16bit and 24bit together

updog

May 9, 2009
Finland
I finally bounced my band's tracks and just remembered that I had S2.0 left in 16-bit mode, although I've been tracking at 24 and was planning to swith the bit depth before a final bounce.

I'm thinking; can the sonic difference be really heard in a metal mix? Would it sound any different if I went back and changed it all? I know 24 depth allows greater dynamics (which producing metal music traditionally completely destroys) so if I changed the settings, would the volume levels be affected? And, does it matter having both 16bit and 24bit files in a mix? (all my files are actually 24bit, but S2.0 used 16-bit samples)

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I've gone through this stuff before but I haven't actually had a real-life benefit situation of using 24 bit yet.

if I changed the settings, would the volume levels be affected?
From 16 bit to 24 bit..No

does it matter having both 16bit and 24bit files in a mix? (all my files are actually 24bit, but S2.0 used 16-bit samples)
I wouldn't sweat it. Having 16 bit files in a 24 bit session is not a problem. If you wanted, you could bounce one of the songs with S2.0 switched to 24 bit to a/b/x against the mix you already have. See if you can hear it, or do a null test. If the samples that were coming from S2.0 were originally 16 bit there won't be a difference.