1x12 cab for the bedroom with a 1 watt head. Help a noob out?

Kavar216

Resident Jedi Knight
Oct 27, 2009
Goa, India
Hello folks

I lurk around here plenty but haven't posted too often.
What cab/speaker would you recommend for the Randall Diavlo RD1H 1 watt head? I'm thinking about this guy:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...iDgEpBIWrh8LKu72UxlPekCnJc0wSnNtzyhoCxJTw_wcB

The Vox Night Train 1x12, since it is a 1x12 that has a Greenback in it, which has a pretty low power rating so it will hopefully not sound like utter shite at super low volumes. Unfortunately I do not have much first hand experience with tube amps, since I've pretty much played modellers most of my life.

Musical style: mostly thrash, both 6 and 7 string. Would you recommend this course of action, or do you have better suggestions? Price range about the same as that one, $250ish.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, people!

My issue with the V30 is that at really low volumes (and driven by a ONE watt amp, lol) it sounds quite terrible, since it's rated at 60 watts. So I'm trying to get my hands on a really quiet speaker in the hope that it will not sound as thin and buzzy. Is that reasonable to assume?

I've played the H&K single speaker cabinet with a 18-W TubeMeister soaked in to both 5W and 1W, and it sounded quite good, plenty of growl even with a cheapo Epi and an american Strat.

Been meaning to try that amp/cab setup out with a KM7 Schecter but haven't gotten around to it, I didn't like the swamp ash 'feel' too much tbh (personally I'm a fan of mahogany).

My issue with the V30 is that at really low volumes (and driven by a ONE watt amp, lol) it sounds quite terrible, since it's rated at 60 watts. So I'm trying to get my hands on a really quiet speaker in the hope that it will not sound as thin and buzzy. Is that reasonable to assume?

As someone who plays through a 5 watt amp, I totally understand. BUT I still think that the open back cab is a mistake. Maybe look for a used cab and replace the speaker with a greenback or something that can handle low watt amps.

I have the Night Train cab. It's a piece of shit. The speaker is awesome, but the cab itself is rubbish. It's MDF. The first time I removed the speaker to try it out in my 4x12, the MDF got stripped where the speaker mounts to the front baffle in a couple of spots, and now I can't use it anymore. The grill cloth is all loose now too, and it's really really thin, so I doubt it protects the speaker from much.

A friend of mine has a Mesa Mini Rectifier 1x12 and it sounds great with his RD1H. I put a G10 Greenback 10" in my RVC (Guitar Center exclusive version of the RD5) combo, and it sounds good too, but the Recto cab sounds better. Granted the cabinet itself is much better made, and the Vintage 30 does need a touch more power to open up, but it's not unuseable at low volumes.

Take a look at the Egnater 1x12 cabs too. I think one's an open back and the other is a closed back. One comes with an G12H Anniversary and the other comes with an Elite 80 (Both Celestion), but I forget which is which. The cheaper one is a few bucks more expensive than the Vox, but those seem to be decently made.

The Jet City 1x12 is cheape too, and it's plywood. I was looking at those when I found the Vox cab locally, and I totally regret not holding out for those.

I have the Night Train cab. It's a piece of shit. The speaker is awesome, but the cab itself is rubbish. It's MDF. The first time I removed the speaker to try it out in my 4x12, the MDF got stripped where the speaker mounts to the front baffle in a couple of spots, and now I can't use it anymore. The grill cloth is all loose now too, and it's really really thin, so I doubt it protects the speaker from much.

A friend of mine has a Mesa Mini Rectifier 1x12 and it sounds great with his RD1H. I put a G10 Greenback 10" in my RVC (Guitar Center exclusive version of the RD5) combo, and it sounds good too, but the Recto cab sounds better. Granted the cabinet itself is much better made, and the Vintage 30 does need a touch more power to open up, but it's not unuseable at low volumes.

