://etosofficial.wordpress.com/2011/02/26/15-years-online/

Good morning/evening/whatever guys and gals!

Sometimes it’s time for a tiny celebration. This time, it’s our website whose first version came online in February 1996. Unfortunately, the first version of our website is not archived anywhere but a 12-year-old version can be found here: http://web.archive.org/web/19990219104342/www.student.oulu.fi/~jpuolaka/etos.html At that time, our second album ‘Vilda Mánnu’ had just came out and we we’re going to have our first line-up change.

I remember creating our first website.. Things were so different back then. No Youtube, no Facebook, no MySpace, no Flash, just plain websites with text and graphics. It took quite a while to create a low-quality 30-second MP3 file and upload it onto the server. And it took minutes for people to download the file in order to listen to this low-quality music clip. Well, anyway, the most fundamental thing for having a website was the same: a band needs to communicate with the people who listen to the band’s music. Interaction, that’s the word.

Well, what about ‘right here, right now?’ We’re finishing our first batch of songs for the first recording session that takes place in late April. We could easily praise and drone on the new songs.. But we just say “it’s good stuff and we’re happy and satisfied with the new songs”.

There will be more news here once we start recording the material.

Thanks and cheers,
Jarmo P. & EToS

I remember creating our first website.. Things were so different back then. No Youtube, no Facebook, no MySpace, no Flash, just plain websites with text and graphics. It took quite a while to create a low-quality 30-second MP3 file and upload it onto the server. And it took minutes for people to download the file in order to listen to this low-quality music clip.
Yeah, I remember how difficult it was to find new music that I liked. It was very difficult to determine if it was worth buying a CD from a new band based on a few 30 second clips, especially when I was just a poor high school student. And, at the time, brick and mortar stores didn't carry a lot of metal, and importing it was expensive.

I remember finding the ETOS website (probably around the time of A Virgin and a Whore), and thinking the samples were pretty good, but I didn't have a lot of money and wasn't planning on importing it. Luckily, the HMV here had one copy of Chaotic Beauty, that was sitting on the front of a shelf. I wasn't even really looking for it, it just caught my eye as I was walking by and I made an impulse purchase. I'm glad I did.