5150(6505)/5150 II(6505+) and Rectifier Comparison Thread

On a recent note, the component tolerances for Peavey amplifiers, as well as the production location (China), may effect how the 6505 amps sound compared to 5150 despite them being the exact same circuit.

I'm curious as to the source of this information. On Peavey's website as well as in an email reply to an inquiry of mine, it has been confirmed that all 6505 and 6505+ heads are designed and built 100% in the U.S.A. The 6505+ combos are the only part of the 6505 line made outside of the U.S.A.

More and more I'm starting to think there must have been something very wrong with the 6505 I had and sold. Everyone talks about how tight and clear they are....but mine at high volumes/band levels was totally unfocused, flubby, extremely shrill, and even with my NS-2 set to the most extreme setting it just squealed when the volume was around noon. I missed the thump of my old Rectos and ditched it for a Tremoverb...but I'm getting the itch again. Is this normal or was mine seriously fucked?

*Updated* I now have my second 6505, and it rules. Something was definitely wrong with my first one.

I'm curious as to the source of this information. On Peavey's website as well as in an email reply to an inquiry of mine, it has been confirmed that all 6505 and 6505+ heads are designed and built 100% in the U.S.A. The 6505+ combos are the only part of the 6505 line made outside of the U.S.A.

Only the 6505+ 1x12 is made in China. The rest of the 6505 line is all USA.

Does anyone have the comparison file still on their computer that they'd be willing to upload? Even if it is just an mp3. Would be very interested to hear this.

Cheers.

So as far as I have read, the 6505 head is the same as the 5150, even on the sound? I was thinking on getting a 5150, but if the 6505 is the same, then why not getting a 6505?

So as far as I have read, the 6505 head is the same as the 5150, even on the sound? I was thinking on getting a 5150, but if the 6505 is the same, then why not getting a 6505?

They are the same amp, when EVH left his contract with PV, he took his copyrighted name 5150 with him, so PV had to rename their amp. The 5150 = 6505 and the 5150 II = 6505+. There really is no reason to buy one over the other, other than cosmetics and age, the amps under working conditions will all perform the same.

@the topic of tolerances: most amps will have components which have a rating of anywhere between 5% and 20%. All this means is that the component when tested from the manufacture can have up to that much of an error and still be labeled the value that it is. In reality, even a 20% tolerance resistor on average in my experience of testing hundreds of resistors is either exactly on, or off by about 2% at most.

When we start talking about amplifier design, if you are to look at the range of values that a component could have if it remains within its tolerance, the overall effect mathematically would hardly make a dent in the overall function of the circuit. Yes it could have an effect and in most cases does, but to be extremely noticeable is still fairly rare.

For example myself and my guitarist's 5150s both are about 10 years apart from each other, we have different power tubes and on the same cab, we (or mostly I) can feel a difference but can't really put our fingers on exactly what it is, nor can we really say which one sounds better. Under a mic, nobody that has heard the clips can tell the two apart.

They are the same amp, when EVH left his contract with PV, he took his copyrighted name 5150 with him, so PV had to rename their amp. The 5150 = 6505 and the 5150 II = 6505+. There really is no reason to buy one over the other, other than cosmetics and age, the amps under working conditions will all perform the same.

@the topic of tolerances: most amps will have components which have a rating of anywhere between 5% and 20%. All this means is that the component when tested from the manufacture can have up to that much of an error and still be labeled the value that it is. In reality, even a 20% tolerance resistor on average in my experience of testing hundreds of resistors is either exactly on, or off by about 2% at most.

When we start talking about amplifier design, if you are to look at the range of values that a component could have if it remains within its tolerance, the overall effect mathematically would hardly make a dent in the overall function of the circuit. Yes it could have an effect and in most cases does, but to be extremely noticeable is still fairly rare.

For example myself and my guitarist's 5150s both are about 10 years apart from each other, we have different power tubes and on the same cab, we (or mostly I) can feel a difference but can't really put our fingers on exactly what it is, nor can we really say which one sounds better. Under a mic, nobody that has heard the clips can tell the two apart.

Alright man, got it :). Thanks a lot!

I had a Solo rectifier sometime around -99 and I thought it sounded great:confused: I have tried duals and triples from time to time and never liked them. The solo I had sounded much tighter and not at all buzzy from what I can remember. Does anyone know if they changed the circuit of the solos somewhere between 95 and nowadays?

I have an original Rectoverb 1x12 and I agree - thick and chewy and not at all buzzy. I've read about them being thin sounding but mine surely isn't. There was a fairly major reworking for the Mk 2 which I never liked anywhere near so much.

Amp2 sounds kinda boomy and amp1 more mid heavy. I would choose amp1 here. I never played both so i can't guess which is which.
You didn't use the exact same tubes in both amps for the comparison, did you?

Preamp tubes are the same but not power. One head only arrived a few hours before I made these clips.

So both amps are as you would buy them "stock"