guess the ampS 2

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
hey there, I just reamped the same 4 tracks through different amps, same mic-position and everything.

Amps were (random order):

Subcutane (soldano style) preamp thru 5150 poweramp
Peavy 5150 (biasmodded)
Mesa '93 2 Recto

so gues which file belongs to which amp

Amp1
Amp2
Amp3

next thing to follow is a guitarshootout all my guitars in comparison

I'm definitely gonna agree on the third being the Sub; it honestly sounds the wimpiest to me. I'd say 1 is the Mesa, and 2 is the 5150 (because of its lesser thunk in the low mids), but that's a tentative guess, cuz they're really similar...

I think most of you are dead wrong on the Sub being the third, the thing that always stands out to me between a 5150 and SLO is that the SLO is always less fizzy..... I hope I'm right or I'm going to feel like a moron:ill:

Well as I understand it, the 5150 and Mesa were both using their own power amps, so I don't think that was really a factor in this test...

not bad.
the interesting thing is, that I did not try to sonically match them, I just turned'em on and recorded with the settings they were on.
although there's definitely a difference they still sound pretty close for being completely different amps.
I changed v1 in the 5150 for a short test and that alone made it sound more different than most of the other amps (same with guitars).
I'm 100% sure I could set them that they sound totally alike and noone could tell which one is the mesa and which the 5150.
also: the files should be in phase, try combining them, gives nice results as well (I like 1 and 3 for example).

most of you are correct with one amp being fizzier than the other, that's mainly because that "fizzy" amp has chinese 12ax7 in all positions which tends to give a pretty fizzy sound, that other one (less fizzy in this file) has all JJ in the preamp, those give a darker/rounder sound.

if I'd swap the preamp-tubes the result would be the exact opposite.

so what files/combinations do you guys like best?

(gonna tell you tomorrow which file's what amp).

Well as I understand it, the 5150 and Mesa were both using their own power amps, so I don't think that was really a factor in this test...

Yeah, I know, but that one clip with the mix and match is what got me interested, because both the clips that have the 5150 in them seem to have alot of the 5150 character, even with another pre used in one of them. I'd love to hear a recto pre mixed with a peavey (5150 or JSX) power section.

Yeah, I know, but that one clip with the mix and match is what got me interested, because both the clips that have the 5150 in them seem to have alot of the 5150 character, even with another pre used in one of them. I'd love to hear a recto pre mixed with a peavey (5150 or JSX) power section.

especially with the recto the poweramp has a huge influence, due to no negative feedback in the poweramp.

when I used differently biased powertubes the difference was also way b igger than between the amps. it was also bigger than the diff between 6l6 and el34 both biased hot

the preamps of all the 3 amps ar4e based on the same amp