5150 or 6505?

-Loco-

Knives.
Apr 17, 2009
I was talking to a friend of mine about selling my amp - mesa trip rec.

I asked him if there was a difference between the 5150 and the 6505 and he said there wasn't any difference at all? not even in the schematic or anything.

Is he b/s-ing?

:guh:

Nope, he's right, they're identical! Though truthfully, I've heard a lot of reliability issues from people on here with 6505's, and none with 5150's, leading me to believe Peavey's quality control may have slipped over the years; the 5150s were rock solid, definitely find one used IMO!

excellent - but why did they decide to rename the amp if the 5150 had such a good rep? and im looking for the one with the bold numbering on the front yeah?

Their contract with Eddie Van Halen ended and they had to rename the amp because 5150 is a registered trademark (or something) of Eddie Van Halen. He's now endorsing Fender, and Fender has had the 5150 III out for a while now. The 6505 stands for 1965 to 2005, for the years Peavey had operated when the 6505 was launched.

they had to change it from 5150 because eddie van halen, whos signature amp it was, owns the copyright to 5150 after his home studio, the album and a bunch of other stuff, the schematic is essentially the same but with a few tweaks after he and peavey fell out over him not fulfilling his contract stuff at a few music shows and selling other guitars than the peavey made wolfgangs as his "proper guitars".
hope it helps
i bought a new 6505 about 18 months ago dont get to use it as much as id like because im at uni but i definitely recommend it if your after some brutal tone

sweet, well i'm not really satisfied with my triple rec tbh even with the mids cranked it just doesnt either have enoguh top end to compensate or it sounds too scooped. I reckon i'll need to try and play a 5150 first though before I buy...or are both amps in a totally different league? thanks man

Rectifiers are difficult beasts to dial, but I personally much prefer my Dual to the 5150; before you sell your triple, get a Tube Screamer (if you don't already have one) and put it before the amp (with Drive 8:30, Tone 11:00, Level 12:00), and use the following settings on the Orange channel, modern mode (or red channel if you have a 2 channel Triple):

Gain: To taste (I usually have it at 3:00 on my 2 ch. Dual)
Treble: 11:30
Mid: 10:00
Bass: 10:30
Presence: 1:00

And if you're still not happy with it then, then I guess you never will be! :D Also, what cab are you using? Cuz those are the settings I use with my Mesa Oversized 4x12 with V30s, might be different with, say, a Marshall with 75's

Just for the record, there is no difference between the 5150 EVH and the 5150 Signature. The reason that the logo was changed because EV (electro voice) threatened to sue Peavey because the logo was too similar to theirs. Only the tubes differed in the two models.

According to the location you're,i'd go to the guitarguitar store and check both the 6505+ and the EVH.They have some descend cabs too.But as for the price i reckon u can find cheaper on ebay:D

According to the location you're,i'd go to the guitarguitar store and check both the 6505+ and the EVH.They have some descend cabs too.But as for the price i reckon u can find cheaper on ebay:D

yeah man, one of my mates works at guitarguitar...he's the one that told me about the 5150/6505 similarity

and to metaltastic:

Celestion 30's are what im using - the mesa 4x12. Tried the settings sounds a bit muddy...but more full tone i like it... thing is im usually using impulses cause i cant run such a high volume its just not practical as i'm at home...can you recommend anything for the impulses?

Hmm, I've never used my Dual Rec with impulses, but as long as you're using a Tube Screamer, I'm kinda surprised those settings sound muddy! Maybe experiment with a bit more presence, but still, my vote is to keep the amp, and maybe this thread will help convince you; IMO the 5150 could never chug like that, though I guess whether or not that's a good thing depends on your tastes (I know I love it though! :headbang: )

I was talking to a friend of mine about selling my amp - mesa trip rec.

I asked him if there was a difference between the 5150 and the 6505 and he said there wasn't any difference at all? not even in the schematic or anything.

Is he b/s-ing?

:guh:

Hey, my buddy has a Triple Rec that's old style dual channel with 6L6s. What are these going for used? My buddy wants a different sound all together and I was gonna tell him to either sell it or try EL-34's because it needs re-tubed anyway so he might just say fuck it and sell it since a re-tube is gonna run about $250.

FWIW - I'd try a Tube Screamer/Boss SD-1 in front maybe with the tone knob up. I've yet to do that with my buddy's.

One more thing, can your Triple get a good clean sound? Seems like my buddy's don't get very clean but maybe he just don't know how to work it.

It took me awhile to realize that you can get a good clean out of 2 channel Rectos, it's just the preamp gain on the clean channel seriously has to be at around 9 o'clock so you can maintain some headroom! From there, though, the master gives you PLENTY of volume. And there's really not much difference between EL34's and 6L6's in a Recto, I've tried, and it's still the same amp (though I should try again, the last time I did I had just gotten the amp and man have I learned a lot about it since!). If he hasn't tried it with a Tube Screamer though, he hasn't truly played the amp AFAIC! But define "tone knob up"? I keep it at around 10:30 personally!

