Trading/Selling my TSL100 for Peavey 5150? 6505? Advice please!

Dylan S

Celephai
Feb 27, 2009
Australia
Hey guys,

So long story short, I never use my TSL100 anymore since I got my Dual Recto, and I feel like even though I'm highly attached to it because it was my first big tube amp, I should get something I'm going to enjoy using and still want to use, but be different enough to my recto to justify owning it.

Am I correct in saying there is no difference between the 5150 and 6505? (I did some search function-ing).

I'm not too worried about the clean channel of the amp, because I won't be playing clean with it, but I'm wondering if getting the II or + version of the amps will be a good move, or something that seems slightly unnecessary? Is there any quality difference between the 6505 and the 6505+? Should I bother selling my Marshall and using 21st money to get myself a brand new amp or are the older 5150's still the best?

:D Sorry for all the questions guys but I'm excited because I've always wanted to own one of these amps and now I have the chance to. :)

Nice! :D

So is do the 6505+ models sacrifice a little bit of tone when compared to the regular models at all? Or is it really splitting hairs?

The only difference the + makes or means is an added pre-amp tube for more gain structure, which a fucking 6505 does NOT need. Get the 5150, man, for the price (not to mention it sounds better than the 6505 or 6505+) it truly is the holy grail of metal amps.

It also gives you EQ and RES, PRES for each channel as the "non-plus"those controls are shared.

It does have 1 extra preamp tube, but some will say that the gain is a little bit looser and not as devastatingly brutal as the MKI.

And sorry but the 5150 sounds better than the 6505 is a total myth. The major difference was the stock tubes that came with it.

So the plus have an extra pre-amp tube and the clean/heavy rhythm channels have separate EQ?

If that is the case, I'm not going to be using clean very much on the amp anyway so I may as well save some dollars and just get a regular one instead of the plus, but i'll see if I get the opportunity to try both out. I don't need something overly versatile because my 3ch recto can do it all, even when leaving my EQ all in the same spot and just flicking a couple of switches.

It's half the reason I'm getting rid of the Marshall. I was expecting my Recto to fail at some sounds that my Marshall would kick ass it, but it can do everything the Marshall can (granted...in a very different way) and more, and I know a 5150 is not only capable of amazing metal tones, but the rock tones are obviously great too.

don't get me wrong, I like my TSL and i will always tell people I think they're solid amps...but I love my Recto more and I'm sure I'd love a 5150/6505 more too. :D

So the plus have an extra pre-amp tube and the clean/heavy rhythm channels have separate EQ?

It's actually Rythym/Lead channels have seperate EQ and Resonance and Presence controls.

Not much for a clean channel, but you can get some decent cleans out of them if you really try.

Yes but doesn't the rhythm channel also double as the lead channel with a switch?

I'm sorry, I realised I mixed my words up there...:lol:

Is they 'rhythm' channel heavy enough to use for death metal rhythms, or is it more of a rock/crunch type of deal? it would be great if it could do death metal rhythms so I could use the lead channel for leads only, but I'm not too worried about it. Keep in mind I do have an overdrive pedal (MXR-ZW-44) so I can either use it to boost my rhythm channel or I can use it on the 'rhythm' channel to get some extra crunch and put it in death metal territory so I can use the lead channel for leads only.

The rythym channel is more brutal than most amps lead channel. I play in a deathmetal band and prefer using the rythym channel.

In reality they are both basically lead channels, but the rythym has a "crunch" switch (which I keep engaged) and a "bright" switch.

Rythym channel = super brutal
Lead channel = super duper extreme brutal

:headbang:

Keep in mind both the mkI and mkII are both 2 channel amps, neither one has a "clean" channel.

In reality they are both basically lead channels, but the rythym has a "crunch" switch (which I keep engaged) and a "bright" switch.

Rythym channel = super brutal
Lead channel = super duper extreme brutal

:headbang:

Keep in mind both the mkI and mkII are both 2 channel amps, neither one has a "clean" channel.

Haha, yup, that about sums it up - IMO the differences in sound between the rhythm and lead channel are two subtle differences in flavor of the same sound, so yeah, pretty much think of it as an amp with one sound, that happens to be pretty damn cool! Personally I prefer the Rectifier, but since you already have one, if you wanted another amp the 5150 would be my choice! (or maybe a Krank, but that's a bit pricier...)

Wow.

In that case I might go after the plus so I can have different EQ's for my rhythm and lead sounds.

Thanks for the help guys! :D