17.4 khz, the "mosquito frequency"

i'm 20 and i couldn't hear it FFFUUU,
i was always wearing ear protection and never turned up my mp3 player beyond 50%, and now i can't fucking hear it damn

but i remember this shit in school, some people were constantly playing that stupid ringtone and it drove me fucking nuts while the teacher didn't notice it

24 and heard it! Got the feeling, that I could hear even higher frequencies.. but damn, you could torture me with that! These high sinus tones create a high pressure feel in my head!

I could hear it. I'm 34 and am just now starting to wear hearing protection at shows and band practice. So that's atleast 20 years of not protecting my hearing.

I wouldn't imagine youtube reproduces 17.4k all that well itself.

I was wondering why I couldn't hear it at first, and then realized it was because I had set the treble response of my monitors to -4dB.
Changed it to 0db, and could hear it easily after that :lol:

23.. can't hear it... should've worn earplugs when I was touring the south in front of a half stack, haha..

I think some people are mistaking Presbycusis for environment induced hearing loss.
Regardless of whether you protect your hearing well or not, you WILL lose your full frequency range over time as you age. This is Presbycusis.
The noise induced hearing loss we get from being exposed to loud music/noises starts to first to affect the high and upper mids (3-6KHz), and then slowly moves to lower ranges of the mids.
So basically, even if you're 50 years old and can only hear up to 15KHz and protected your ears well and have a very flat response in your hearing, you can realistically hear better than those fucking retards in their late teens who have been exposing themselves to super high volumes everyday because of their portable music player for years yet can still hear 20KHz.
This is the reason why many of the older mixing and mastering engineers are still doing great work, because they protected their ears and their mid range perception is still relatively intact, despite perhaps only being able to hear up to 14 or 15KHz.
Of course, that's not the sole reason why they're good at what they do, but obviously not having to compensate for hearing damage is a HUGE advantage in the same way having a good monitoring environment is advantageous over a shitty one as they don't have to compensate for limitations.

My sister is only 4 years older than me, and her hearing is pretty fucked already. She has to turn up the TV louder to compensate for the damage in the mid range she has caused herself by never wearing ear plugs by playing drums and going to heaps of gigs without hearing. A lot of people underestimate just how quickly that damage can accumulate.