2 Amps blended and Quad tracking

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
Hi
I've a stupid question....a doubt..

If I wanna quad track guitars and I wanna blend 2 different amps, the quad tracking consist in:

amp1 left, amp2 left | amp1 right, amp2 right

or

amp1 left, amp2 left (2x) | amp1 right, amp2 right (2x)

?

4 tracks or 8 tracks? And..if I wanna use 2 mics? 16 tracks? :D

Thank you very much

depends on where in the process you wanna do the actual blending.
if you want to keep control untill you start mixing you would be working with 8 tracks, and if you're using 2 mics per cab that would be 16, if you're recording DI tracks (for the sake of editing and backup plan, you never know if it turns out like you want and you don't wanna re-record everything) that would add up to 24 tracks

Hi
I've a stupid question....a doubt..

If I wanna quad track guitars and I wanna blend 2 different amps, the quad tracking consist in:

amp1 left, amp2 left | amp1 right, amp2 right

or

amp1 left, amp2 left (2x) | amp1 right, amp2 right (2x)

?

4 tracks or 8 tracks? And..if I wanna use 2 mics? 16 tracks? :D

Thank you very much

typically, i think it goes Amp1-Amp2 -- Amp2 Amp1

but then again, there are no rules...

quadtracking is 4 takes total, if you're using two channels (amps in your case) per take, then it's 8 tracks total. to me this seem like a bit much, i'd just do two takes of each amp.

quadtracking is 4 takes total, if you're using two channels (amps in your case) per take, then it's 8 tracks total. to me this seem like a bit much, i'd just do two takes of each amp.

while we're at it, when double tracking (or quad tracking) would you use the same amp all the way or use one amp on the left and one on the right? right now i have double tracked, amp1 on the left and amp2 on the right. the same thing in quad would be amp1-amp1-amp2-amp2.

is this whats normally done?

I do this regularly these days, Amp1 is two takes, 100% left and right, Amp2 is two takes, 75% left and right.

For the last thing I recorded. I did this:

Quad-tracked guitars. Used two mics on the 6505+ (Royer 121 and SM57) and a ENGL Fireball (Royer 121). 6505+ = Amp 1 and ENGL Fireball = Amp 2

Amp1-Mic1 = 100% L
Amp1-Mic2 = 100% L
Amp1-Mic1 = 100% R
Amp1-Mic2 = 100% R
Amp2-Mic1 = 80% L
Amp2-Mic1 = 80% R

It sounded really massive. I can post pictures if I can get them from the studio. (It was at a studio that I was doing session work as the guitarist for)

Hmm for double I guess I would probably just use 1 amp, but I'm not sure. I haven't double tracked in a long long time. When I did I just used one amp.