5150/5150 II/5150 III Tone Comparison (CLIPZ)

Which 5150 revision is which?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lolzgreg

Cereal Shipping Sneapster
Dec 17, 2008
Long Beach, New York
Here it is folks:

THE UNOFFICIAL 5150/5150 II/5150 III COMPARISON TONE TEST

Since I own all three amps, have a consistent set of DIs (thanks to good 'ol Jeff) and had some time off, I thought I would help you choose which 5150 is right for you! What it comes down to, is that I will be VERY surprised if anyone here can successfully get three out of three amps correct. As soon as I get enough votes about which amp is which, I will post the answers, as well as a track with just guitars.

The reason why these guitars are in the mix, is because it really DOESN'T matter what the solo'd sound is like as long as it rocks in a mix. We all know this by now, so I'll continue.

All amplifiers have the EXACT SAME TONESTACK SETTINGS.
All amplifiers were recorded at the SAME VOLUME (not numerically, but how it read in the mixer).
All amplifiers had the same boost in front with the same settings.
The mic position was the same, as well as the cabinet, for all clips.
The DIs were consistent (the same riff) for every test.

All of the amps have the same preamp tubes (Sovtek 5881WXT in the power amp and Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH in the preamp).

The riff IS quad tracked. There are two tracks 100% left and right, and two 90% left and right. The inner tracks are 1.75 quieter on the fader.

A highpass at 60hz and a lowpass at 12khz was performed. No other processing is on the guitars.

RME FF800 output->Ebtech Hum Eliminator->John Cuniberti Reamp V2->Maxon OD-820 Pro->5150 (insert revision here)->Mesa Recto 4x12->SM57->RME FF800 preamp

Every 30 seconds, the amplifier changes in the clip, so in the approximately 90 second long clip, each of the three 5150 models are performing. The riff and backing track are just repeating with a different amp selection.

The only thing that prevents this test from being as scientific as possible is that my 5150 II is modded to 5150 specs with upgraded transformers and a bias mod. Now, with that in mind, two of these amps may sound more similar than the odd man out.

Lasse and I had a modest conversation about how the 5150II will still sound much different than the 5150, even after the circuit board changes to match the original. I will let you forumites decide:

Here is the 16-bit 44.1khz wav:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1569935/5150-5150II-5150 COMPARISON.wav

ANSWERS:

CLIP 1: 5150
CLIP 2: 5150 II
CLIP 3: 5150 III

DISCUSS!

I voted:

1 5150
2 5150 II
3 5150 III

To me, the third section/amp sounds the most different from the other 2. The first amp sounds the most scooped, the third one to me is clearer than the first 2 with slightly less boominess/low mids or something. As with most comparisons of this nature, I think all 3 amps could be made to sound pretty much the same with additional EQ/processing.

In terms of clarity, I like the 3rd one...In terms of scooped thickness, I like the first one. Overall, the 2nd one sounds most like the first one, but still sits in the middle between 1st and 3rd in terms of voicing/tone.

To me, the third amp in comparison to the first (well and the second since they are so close) is what I'd say is the main differences between a 5150 and 5150II (II being more clear, less low mids)...But with your 5150II having the mod, it's tough to say.

Don't care which is which, but in order of how much I like them, third, second, first.

I'll just go out on a whim and say that the first is the 5150 II, the second is the 5150, and the third is the 5150III.

Fuck I need to remix that backing or something LOL.

I voted:

1 5150
2 5150 II
3 5150 III

To me, the third section/amp sounds the most different from the other 2. The first amp sounds the most scooped, the third one to me is clearer than the first 2 with slightly less boominess/low mids or something. As with most comparisons of this nature, I think all 3 amps could be made to sound pretty much the same with additional EQ/processing.

In terms of clarity, I like the 3rd one...In terms of scooped thickness, I like the first one. Overall, the 2nd one sounds most like the first one, but still sits in the middle between 1st and 3rd in terms of voicing/tone.

To me, the third amp in comparison to the first (well and the second since they are so close) is what I'd say is the main differences between a 5150 and 5150II (II being more clear, less low mids)...But with your 5150II having the mod, it's tough to say.

I agree with this. you pretty much nailed my thoughts, although I could have guessed either way about the first two. The 3rd was most distinctly different, and that's why I think it's the 5150 III, BUT it is still very similar to the other two.

I can't wait to get my 5150 III. haha.

1. 5150 II
3. 5150 III
3. 5150

i like 3 the best, love the low mids on that one!

1 has a bit to much low end I think.
2 is very much like 1 but with a bit less lows and a little more high mids.
3 is the brightest of the bunch but has a slight honk in the mids that the other two don't have.

My personal preference is 2,3,1.
I'm guessing:
1 - 5150
2 - 5150II
3 - 5150III

Really though they're all great sounding and similar enough that with slight adjustments to the dials and possibly an eq in the loop you could get them identical.