1x12 or 2x12 combos for metal...recommendations?

Terminus

Apr 19, 2009
Hey there. I'm in the market for a nice little combo amp to jam on at home and with friends in small places (an e-kit is involved so volume isn't much of an issue) and I'm kind of lost on combo amps since I literally haven't paid any attention to them since I was a young teen starting out. I'm looking at a 5150 peavey but if you guys think there's a more versatile brand/model for metal, I'm all ears. Obviously needs to be closed in the back. 1x12's are also eligible but honestly I really want a 2-fer. Any help?

I've got a 6505 (identical to a 5150) 2x12, and it's great... for metal. "Versatile" is not the word I'd use, but an effect loop pedal and a Boss AC-3 will fix that right up.

One thing to be aware of with combos, particularly 2x12s, and ESPECIALLY 5150/6505s, is that they can get fucking heavy - mine is 85lbs, which is why I'm planning to build a separate shell for the amp chassis to live in.

As for suggestions, I've heard good things about Blackstar, as well as the Laney Ironheart amps.

5150 212 combo, done. You do not want the 6505+ 112 combo. Does not sound nearly as good as the 2x12 combo.

The Blackstar HT-5 is really cool, tiny and affordable. Might need a boost, it's a while since I tried one out but I was very impressed by it.

Yeah looks like either the 6505/5150 or the HT-5 are the most affordable options, shit those mesas are 1,200 bucks+ for a 1x12 combo new! hahah crazy price.

Mesa amps have always been overpriced imo, but people seem to buy anyway, so it would be stupid of them to lower the price obviously.