Hey, my buddy has a Triple Rec that's old style dual channel with 6L6s. What are these going for used? My buddy wants a different sound all together and I was gonna tell him to either sell it or try EL-34's because it needs re-tubed anyway so he might just say fuck it and sell it since a re-tube is gonna run about $250.

FWIW - I'd try a Tube Screamer/Boss SD-1 in front maybe with the tone knob up. I've yet to do that with my buddy's.

One more thing, can your Triple get a good clean sound? Seems like my buddy's don't get very clean but maybe he just don't know how to work it.

yeah dude my triple rec came with EL-34's in it - was used. Personally I hate the EL-34 sound...sounded way too choked and 'british' didnt really give that fat american tone I was after and wasnt enough gain......nah but seriously i always put the TS infront i just never had the right settings..i've got a load box for my cleans going from the speaker output on my amp and they cleans are tight as fuck, I can get anything I want from them. I sometimes alternate between the 'clean' and 'pushed' modes on my clean or if i want to dirty it up i put my ts infront of it. The clean channel cranked is superb...imo cleans are more about the guitar pickup than just the amp though....i hear such a difference though between an EMG pickup clean and an SD blackout clean..blackout clean is wayyy less compressed and nice and smooth like ....ice cream :)

they had to change it from 5150 because eddie van halen, whos signature amp it was, owns the copyright to 5150 after his home studio, the album and a bunch of other stuff, the schematic is essentially the same but with a few tweaks after he and peavey fell out over him not fulfilling his contract stuff at a few music shows and selling other guitars than the peavey made wolfgangs as his "proper guitars".
hope it helps
i bought a new 6505 about 18 months ago dont get to use it as much as id like because im at uni but i definitely recommend it if your after some brutal tone

AFAIK, every tech who has seen both schematics said they were the same.

The only difference at this point is the name of the amp and perhaps what tubes come stock.

Also, as far as reliability goes, I'd say its about the same for a 6505 or a 5150...I think it's a stretch to think much has changed with them just because the name has. My 6505+ is going on 4 years old, and it's not had so much as a hiccup.

As with most tube amps that encounter problems, I'd wager that most of the time it's the tubes that create the problem (blow, fail, become microphonic, etc.) and thus take out amp components. Kinda hard to blame the amp in that case.

It took me awhile to realize that you can get a good clean out of 2 channel Rectos, it's just the preamp gain on the clean channel seriously has to be at around 9 o'clock so you can maintain some headroom! From there, though, the master gives you PLENTY of volume.
Interesting... I'll give that a shot.

And there's really not much difference between EL34's and 6L6's in a Recto, I've tried, and it's still the same amp (though I should try again, the last time I did I had just gotten the amp and man have I learned a lot about it since!). If he hasn't tried it with a Tube Screamer though, he hasn't truly played the amp AFAIC! But define "tone knob up"? I keep it at around 10:30 personally!

I agree he needs a TS/OD tighten it up and give it some bite. By Tone knob up I meant the tone knob on the TS. When I used the SD-1 I kept it around noon but I suspect dudes amp needs it closer to 3 o'clock. His amp is just so VERY dark. I also think it's largely due to being desperately overdue for a re-tube.

yeah dude my triple rec came with EL-34's in it - was used. Personally I hate the EL-34 sound...sounded way too choked and 'british' didnt really give that fat american tone I was after and wasnt enough gain......nah but seriously i always put the TS infront i just never had the right settings..i've got a load box for my cleans going from the speaker output on my amp and they cleans are tight as fuck, I can get anything I want from them. I sometimes alternate between the 'clean' and 'pushed' modes on my clean or if i want to dirty it up i put my ts infront of it. The clean channel cranked is superb...

So you use an attenuator on just your cleans? Or do you mean all the time, clean or dirty?

imo cleans are more about the guitar pickup than just the amp though....i hear such a difference though between an EMG pickup clean and an SD blackout clean..blackout clean is wayyy less compressed and nice and smooth like ....ice cream :)

I LOL'd. My friend has EMGs in his 2 main guitars. I quit using them because I felt they were too compressed and muffled. I put a Dimarzio Evo and Tone Zone in my axe and it was an incredible difference. I think EMG's are great if you play super high gain loud as fuck because they're fairly even and they don't feedback as easy but most great players don't use them and I suspect there's a reason for that. Perhaps Blackouts are the perfect blend of EMG's and great passives. I've not had the opportunity to hear them in person.

the tube screamer makes a massive difference. fo serious.

i have very similar settings to marcus on my trec.

use very little overdrive on the ts and keep the tone and output a little under half.

im somewhat content(this wont last long though!)

but for now i am enjoying the tone alot.