17.4 khz, the "mosquito frequency"

darthjujuu

Nov 17, 2008
Boston
www.myspace.com
apologies in advance if this has been posted before.

but i was just made aware of how old i am and lost a very heated argument over this...

this girl just told me there's this ringtone that "parents and teachers" can't hear if you're over your mid 20's, and i started spouting knowledge of the frequency spectrum and how a cell phone speaker can't possibly replicate frequencies as high as "the dog range" as i put it.

i still stand by my statement that cell phones can't make this noise, but i did get owned by this youtube video... i can't hear 17.4 khz, but the 15khz (in my adam A3's) makes my skull want to explode. can any of YOU hear the 17.4?? also worth noting i'm 24, 25 in april.

Last edited by a moderator:
i heard it its lower then the other frequencies and it hurts like the rest seriously mabey i should get some hearing protection so i can hear it when im old

I heard the 17k fine, and I used to use it in highschool. It worked fine as well, teachers couldn't hear it, and I knew when I got a text.

Heard it all. 17.4 was a bit low on volume so my hearing is probably deteriorating. That what happens after years of being exposed to metal gigs + 3 years as an F-16 mechanic in the army being exposed to levels that peak around 140DB for several hours a day.