BEST way to MATCH EQ: impulses! (lot of stuff inside, clips, impulses, images...)

Wild Hades

Clean channels are for pussies
May 2, 2006
Italy
These days I've tried to find a better way to match eq...
Why? Because Voxengo Curve Eq can actually match a spectrum, but it can't really replicate narrow spikes and has some problems matching high frequencies around 18-20KHz...
Try to use your preamp (or VST preamp) and an impulse, capture the spectrum, then bypass the impulse and ask Voxengo to make the match...
The result would be near to the original one, but with a lot of approximation that gives result pretty different from the original one, expecially on those narrow spikes...
Cab impulses are mostly a matter of eq, and they actually contains that spikes "stolen" from the real cab+mic+preamp.
So, impulses are way more accurate than Voxengo Curve Eq, cause they have ideally infinite bands.
Then why don't find a way to use impulses to match the eq?

Experiment:

Most of you would remember the cab-mic comparison that Andy posted (check the "sticky: FAQ"). They are just reampings of the same signal into different cabs and mics.
I've taken 2 of them: Mesa V30 SM57 (later I'll explain why...) and Krank Eminence and tried to match the second one using Voxengo Curve Eq

This is the result:

usingcurveeqpb2.jpg

Then I used the Mesa V30 SM57 clip as a Test Tone on Voxengo Curve Eq and Krank Eminence as the file to process. This has given to me an impulse containing the eq differences between the two clips... (remember to check the "MP Transform" before processing, if you're using test tones different from sweeps).
I've putted KeFIR on the Mesa V30 SM57 clip and loaded that impulse (using full lenght and full mix).

This is THE result:

usingimpulsepe6.jpg

Impressive...
You can HEAR the difference here:
http://www.filefreak.com/pfiles/42577/ComparisonClips.rar
(had to convert to mp3 due to upload problems... sorry).

Then I had an idea...
GuitarHack impulses are based on Mesa V30 SM57... so why don't take impulses from the Andy's clips, simply to "convert" that Mesa cab to a Krank or a Marshall one... or to "convert" an SM57 to a I5...

Here you go:
http://www.filefreak.com/ppublic/13415/MatchingImpulses.rar

On the file you'll find the original impulses (you could try to make your own one using the same technique and the same clips) and a "Trimmed and Equalized" folder, containing the same impulses without the tail (to prevent annoying delay/phasing) and with some eq to remove some really nasty frequency peaks (I think that you can hear that too on the Andy's clips, but in a less niticeable way).

So put that impulses AFTER a GuitarHack impulse (yes, this means: DO NOT USE THESE IMPULSES ALONE!!! WILL SOUND LIKE CRAP) and get a Krankish/Marshallish flavour for your sound...

Hope you find this thread usefull somehow...:loco:
Sorry for my crappy English.

Cheers

Thanks guys, glad to help!

The fact that Curve Eq does't replicate narrow spikes, explains why matching the preamp eq gives much better results than matching the post cab-mic signal.
In fact, the preamp spectrum is smoother and doesn't contain great peaks...

BEST COMBO FOR EQ MATCHING IS CURVE EQ THEN HARBALL
CAPTURE THE EQ VIA CURVE EQ BOUNCE OF THE TRACK
LOAD IT INTO HARBALL AND EQ MATCH IT FURTHER USING THE HARBALL
EQ MATCH THE RESULTS ARE EVEN CLOSER THAN YOU WOULD GET JUST USING CRUVE EQ.

sorry for shouting :lol:

but seriously try this.

I`m need to try this aproach, previously I did not get good results... but I`m used slightly different aproach.
I agree that Curve EQ can not capture spike - this stated in it`s manual.