Take a look at the Egnater 1x12 cabs too. I think one's an open back and the other is a closed back. One comes with an G12H Anniversary and the other comes with an Elite 80 (Both Celestion), but I forget which is which. The cheaper one is a few bucks more expensive than the Vox, but those seem to be decently made.

The Jet City 1x12 is cheape too, and it's plywood. I was looking at those when I found the Vox cab locally, and I totally regret not holding out for those.

Thank you very much! Apologies for the late response, I've been travelling.

So the Egnater Tweaker 112 looks interesting...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...TXXAO0rb8eye6IbqgsvURyPhNsAfuCWRsLRoCchLw_wcB

This the one of which you're speaking, correct?

EDIT: that's semi closed back (whatever that means). Is this a waste of time as well?

Cheers!

Thank you very much! Apologies for the late response, I've been travelling.

So the Egnater Tweaker 112 looks interesting...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...TXXAO0rb8eye6IbqgsvURyPhNsAfuCWRsLRoCchLw_wcB

This the one of which you're speaking, correct?

EDIT: that's semi closed back (whatever that means). Is this a waste of time as well?

Cheers!
It just means it's open back. Yeah, open-back wouldn't be my first choice. I guess the one I meant was the other... I guess it's the Rebel 112? Sorry. :(

How about the Jet City? Can you get ahold of that one?

It just means it's open back. Yeah, open-back wouldn't be my first choice. I guess the one I meant was the other... I guess it's the Rebel 112? Sorry. :(

How about the Jet City? Can you get ahold of that one?

Jet city seems to be unavailable. However I came across this guy:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...6-112-1x12-closed-back-guitar-speaker-cabinet

it's a closed back 112 for a great price. It's got something called a VHT Chromeback speaker, 60 watts. How does this look? Any opinions on this one?

ADDITIONAL QUESTION: Is it possible to use this as a preamp? WITHOUT the speaker emulation, so I can use impulses for recording? If that is possible without having to own a cab it's a good idea for recording for me. Thanks!

it's a closed back 112 for a great price. It's got something called a VHT Chromeback speaker, 60 watts. How does this look? Any opinions on this one?

ADDITIONAL QUESTION: Is it possible to use this as a preamp? WITHOUT the speaker emulation, so I can use impulses for recording? If that is possible without having to own a cab it's a good idea for recording for me. Thanks!
No idea on the cab. Sorry, man. :(

Yes, you can use it as a preamp. Just plug the FX Send into your interface's input, and that way, you won't get the bult-in cab sim. It's cool because the FX loop is probably parallel or something, because if you plug something into its send and nothing into its return, the amp still sounds as if there is nothing plugged into its loop. So you can still listen to your playing on your cab while you record the FX loop send.

This is how mine sounds out of its FX Send with an impulse in Reaper: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/315457/RandallTest.mp3

I probably shouldn't have used the "scooped" setting on the Randall because impulses are much larger-sounding than the speaker and tiny poweramp in the combo, which is what I had it dialed in for. Anyway, it's definitely not voiced like a 5150 or a Recto, but it's got a cool, focused, snarly, pissed off character, IMO.

Rex, you are the BOSS.

You just sold me on the Diavlo. I'm ordering it as soon as I get home from New York.
Cheers, man. Thank you so much for the help.

I'll just get the head for now and save more money for a GOOD 1x12 or 2x12 cabinet.

Jet city seems to be unavailable. However I came across this guy:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...6-112-1x12-closed-back-guitar-speaker-cabinet

My buddy has the one with a V30 in it, and that cab is killer.

For the BEDROOM though, this is what you want. Closed or open back, built-in attenuator to drive your tubes harder, removable front... Panama gear has me by the balls atm :yell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vny130tsvTA

My buddy has the one with a V30 in it, and that cab is killer.

For the BEDROOM though, this is what you want. Closed or open back, built-in attenuator to drive your tubes harder, removable front... Panama gear has me by the balls atm :yell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vny130tsvTA

Thank you for your comments!

I'll check out the Panama stuff as well. Cheers!

EDIT: JESUS the Panama looks amazing.